cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
alanhoyle
Level 3
73 53 0 3
Message 1 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Palm Pre online backup/restore doesn't save third-party application data?

I had my Palm Pre replaced under warranty after the power button failed.  I was feeling pretty confident knowing that Palm has an automated, online backup/restore feature.  However, when I got the new phone, it did restore my app catalog apps, but it did not restore the data saved in those.  For example, I have a mileage-tracking app.  The app reappeared after restore, but I've lost 9 months of mileage data.  Also, I have a shopper program which has lost all of its data, and I've lost all of my apps and updated data in Classic.  I've also lost the progress in my games, etc.

This is terribly frustrating to me!  One of the greatest advantages of my old PalmOS devices was that if I lost or broke my old device, a HotSync restored my data, at least as recently as the last time I synced.  I also had automatic programs which could backup my RAM to a built-in memory card.  Now, I don't seem to have any way to backup my data!

Please, if you're going to advertise "automatic daily online backup" make it actually effective!

-alan

0 Kudos
10 REPLIES 10
alanhoyle
Level 3
73 53 0 3
Message 2 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I noticed that some of my third-party applications have export/import features and called up the Sprint store that had my phone.  They still had the device and let me get access to it to try to extract the data.  As soon as the phone connected to the internet (via wifi) it popped up a screen telling me that it was no longer connected to my Palm account and forced a reboot.  I was unable to get to the storage card or email my information off the phone.

Please, please come up with a better backup solution!   Change the online backup so that it, you know, ACTUALLY BACKS UP THE PHONE!  Cloud data came back, but there is no good solution for generic third-party data.

-alan

0 Kudos
alanhoyle
Level 3
73 53 0 3
Message 3 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I've also noticed that some of my "cloud" data didn't come back.  e.g. manually connected synergy links are not there anymore and some of the other data are missing.

This is quite irritating to me.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9
3,590 3,578 116 145
Message 4 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I do apologize that none told you this but here is a KB that shows you what is backed up in the Palm Profile

http://kb.palm.com/wps/portal/kb/common/article/19388_en.html

alanhoyle
Level 3
73 53 0 3
Message 5 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Perhaps it's just me, but an unreliable and incomplete backup solution is worse than no backup solution at all.  With no solution, I have no expectations as to what I'm going to be able to keep and know not to rely on my device.  The current backup is MISLEADING.  Glancing at the Backup app on my current device it says "Your data is backed up automatically every day" which is false in many important respects.

I cannot emphasize this enough:  either provide a COMPLETE and reliable backup solution or provide sufficient API hooks to let third-party developers to create one.  The current system is half-assed at best, and is an enormous step backwards when compared with older PalmOS devices and current smartphone competitors.

I would suggest using a solution like rsync for this efficiently over the network.

0 Kudos
Tags (1)
cagefighter
Level 2
32 32 0 0
Message 6 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I broke my last pre and recieved my new one.  However, after signing in, my free apps are there but the ones I paid for are not.  Seing how most of them are things like x-plane (9.99), so it is kind of a big deal.

I figured I could just go to the app catalogue and redownload for free, but they are not even showing up for me!

Palm, please help.

PS, can not get your online chat to work with Firefox or Internet Explorer.

0 Kudos
TreoAide
Level 7
1,024 1,024 32 38
Message 7 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello cagefighter;

Please update your device. If you just received a replacement, it is likely on a version before 3D gaming was available. This would explain why these apps are not showing up in your App Catalog.

If after updating you still cannot see or redownload these paid apps, let us know.

Hope this helps,

TreoAide

PS, make sure your popup blocker/security system isn't stopping the chat service download, and there are additional instructions for using chat with Firefox available on the chat page.

TA

0 Kudos
cagefighter
Level 2
32 32 0 0
Message 8 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I updated as soon as I got it.  In fact, Wi-fi stopped working after the update.

I have WebOS 1.4.1.1

0 Kudos
TreoAide
Level 7
1,024 1,024 32 38
Message 9 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The device downloads all compatible applications when you sign in. If you updated after signing in, you may need to sign back in again to redownload those applications.

First try a simple restart, and if you still cannot even see the 3D games in the app catalog, I would recommend a partial erase, which has been renamed in 1.4.11 to Erase Apps and Data.

If you're still having problems with these purchased apps or the app catalog at that point, I recommend calling our technical support department. There may have been a problem with the installation of the update.

Life moves fast. Don't miss a thing.

TreoAide

0 Kudos
alja1
Just joined
3 2 0 0
Message 10 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I cannot believe that more people have not agreed with Alan above.  This incomplete backup is a major step backwards.  I have experienced exactly what Alan posted above.  I love WebOS, but it doesn’t matter how good an OS is if you cannot back up data completely.  A complete back up should restore the device like an image of a drive.  PLEASE Palm, this is a deal breaker for me as I spend hours inputting data into third party applications.  I cannot have a phone that doesn’t completely back up.

0 Kudos
Tags (3)

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation