Note on archived topics.
05-30-2014 09:44 PM
I first connected the Prime to the PC / Conn kit and did a backup of the calculator.
Then I updated the Conn kit program on the PC.
Then I updated the firmware of the Prime.
That was fine. However, when I checked my "custom" apps (copy of a hard app like the spreadsheet but with my own data). They were void of data. Just the icon is there (and empty spreadsheets).
So I restored the backup I made before this. No change in the apps.
So what is the best way to get MY data back to the calculator within the apps? Data such as notes or programs are fine -- just the app instance data for copies of built-in apps is "gone".
Solved! Go to Solution.
06-03-2014 07:58 PM
I haven't seen any replies. But I got to thinking...
If I could restore my apps from the backup to the virtual prime and then copy from that to the Prime, I might be able to recover.
I did restore the most recent backup to the virtual Prime and found the same problem. I even tried the backup before that.
Now I am beginning to suspect:
that 'backup' does not backup apps that I copied from the built-in. I assumed 'backup', by definition, was supposed to get all data (and state info) that is user created. Isn't it?
It appears that I have lost all the data: custom spreadsheets filled with data. It's things like this that make me hesitant to really use the Prime for anything important.
06-03-2014 10:02 PM
In your backup archive, remove the "calc.settings" file and I beleive everything will reload. Note I haven't tested that and I don't a unit near me to do so, but I suspect it will work.
Although I work for the HP calculator group as a head developer of the HP Prime, the views and opinions I post here are my own.
06-03-2014 11:59 PM
Unfortunately, I do not think that it will...
Normally, the only lost data would be in the .hpapp files that start with an & (ie, the default apps).
If these are the ones that you are loosing, then you can try renaming them (and their associated .hpappprgm / .hpappnotes, if they mater) to another name and they should load (except for geometry, spreadsheet for which the file format has changed).
06-04-2014 08:47 PM
Sorry TIm, Cyrille was right. It did not work to delete that file from the backup zip and retry restore.
And sorry Cyrille, unfortunately the app data I am trying to recover are copies of the spreadsheet app. So if the spreadsheet file format has changed in this 'upgrade', then they can't be recovered?
06-04-2014 10:41 PM
When there is a will, there is a way...
The data is still there and could potentially be extracted...
How large is your spreadsheet?
You could for example do the following:
reload an earlier version of the emulator, open the spreadsheet app and type L1:=A:z(-1) in HOME.
This will return a list of list of... lists which contains 99% of your spreadsheet data...
go back to the new version of the firmware and you should then be able to store the data back in a new spreadsheet app...
L1 should be kept during this update...
I do not think that you can do directly A:z(-1):=L1
however, you should be able to do
for C:=1 to SIZE(L1) do for r:=1 to SIZE(L1(1)) do Cell(R,C,-1):= L1(C,R); END END
to get your data back...
You might also be able to modify the binary file and get it to load, but this would require editing the file in hex, which is a little bit more complicated.
06-05-2014 01:38 AM
could you please supply informations/documents about the binary file format(s) to the communities?
I think I can remember that other Prime users would like to restore their Spreadsheet data.
Many thanks in advance!
06-05-2014 07:14 PM
My spreadsheets are not large. I lean more toward editing the binary file -- as a S/W engr, I've been know to do that sometimes. And the idea of restoring the firmware back and doesn't appeal to me. I don't know off hand how I'd would do that. Where are the old versions kept?
So if there is a binary file format document, old and new versions, that would be fine. If the changes are straight forward, it seems like a quick program (perhaps written for the PC) would be easy to do and would help anyone with similar predicament. You development folks didn't write one already for your files, did you? <wink>
06-06-2014 01:45 AM
Old format is (from the top of my end, in low endian)
int 0x90 // should be at position 24 in the file if my memory serves me well...
New format is:
int 6 // change here!!!
int stuff // copy from old
int 0x9C // change here!!!
char more_stuff[0x90] // copy from old file
int Put_0_here // add 12 bytes set at 0 here
char Some_more_stuff[???] // copy end of file here..
So, change the 3 into a 6, change the 0x90 into 0x9c, insert 12 bytes in the appropriate location and it should work...
Upgrade at your own risk.
06-08-2014 11:43 PM
Thanks a million Cyrille!
It worked. The only difficulty was with windows and zip files (I had to install winzip to write the new backup zip file to restore from that had the updated files). It probably would have been easier just to do everything on my Linux machine but the conn kit was on the windows machine. I used 'xxd' in a cygwin shell to actually edit the files after some filtering with gawk (to remove ascii fields before text editing and to remove address field before xxd -r -p ... ). There are probably a hundred ways to edit a file in hex but xxd was something I knew and was a quick fix.