cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
kmom3
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post

Recovery won't work

HP Recommended
HP Pavillion x2
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (32-bit)

Need as much help as I can.  I needed to return my laptop to factory settings, but needed a recovery disk.  I attempted to create a recovery via USB on the laptop but wouldn't work.  So I did it from my desk top.  When I tried to use the USB to recover and set back to factory, it stated that there was an error and couldn't complete the installation.  From there, it would only let me 'retry'.  I couldn't get back into the computer at all.  So pressed F11 to advance settings and tried that way. First I got the error that the partition was missing.  So I went back to my desktop and downloaded the partition from HP onto the USB drive, in hopes that that would fix it.  When I went back to my laptop to retry, it stated that my windows driver was locked.  So back to my desktop to figure out how to unlock the windows driver via command prompt.  Did that, and retried again.  It looked like it might work, but I got the error that the installation wasn't able to complete again.  I tried to do a recovery to see if that would help and now I'm stuck on a blue screen that says RECOVERY, your PC needs to be repaired and that my boot configuration is missing or contains errors.  When I press ESC to try to get to my Boot options or anything for that matter, it just takes me back to the blue RECOVERY screen.  It won't let me do anything to attempt to repair or pull from the USB drive with the recovery media. 

How do I fix this, short of tossing my laptop against the wall....Thanks

Update:  With the blue screen of death, I have downloaded a complete version of Windows 8.1 on USB.  I went into the boot settings to make sure that the USB is used first, to ensure it boots off the usb.  I have tried both USB ports and it is not recognizing the USB ports at all, I'm assuming.  WTH?!  How am I supposed to fix this, if I can't get the computer to even read the USB with the recovery media or a fresh install?  GAH!  HELP!!!!

0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
Chimney_83
Retired
Retired
8,121 8,112 487 951
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Greetings @kmom3

Welcome to HP Forums and Thanks for the post. 

I understand that you are unable to perform a recovery a recovery on your computer using the recovery kit created on your computer, is that right?

Not to worry, I will be glad to assist you. 

Kudos to you for trying to troubleshoot the issue on your own.

Have you run a diagnostics on your computer?

May I know the exact product number of your computer? Click here. Please do not share the serial number of your computer.

Recommend you perform an extensive test on your computer to make sure all the components are working fine. Click here for assistance in running a system test on your computer. 

If all the tests pass, boot the computer to BIOS  by tapping F10 repeatedly on startup. 

Restore the BIOS to defaults. 

Make sure secure boot is enabled and the legacy boot is disabled under security in BIOS.

Save and exit BIOS. 

Shut down the computer. 

Connect the USB recovery kit to the computer. 

Turn the computer ON and keep tapping F9 repeatedly to get the boot order. 

Select USB boot device and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the recovery on your computer. 

If any of the tests fail, please contact our phone support for any service options available for your computer. 

Keep me posted. 

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation