cancel

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
CoveSurfer Tutor
Tutor
8 7 0 2
Message 1 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Removing Windows 10 Technical Preview from HP Stream 7

I purchased my HP Stream 7 to try out the Technical Preview, but I also wanted to make sure I could return to 8.1 if needed.  I created a recovery drive, attach it via USB OTG cable, however whether I start from power+volume down or from within the Windows 10 Update and Recovery settings menu, I encounter the same endless loop:

1.  Choose your keyboard layout (I select "U.S.")

2.  Choose an option (I select "Use a device")

3.  Use a device (I select "EFI USB Device")

4.  Reboots, goes to HP logo and spinning circles, and brings me back to the "Choose your keyboard layout" screen

Any ideas what I am doing wrong?

7 REPLIES 7
Professor
Professor
1,838 1,569 133 306
Message 2 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Do you have a powered hub connected to the OTG adapter with an external keyboard and mouse?  That may be required for the restore.

0 Kudos
CoveSurfer Tutor
Tutor
8 7 0 2
Message 3 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Yes, I've got the hub, keyboard, mouse and the USB recovery drive. Everything works, I just keep getting put through the endless loop.
0 Kudos
Professor
Professor
1,838 1,569 133 306
Message 4 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

When you power up with the volume button down, do you see the recovery USB drive available as a boot option and you select that to boot from?  If all else fails, you might run the battery all the way down to reset the CMOS, that has been required to break out of various boot up problems.

0 Kudos
CoveSurfer Tutor
Tutor
8 7 0 2
Message 5 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Yes, I see the drive; that is what I have been selecting. I will try to run the battery down and report back. 

I'm curious if anyone has tried to restore 8.1 on a Stream and been successful.

0 Kudos
Professor
Professor
1,838 1,569 133 306
Message 6 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

It looks like I did a restore from the recovery USB back in December reading this thread:

"I created the recovery USB, wiped the entire eMMC drive clean and then restored the tablet back to factory configuration from the USB so I can attest that it works well. To initiate the restore, press the power button and when you see the backlight, press the volume down rocker button and select the F9 boot option and select the USB drive to boot from. The recovery partition is also restored so you can create another copy of the recovery media if you want."

Maybe you should try wiping the entire drive clean first?  You could boot the Windows 10 USB and go to Advanced Options and it has the option to delete all the partitions.

0 Kudos
CoveSurfer Tutor
Tutor
8 7 0 2
Message 7 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Thanks - I was beginning to think the same thing.  I'll take a look at that post.  I did try running down the battery, and no luck.  I appreciate the feedback/suggestions.

0 Kudos
CoveSurfer Tutor
Tutor
8 7 0 2
Message 8 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

@kyle_b Thanks!  I ended up doing exactly what you suggested.  I used the TP installer to delete the partitions, then exited the installer, and used the recovery drive to install 8.1.  It was not straightforward; I ended up using the "refresh" option, and at one point was prompted to reset the TPM, but it worked.  Thanks!

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation