Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Stream
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)
I'm trying to free up space on my laptop by factory resetting it but when I try, it says I need to free up space first?? I've deleted everything I don't need and transferred everything I do onto a flash drive so I can't find anything else to delete to free up space. HELP! 😞
1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi

F11 only works when there is sufficient space, as you have experienced.

So Restore Points, do you have/need any?

Swap file size, reduce?

You could make an external recovery media, and consider deleting the F11 recovery area, once you have an OS and all the HP drivers saved onto a USB, or links to be able to download as needed.

Normally Windows does updates and keeps these for at 30 days locally, and does a purge every so often of old/expired updates.

Piriform Ccleaner is worth a mention.

Microsoft mention this (I use it on W10).... Task Scheduler

The StartComponentCleanup task was created in Windows 8 to regularly clean up components automatically when the system is not in use. This task is set to run automatically when triggered by the operating system. When run automatically, the task will wait at least 30 days after an updated component has been installed before uninstalling the previous versions of the component.

If you choose to run this task, the task will have a 1 hour timeout and may not completely clean up all files.

Run the StartComponentCleanup task in Task Scheduler to clean up and compress components

If Task Scheduler is not open, start the Task Scheduler. For more information, see Start Task Scheduler.

Expand the console tree and navigate to Task Scheduler Library\Microsoft\Windows\Servicing\StartComponentCleanup.

Under Selected Item, click Run

NB: The StartComponentCleanup task can also be started from the command line:
schtasks.exe /Run /TN "\Microsoft\Windows\Servicing\StartComponentCleanup"

You cannot just delete WinSXS as it's needed for long term stabilty, but for a re-install I would certianly look to trim it as much as possible.

You can make your own install OS USB using the Microsoft Creator Tool.

If in doubt please ask.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.