cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
DougSalah
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 8
Flag Post

Screen goes crazy after sleep

HP Recommended
HP Elite x2 1012 G1 Tablet
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

After resuming from sleep the screen flashes in random blocks.  To correct I have to shut down or restart the system.  I am running Windows 10 Pro Insider Preview b14316 with the latest video drivers 20.19.15.4390 Rev.A(1 Apr 2016).

0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
Photoray002
Level 15
Level 15
12,572 12,357 1,296 4,145
Message 2 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello Doug,

I just acquired a Spectre X2 Detachable 12-a012nr with Windows 10 home 64.

Within two hrs of taking it out of the box, when waking from sleep, the same thing happened to me too.

Flashing blocks and what looked like an LCD screen that had been hit, with the shattered colored lines that go with that kind of damage coming out of the corner. 

Restart the PC and its gone.

I will be pointing this info toward the HP folks.

I don't know when or if anything will happen but if I do hear something relevant, I will post back.

0 Kudos
Photoray002
Level 15
Level 15
Message 3 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Also it may be helpful to report on the forum how often it happens or if it has not done so anymore since the last incident.

0 Kudos
DougSalah
Author
2 1 0 0
Message 4 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Happens to me like clockwork every time it recovers from sleep. 100% of the time. If it does not go to sleep all is well.
0 Kudos
Photoray002
Level 15
Level 15
Message 5 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

OK.

Also have you tried setting the screen to a lower resolution as a test? Try this just to see what happens.

Mine has since stopped and I cannot duplicate the issue anymore.

0 Kudos
Photoray002
Level 15
Level 15
Message 6 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

And also go to the search bar and type in Device Manager and select it.

In the various drop down arrows for devices, look to see if there are any yellow caution signs next to the items.

Example: Display adapters

0 Kudos
wowzers
1 1 0 0
Message 7 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have owned 2 of these notebooks and both have done the same thing. 

1) No problem at all as long as it's plugged in. It only happens on battery power. And it is 100% repeatable every time.

2) It only happens after it is awakened from sleep mode. It wakes up ok, but within a few seconds the screen flashes, sometimes it seems ok for a minute or 2, then the screen goes blank and there is no response. 

3) If you can manage a restart before it goes blank it will restart and everything will be back to normal.

4) When it happens it gets real hot and immediately cools down after the restart is finished. Seems to be a heat issue that only happens during sleep mode on battery power.

I have updated everything, including the BIOS, that is available from HP. I have the latest Windows 10 update. It was happening before I updated Windows, and also after the update, so it seems to be an issue with the hardware.

I use mine for on-site work at my customer's offices so I have to deal with this issue several times each day. 

0 Kudos
Photoray002
Level 15
Level 15
Message 8 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Wowzers,

That is definitely aggravating.

I take it you are out of warranty now? 

If not, you need to contact HP Support asap.

Contact HP Worldwide | HP® Official Site

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation