cancel

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
TW-1 Top Student
Top Student
4 2 0 1
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Slate 21 s100/Pro - Android 4.4.2 KitKat - Problem with launcher/home apps

Hi,

Anyone tried to install a different launcher App (Nova for instance) after 4.4.2 upgrade? I experience problem with graphics performance after installation of such an app with ability to register as home app. The app does not even need to be started. Problems occur just after install from Play Store:

- Many animations are laggy. For instance horizontal swipe in Calendar app or animation in and out from the app list is quite laggy.

- The new menu entry "Home" in settings is probably there to select Home app, but the Settings app itself crashes when touching it.

After lots of debugging with own apps, I have a feeling that the graphics hardware acceleration is the problem, but I can not identify the root cause of this behaviour. We have many of these tablets and those which have been upgraded to 4.4.2 behaves the same bad way. The previous 4.2.2 worked perfectly fine. 4.3 that comes with the Pro tablet is also OK, but this also gets problem with KitKat.

It would be interesting to hear if others experience the same. 

Trond

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
Distinguished Professor
Distinguished Professor
3,672 3,397 171 517
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi!, TW-1:

I'm have a HP SLATE 21 k-100 All in One, model E2P19AA, with OS Google Android 4.4.2 KOT49H.... and installed from Google Play Store, the .apk Nova Launcher and run OK with excellent performance.

Try, with clean Cache and Data, in your Launcher.

Too, have installed Clean Master, CM Security and Norton Mobile Security.

Best Regards.

Maké.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
TW-1 Top Student
Top Student
4 2 0 1
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for sharing, but unfortunately none of your suggestions improved the performance.

I have tried other launchers as well. Install only, keeping the standard Launcher app as default. Once installed, window/view animations start lagging. Once uninstalled, the animations are smooth and normal.

Is it only on my Slates this is an issue? Easy test is to watch the animation when enter/exit the list of all apps using the standard built-in Launcher. Compare it with/without a second launcher installed. I have also factory reset several times by now, but that does not solve anything either. Go figure.

This happens on a Slate 21 4.2.2 after OTA upgrade to 4.4.2. 4.2.2 was working fine. Same with Slate 21 Pro going from 4.3, which worked also fine, but shows same behaviour after 4.4.2 upgrade.

Distinguished Professor
Distinguished Professor
3,672 3,397 171 517
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi!, TW-1:

Try, with clean cache, in Google Play Store and Services of Google.The Launcher's use much memory.

Good Luck !.

Best Regards.

Maké.

0 Kudos
Intern
Intern
32 25 0 5
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Same problem here in Japan. 

What I did to try to bypass HP and the lack of appropriate support for this machine, was to install Nova launcher and set up lollipop features. It worked like a charm. Most of the slaggyshness was resolved.

I also found a workaround to root the device with Kingroot/Kinguser so that I could rename/erase/move files on sd and usb like use to be with JB when I bought it.  All worked fine until I tried to do a factory reset (had unistalled a core apk that I wanted back) via menu+vol-.  The machine now can boot into the bootloader (I get all the options there), starts the factory reset wizard just fine but then when selecting the option WIFI/Ethernet .."wait a sec..." on screen and then, after a minute or two, it aborts the setup with prompt  "Unfortunately, setup wizard has stopped".

Does anyone have a fix for that?

BTW, clean cache didn`t work for me.

0 Kudos
TW-1 Top Student
Top Student
4 2 0 1
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for sharing, slate21jp.

Could you please elaborate what you mean by "set up lollipop features"? That sounds interesting. 

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation