Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Slate 7 extreme 4400US
Android 4.4 KitKat

My Slate 7 extreme began displaying the message "Google Play service has stopped working" and would not open Bluetooth communications.  It then began displaying the message when trying to open other apps.  I followed the HP Support instructions to uninstall the Google Play updates and return it to factory settings.  The tablet would not boot after this operation.  It hung at the HP splash screen.  I then followed the HP Support instructions to restore the kernel factory settings.  Same problem.  I then tried to re-install the Android operating system, but found no Android systems were available for the tablet.  It appears that Hewlett Packard has abandoned this product.

Presently the tablet is a brick.  Should I throw it away and warn others away from purchasing Hewlett Packard products?

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Greetings @BAE1,

Thanks for the post. 

I understand that you are tried to perform a factory reset on your tablet and is not booting past HP logo, is that right?

Kudos to you for trying to troubleshoot the issue on your own.

Not to worry, I will be glad to assist you. 

There is no Android image available for your tablet on HP website. 

Recommend you contact our phone support team to check the service options available for the tablet. 

Keep me posted. 

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

The number of the telephone support team is useless.  No one answers the phone.  Even after hours of waiting after calling at 0800.

HP Recommended

Hi! @BAE1, Thanks for stopping by the HP Support Forums!

I understand you would like to know how to update your tablet.

Don't worry I'll try to help you out.

Did you make any changes to your tablet?

As you mentioned you would like to know how to update your tablet.

I have checked the records and found the update for Jellybean for your tablet.

Try the steps recommended below to update your tablet to Jelly bean.

1. Download update.zip and copy the file to the root directory of an empty micro SD card in FAT 32 format.

2. Fully charge the phablet, and then disconnect the power from the device.

3. Power off the device.

4. Place the phablet on a flat surface, display panel side down, with the release notch pointed towards you.

NOTE: Before positioning the phablet with the display panel facing down, make sure the work surface is clear of any foreign objects. Failure to follow this caution can result in damage to the display panel assembly.

5. Remove the back cover. Use the release notch to remove the back cover.

6. Remove the battery. Use the release notch to lift the rear edge of the battery and pull it away from the battery connector.

7. Insert the micro SD memory card into the reader slot with the copper contacts directed away from you and facing downward.

8. Reverse the procedure detailed in step 6 to install the battery.

9. Reverse the procedure detailed in step 5 to install the back cover.

10. Press and hold the volume up button and power button at the same time.

11. When the HP logo appears on the screen, release all the buttons.

12. When the Android system recovery menu appears, use the volume down button to highlight "apply update from external storage."

13. Press the power button to validate "apply update from external storage."

14. Use the volume down button to highlight the software recovery file, update.zip.

15. Press the power button to select the update.zip file and launch the recovery.

NOTE: Wait until the entire recovery process finishes. The device might seem unresponsive at times (multiple reboots and black screens) when it is performing the update. 

Please find the link to download Jelly bean image for your tablet.

If the issue still persists try contacting HP support for service options.

Link to contact HP.

If the solution provided worked for you, please mark accepted solution for this post.

Let me know if this Helps!

Have a wonderful day ahead! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I followed your link to the Android Jelly bean file and downloaded it to a micro SD card.  Starting the tablet per the instructions began the update process, but it halted with the message "This package is for 'Pomegranate' devices; this is a 'olive'.  E:Error in /tmp/sideload/package.zip  (Status 7)  Installation aborted."

Still not fixed.

HP Recommended

@BAE1, Thanks for your quick response and time.

I appriciate your efforts for writing back to us.

As you mentioned when you try to install the image you are getting error This package is for 'Pomegranate' devices; this is a 'olive.

Give me some time to research on this issue and will get back to you with the correct image for your tablet.

Have a great day ahead!

Take Care! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Please help me too! I need just original recovery for device. I tryed to root and recovery brocked. Need stock recovery file

HP Recommended

@Shwidor

Welcome to HP Forums, 

This is a great place to get support, find answers and tips, 

Thank you for posting your query, I'll be more than glad to help you out 🙂 

As I understand you need the original recovery files for your device,

I'd like to thank you for the detailed description of your concern,

as you have ensured I don't have to ask any more questions, that said, since the files aren't available via download links I have to offer,

I recommend you Contact HP for further assistance regarding the same.

HP Support can be reached by clicking on the following link:  

* Open link:  www.hp.com/contacthp/

* Enter Product number or select to auto detect

* Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"

* Scroll down and click on HP contact options - click on Get a Case & phone number.

They will be happy to assist you immediately. 

If the unit is under warranty repair services under the manufacturer's warranty will be free of charge.

If you would like to thank me for my efforts to help you, 

feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, 

Followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution".

Have a great day!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.