cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
The HP Calculator Community Message Board is moving. While we prepare for the move, we are unable to accept new postings. During the move, you can look for help from other users by visiting https://www.hpmuseum.org/ . Or if you need technical support for your calculator visit: HP Calculators. .
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
T-Boondoggle
Level 1
2 1 0 4
Message 1 of 40
Flag Post

Solved!

Stream 8 T-Mobile activation failure

HP Recommended

I bought an HP Stream 8 tablet (model number 5901) three days ago, and I still haven't been able to set up the free monthly 200MB of T-Mobile data that's supposed to come with it.

As indicated in the tablet's instructions, I turn off Wi-Fi, turn on Mobile Broadband, and connect to T-Mobile. Internet Explorer opens to https://mim.t-mobile.com/primary/openPage. I then click on the Get Connected button. After a few seconds, I end up at https://mim.t-mobile.com/jsp/ServiceUnavailable.jsp. That page tells me, "We're sorry...We were unable to complete your request. Please go back and try again." Trying again simply generates the same message.

The page also tells me to call 1-800-937-8997, and T-Mobile will be "happy to help." I tried that, and a bunch of confused Indian T-Mobile reps simply transferred me back and forth between the tech support and activation departments. I called HP as well, and they just transferred me back to T-Mobile (which is what I'd expect).

Is anyone else experiencing this problem? Does this possibly mean that the T-Mobile SIM card that came in my tablet is defective? Or does it mean that T-Mobile's Connect Me site has been down for the past three days? Could it mean that the T-Mobile network's signal strength is too weak? I'm getting three out of five bars at the moment when connected to Mobile Broadband, which does show me connected to T-Mobile via HSPA+. All I know for sure is that I'm getting pretty irritated by this whole thing.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SiobhanF
Retired
Retired
1,593 811 30 78
Message 35 of 40
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP Stream 8 Customers:

The temporary issue that was preventing activation of HP Stream 8 devices on T-Mobile’s mobile internet service has been resolved. 

If you have not activated the Free Data for Life promotion on your device, please follow the activation instructions provide in the box, or go to www.hp.com/go/freemobility for a step-by-step activation guide.

Again, we apologize for the inconvenience and sincerely appreciate your patience.

HP Mobility Team

T-Mobile Customer Care

I worked for HP.

View solution in original post

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
39 REPLIES 39
ScotianSure
1 1 0 1
Message 2 of 40
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Take your unit and reciepts (or proof of purchase) to a Corporate T-mobile store_They can check your SSim and burn a new one if needed. Hope it works for you. I'm trying that too.

JubileeTheBear
2 2 0 0
Message 3 of 40
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I've had the exact same problem. I bought mine from Amazon over thankgiving weekend and still have been unable to activate my 200mb of free data.

I took the tablet into my local T-Mobile store and after getting everything almost set up, the Sales Rep informed me that the SIM card was for a mobile phone and not for tablets. I could only set up my device on a paid plan. 

I'm planning on taking my tablet back into the store soon and seeing about getting a replacement SIM card. If that fails, I'm going to get a replacement from Amazon. Hopefully you get everything sorted out as well!

EDIT: It's the IMEI and not the SIM card that's the probkem. I mis-heard the rep.

T-Boondoggle
Author
Level 1
2 1 0 4
Message 4 of 40
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Well, activation still isn't working, so I took my tablet in to a T-Mobile store. The guys there were nice, and at least they tried. They even endured a lengthy wait on hold to reach T-Mobile's internal Solutions Center (laughably described as the "special forces ninjas of tech support"). Nothing worked, including paying the $10 fee they said usually applies to Free Data for Life plans (they gave me a refund after this failed as well). So I'm exchanging my tablet for another one through Amazon.

I know this is just a cheap tablet, but it sure would be nice if HP and T-Mobile cared enough to have some process in place to troubleshoot activation problems. Instead, they don't even care enough to publish correct documentation. Did anyone else notice the error in the Setup and Activation Guide that's posted at http://www.hp.com/go/freemobility? They recommend that we install T-Mobile's Connect Me app through the Google Play Store. Um, this is a Windows tablet, not Android.

Anyway, I guess I'll see if my replacement Stream 8 has the same problem when it shows up. In the meantime, if anyone else who's been unable to activate their T-Mobile data stumbles across a way to fix the problem, I'd love to know how you did it.

hlshure
2 2 0 0
Message 5 of 40
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I just bought my tablet from the Microsoft Store a few days ago and I have had the same exact problem. Extremely frustrating. No one anywhere seems to know how to fix this. Did your replacement tablet ever connect?

jleblan1
Level 1
4 3 0 4
Message 6 of 40
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Mine initially wouldnt activate but after about 3 or 4 days it let me go through the set-up. YMMV I think it takes a few days for t-mobiles IMEI device registry to recognize this is a tablet eligible for the free data for life promotion.

JubileeTheBear
2 2 0 0
Message 7 of 40
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The problem is the IMEI. For some reason T-Mobile recognizes it as a phone and not a tablet.

Hopefully T-Mobile corrects it, otherwise I'm going to send it back to Amazon for a replacement.

hlshure
2 2 0 0
Message 8 of 40
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I just got my data activated on my tablet. Called my local store and a rep there took my sim number of the tablet and activated it on a prepaid account. After that I restarted the tablet, actually I wiped it to start fresh, and it worked from there. Hope this works for the rest of you.

DanMP
1 1 0 0
Message 9 of 40
Flag Post
HP Recommended
I also am hitting this same issue and got the same run-around. I just received my tablet from Amazon a couple of days ago so I will give it a few more days to see if it is able to activate - otherwise I guess I'm shipping it back. Frustrating that there is no support for this issue (between HP and t-mobile neither is willing to own the problem) but at least I know Amazon will replace the device for me.
BobinPA
2 2 0 0
Message 10 of 40
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Having the same problem with my Stream 8.  Was hoping after a couple days and a couple tries it might work but no luck.  Found this t mobile imei web checker - http://www.t-mobile.com/verifyIMEI.aspx - I ran my imei through and it comes up "

We do not recognize the IMEI number you entered."

Not encouraging.  HP's message boards seem to be for the customers to help each other rather than for HP to step in an provide answers.  Also not encouraging.  Will take the tablet to a local t mobile store over the weekend and hope they can fix it, otherwise the tablet is getting returned to Amazon.  Maybe if enough come back HP will learn their lesson. 

ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation