Create an account on the HP Community to personalize your profile and ask a question
04-09-2019 04:44 AM - edited 04-09-2019 06:13 AM
I have a HP Spectre x360 Convertible 13-ae0xx with Windows 10 Professional x64 upgraded to version 1803 on 04/04/2019 (Windows Operation System version 17144.677)
Processor Intel Core I7-8550U CPU @ 1.80GHz 1.99GHz
RAM installed : 16.0 GB (15.8 usable)
From HP support (throw HP Support Assistant), I upgraded all what was needed.
Between the upgraded elements, is the BIOS that was upgraded from F.21 to F.24
Windows update took me from version 17... to 1803
Today, I get a message from TPM side "A firmware update is needed for your security processor (TPM)"
According to Microsoft, I did download of the sp84186 from HP support site, for my HP spectra x360 Convertible 13-ae0xx
But when running that file (on the same computer - HP spectra x360 Convertible 13-ae0xx), inside the installation software, I was told that the Bios will be update to version F.1
So I am confused; I am not sure that I have to upgrade bios from a version F.24 to F.1. F.11 is older isn't it !
I stopped the process on that stage without going far.
I did a chat with Microsoft people and I have been told (there response) that Bios issues have to be fixed by the manufacturer.
04-10-2019 05:32 PM
Thank you for posting on HP Support Community.
Are you able to use your computer?
Are you getting any error message or code?
While you respond to that, let's try these steps: clearing the TPM cache
Open the TPM MMC by typing tpm.msc in the service box
If the User Account Control dialog box appears, confirm that the action it displays is what you want, and then click Yes.
Under Actions, click Clear TPM.
You will be prompted to restart the computer. During the restart, you might be prompted by the UEFI to press a button to confirm that you wish to clear the TPM.
After the PC restarts, your TPM will be automatically prepared for use by Windows 10.
Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
I am an HP Employee
04-11-2019 04:32 PM
Here are some responses :
I am not a computer specialist, but Yes I am able to use my computer.
No, I get no any other error message except the one for the TPM.
Trying to clear TPM cache : Here are the steps and the results
1. Open TPM MMC by tiping tpm.msc : OK
2. Confirm that the action is it displays is what I want and to click YES : No need ; The Yes button appers nowhere.
3. Under Actions, click on Clear TPM : OK
4. During start you might be prompted by the UEFI to press a button .... : No need ; No prompt appears.
5. After the PC restarts, your TPM will be automatically prépared for use by windows 10 : The version of TPM is still 5.61.2785.0; it did not change. The TPM error message is still here.
I also tried to clear the TPM throw Windows Security. I get the same result. The version did not change and the TPM error message is still here.
I did not try the other last procedure witch request "Clear TPM Method using BIOS Setup". Want to be safe and I wait for your help about these results.
04-13-2019 02:56 PM
I would suggest before you start updating or flashing bios please back up your files and data.
As above troubleshooting steps failed to fix the issue, I would request you to perform the next step "Clear TPM using BIOS setup"
Work on it as per your convenience and keep me posted on the results.
I am an HP Employee
04-19-2019 09:35 AM
First of all, I have to tell you that I am a french speaking, so my english will be some times, very poor.
I did try to update TPM from the BIOS.
The Computer was completely blocked because of the Bitlocker key that I have is rejected. I remenber now that I did save the key before upgrade to windows version 1803. And I did not do another before trying to pass through the BIOS to upgrade my TMP.
We were obliged to completely reinstall windows 10 professional, update it until I reached the version 1803.
Now I get the same two errors as in previous case :
- Windows Defender Security Center / Device Performance and Integrity / Device Driver ; Error message : “Intel Smart Sound OED Driver has a problem with the driver";
- Windows Defender Security Center / Device Security / Security Processor / Security Processor Details / Security Processor Troubleshooting ; Error message “A firmware update is required for your security processor (TPM)";
Here are the steps that I have processed through and my questions at the end of this text.
From here, you are reading a Google translate text, so please ask me again if something is not clear.
- Windows Defender Security Center / Device Performance and Integrity / Device Driver
- Message “One or more pilots have problems";
- Problem search:
- Message “Intel Smart Sound OED Driver has a problem with the driver";
- Download recommendation
- Downloaded through HP Support Assistant from sp87982 for Realtek High Definition Audio Driver ;
- Driver installation by running sp87982; Successful installation;
- The sp87982 cleans all existing drivers for HP Spectrum sound and installs its version of Realtek High Definition Audio (SST);
- Findings made:
- The error message in “Windows Defender Security Center / Device Performance and Integrity / Device Driver" has disappeared;
- The BIOS version has changed from F. 21 to F. 24;
- Windows Defender Security Center / Device Security / Security Processor / Security Processor Details / Security Processor Troubleshooting
- Error message “A firmware update is required for your security processor (TPM)";
- The “For more information », send you on the Microsoft page https://www.microsoft.com/en-us?rtc=1
- Then I did a Google search with the message “A firmware update is required for your security processor (TPM)" ;
- Result: I am redirected to the page https://support.microsoft.com/fr-fr/help/4096377/windows-10-update-security-processor-tpm-firmware
- I therefore followed the instructions of the procedure given by Microsoft, namely:
- Step 1 :
The Windows Update version 1803, update of Windows 10 Professional is present. The WU indicates that there is no update available;
- Step 2: Install the applicable firmware updates
Item 3 of the “HP Customer Support" table indicates a link to download the firmware to https://support.hp.com/fr-fr/document/c05792935
HPSBHF0356568 rev. 11 - Infineon TPM Security Update
As you scroll through the tables, you will find information about my HP Spectre x360 13 Convertible PC (models 13-ae0xx) / SLB9665 TPM 2. 0 ver. 5. 62. 3126. 0 / SP84186 / https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp84001-84500/sp84186.exe
Download of sp84186 has been done.
When installing the sp84186, an information message comes to my attention: “This Utility will update the BIOS to version F. 11" ;
I STOPPED THE PROCESS BY CLICKING ON THE “CANCEL" BUTTON.
As a result, the TPM was no longer updated. The error message “A firmware update is required for your security processor (TPM)" is still present.
7. My questions:
The update of the “Intel Smart Sound - Realtek High Definition Audio (SST) OED Driver"; leads to an update of the BIOS to version F. 24 (installed on my HP Spectre) ;
The TPM firmware update leads to the BIOS update to version F. 11 (not installed on my HP Spectre) ;
- How do I update the TPM with an F. 24 version of the BIOS witch is already installed on my computer ? What should I do?
- Is there a firmware version of the TPM for my HP Spectre that could be compatible with the BIOS version F. 24 already installed? Where can I find it ?
- Is sp84186-specific BIOS version F. 11 compatible with BIOS version F. 24 and updates of hardware and software components already installed on my HP Spectre ?
04-20-2019 11:57 AM
I appreciate your efforts to try and resolve the issue To fix this error, I would suggest ship the unit in for physical diagnosis, you can contact our Support and our Support Engineers should be able to check the available service options for your computer. HP Support can be reached by clicking on the following link: www.hp.com/contacthp/
Please feel free to contact us here anytime you need any further assistance. Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
I am an HP Employee
04-20-2019 12:56 PM - edited 04-20-2019 12:57 PM
To ship the unit ?
Where to ship it ?
I am living in Mali (west africa). I can see that there is only support for printers in our contry. I can also see that something is possible in Dakar / Senegal, Conakry / Guinea and Abidjan / Ivory Cost.
But i want to be sure if it is possible to fix this TPM problem in these places ?