cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents and videos on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents and videos on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
The HP Calculator Community Message Board is moving. While we prepare for the move, we are unable to accept new postings. During the move, you can look for help from other users by visiting https://www.hpmuseum.org/ . Or if you need technical support for your calculator visit: HP Calculators. .
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
hyperbole
Just joined
5 4 0 0
Message 1 of 12
Flag Post

Touchpad Lost when sent for repair

HP Recommended

Hi all,
Just wanted to get some advice with regards to warranty repairs / replacements.

My Touchpad developed a hardware fault and WebOS team agreed to have it repaired. So on the 26 th of October my Touchpad was collected by UPS. After two weeks I decided to get an update on the progress of the repair and was told that the item has not been received.

The case was escalated and the chaos begun. I started getting phone calls from UPS asking me details of the collection order which was strange as I had nothing to do with this as HP arranged the collection.
Every time I called WebOS team I was told to call the next day. They seemed clueless as to what the process was and could not give me an ETA.

I contacted UPS last week and was told that the case had been resolved and compensation is to be issued for the lost item. So I called HP / WebOS team and they were clueless as per usual. "There is nothing on the notes " is all I kept hearing and was told to wait. I asked to speak to complaints department,  manager or anyone who could help but to no avail.  

On Friday I received a voicemail from HP asking to send a proof of collection.  This got me very angry as I have already provided them with a collection slip in order to escalate the case. 

I called WebOS team to clarify. Now they are asking me to deal with UPS directly and to fill out compensation form. This is really frustrating, I have to provide transportation costs, goods value etc. HP arranged the collection and I should not be dealing with UPS.

Sorry it's a bit long-winded but I would like to know what are the possible outcomes of this process?

Will I get my touchpad replaced or is UPS going to compensate me? WebOS team are unable to answer this question unfortunately.

Many thank.

Post relates to: HP TouchPad (WiFi)

11 REPLIES 11
sinanju
Level 3
36 32 1 1
Message 2 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

They are, indeed, clueless...  Sadly, you need to own as much of the issue as you can -- statements like "I had nothing to do with this" and "I should not be dealing with UPS", however correct they may be, aren't helpful.

1. Did you get the tracking number for the shipment from you to the repair depot? If so, what does the UPS online status say about the shipment?
  2. You said that UPS is going to "issue compensation".  To whom? You or HP?  If they are issuing compensation to HP, then HP should be sending you a replacement touchpad.
Was this reply helpful? Yes No
hyperbole
Author
Just joined
5 4 0 0
Message 3 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

As far as I am concerned, HP are obliged to fix a faulty product under warranty, they arranged collection with UPS and I don't see any reason why should I be taking this matter into my hands and dealing with UPS. HP has an agreement with UPS, UPS messed up and HP should be taking responsibility for this, not me!

1.I do have the tracking number. I subscribed to a UPS online tracking system and provided my email to get any updates.

I received an email last week from UPS with status update : " CLAIM ISSUED (RESOLUTION) " .  Also, when using online tracker it comes up as " Tracer request. / Claim issued. " You can see it for yourself here.

Shortly after this happened, WebOS team asked me to fill out a compensation form and send it off to UPS.

2. WebOS support team were unable to answer this question and  I was hoping someone could help me here.

sinanju
Level 3
36 32 1 1
Message 4 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP are obliged to fix a faulty product under warranty

They are

they arranged collection with UPS

They did

I don't see any reason why should I be taking this matter into my hands and dealing with UPS

You don't? 

Um... sure... Strictly speaking, HP pushed you into the relationship with UPS.  But, in the end, it's your Touchpad and it's missing. 

Let me put it this way: Let's say you're right and it's all on HP.  Would you rather be right or happy?

I would do two things:

1. Pressure HP to agree to supply a replacement in exchange for directing UPS to provide HP with any compensation due.
  2. Pressure UPS to resolve the issue of compensation as quickly as possible either to you or HP.

In the end, you're going to have to decide what you want.  If you want a quick resolution, you're going to have to own the situation whether you should have to or not.  If you want a replacement Touchpad, you're going to have to get HP to source it for the price UPS is going to pay you or you're going to have to find it somewhere else.  If you'd rather have the cash, you're going to have to get HP to tell you what it would cost to get a refurb from them to know what to demand from UPS.

But, make no mistake.  UPS lost your Touchpad.  In the end, the most efficient way to a resolution is to make this and issue between you and UPS.

hyperbole
Author
Just joined
5 4 0 0
Message 5 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I thought I would let you know that UPS got back to me saying I need to be making a calim with UPS in Hungary where apparently the item was lost. You still think I should be dealing with UPS?

I called HP and had a go at them. It's in their hand now. Totaly useless they are.

sinanju
Level 3
36 32 1 1
Message 6 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I think you should certainly pressure both camps.  Making a claim with UPS Hungary is a load of crap. 

You're in the UK, right?  Googling for the UPS Managing Director in your country and sending them a stern, but professionally worded letter would do a surprising amount of good.  It's odd how people still take snail mail seriously, but they do.  You might even send it via UPS....

hyperbole
Author
Just joined
5 4 0 0
Message 7 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

To be honest, I don't want to be wasting anymore time. I left it with HP. 

Now coming back to my original question, does anyone know how  I can file a formal complaint with HP? I would like them to compensate me for this time wasting.

hyperbole
Author
Just joined
5 4 0 0
Message 8 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

So I called them yesterday and was told that I am getting a replacement.

I was very happy that I was finally getting my device back but angry that they did not bother calling and letting me know after all the mess that happened. They promised it would take 7 to 10 days so I was excited when I got home today and it was there!

I opened the box and noticed fingerprints all over the device and some dust. It looked used but I was not bothered. Then I realized the plastic that wraps around one of the speakers was cracked! This made me very angry!  I though I would use it over the weekends and send it back on Monday. So I tried powering it on but it would not start. I charged it for 40 minutes and finally got the charging battery logo but guess what?

Horizontal colorful lines across the middle of the screen and top section of the screen is dead! This was EXACTLY the same problem that I had with a Touchpad I sent for repair originally.

I wonder if they have found my device and sent it back to me or this is someone else broken device that has not been checked.

So you think I should take this matter into my own hands and maybe fix the device myself?

Pics :

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1237934/Broke1.jpg

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1237934/Broke2.jpg

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1237934/Broke3.jpg

sinanju
Level 3
36 32 1 1
Message 9 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

It may have broken in transit.  It's a common problem from which I've suffered myself.  The break will mysteriously appear, even if the device lays untouched. I opted for repair.

The option to repair is yours. I know you've had one bad experience... Who knows if lightning will strike twice.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 10 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hyperbole, I believe that you should handle the claim with UPS.  You are actually the customer, not HP.  UPS will help you get the problem solved.

ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation