Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP stream 11
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)
I recently tried to factory reset my laptop due to selling it on- but the reset failed and I didn't attempt to try again. For the past 24 hours it has not let me log in. When I first power it on it takes 5 minutes to take me to the start screen as all it is doing is flashing through the start up photo and a black screen. All my usual stuff at is on my screen has gone back to basic but my account stays intact. It won't let me log in, it tries to log me in but always shuts down or turns my screen black. I need a solution for this ASAP.
4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi @probs_unhappy,

Thanks for engaging in HP support Forums! This is a wonderful location to converse with the community, get assistance and find tips! 

I came across your post and wanted to assist you. I understand you are having issues with the computer won't boot into Windows anymore. Don't worry as I have a few suggestions which should help you resolve this issue.

To provide you with an accurate solution, I'll need a few more details:

Could you provide me with the exact model of the notebook? Please use this link to find this information: http://hp.care/2bygf7l

Was there any update or reset interrupted?

Did this happen after a power surge or power outage?

Have you tried to perform any test on the computer from F2?

Perform a Hard reset on the notebook

• If Windows is open, click Start and then Shutdown. 

• If Windows is not open and the computer has power, press and hold the power button on the computer until the computer shuts off. 

• With the pogo through the were off, disconnect the power cord from the back of the computer. 

• With the power off and the power cord disconnected, press the power button on the computer for 5 seconds. The power light indicator on or near the power button might turn on briefly but then go out. 

• Reconnect the power cord and turn on the power. 

Attempt to reset or recover the existing BIOS (if the recent update was interrupted): Click here 

Run a System diagnostics test as well as an extensive test on the Hard drive and Memory from F2 (Please capture the failure ID for further assistance).

If the test fails, I would suggest this could be a possible hardware failure. I would recommend you contact our HP phone support for further assistance.

If the test passes, In this scenario, I would suggest you could attempt to perform a System recovery once again using the partition available on your PC. 

HP PCs - How to Reset Your Computer to Factory Settings (Windows 10, 8, 7)

Doing this will wipe off everything and set the computer back to the original factory conditions. So, please remember to back up your data before initiating system recovery. If for some reason the recovery fails. The only other way to install Windows would be to order the recovery media for your laptop and using the recovery media you can install Windows. You can check if the recovery media is available online on www.hp.com/drivers by entering the exact model no. of your laptop. To find the exact model no. click here: http://hp.care/2bygf7l

HP PCs - Obtaining HP Recovery Discs or an HP USB Recovery Drive

Otherwise, you could also reach HP phone support to order the recovery media. If your product is out of warranty, please choose paid options to get the tech support number.

HP Technical Support can be reached by clicking on the following link: http://h22207.www2.hp.com/us-en/?openCLC=true

(1) Once the support page opens please select the country in which you're located. Next, enter your HP model number on the right.

(2) Next, choose the 'Contact Support' tab at the top and scroll down to the bottom of the 'HP Support- Contact' page to fill out the form provided with your contact information.

(3) Once completed click the 'Show Options' icon on the bottom right.

(4) Lastly, scroll down to the bottom of the page and select 'Get the phone number.' A case number and phone number will now populate for you.

If you have any troubles, let me know and I will do my best to help!

Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well,

It's been a pleasure interacting with you and I hope you have a good day ahead.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accepted Solution.

And click on the Purple Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
Thanks Jeet_Singh but what I tried to do was factory reset it, and it failed at 64%. I then ran tests to see if there was anything wrong but they failed too.
My laptop does not have any stickers to show its model number. It is a HP Stream 11
HP Recommended

Hi @probs_unhappy,

Thank you for replying,

As I understand you were unable to restore the computer back to the factory settings, more over when you ran the test on the computer which failed, so Just wanted to check if you have captured the error. If so, I would recommend you contact our HP phone support for available service related options. If your product is out of warranty, please choose paid options to get the tech support number.

HP Technical Support can be reached by clicking on the following link: http://h22207.www2.hp.com/us-en/?openCLC=true

(1) Once the support page opens please select the country in which you're located. Next, enter your HP model number on the right.

(2) Next, choose the 'Contact Support' tab at the top and scroll down to the bottom of the 'HP Support- Contact' page to fill out the form provided with your contact information.

(3) Once completed click the 'Show Options' icon on the bottom right.

(4) Lastly, scroll down to the bottom of the page and select 'Get the phone number.' A case number and phone number will now populate for you.

If you have any troubles, let me know and I will do my best to help!

Hope this helps, for any further queries reply to the post and feel free to join us again

Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well,

It's been a pleasure interacting with you and I hope you have a good day ahead.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accepted Solution.

And click on the Purple Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I also had that problem with the HP stream 11 and the reason you can't reset it is because you're only removing your apps but you're not removing the building apps that come with the computer after trying and trying I did that you see where when you click the Windows button and you see Netflix you seen Candy Crush you see Xbox you have to remove all of those two and then it'll work but be careful when you're doing that if you're windows that you have on your computer can with the computer. I say this because when I redid it now it says active Windows go to settings to activate but I don't have the key because it came built in and there's no stickers in the bottom with the key or anyting. So if you use it with the watermark at the right-hand corner saying that you won't be able to call Microsoft and something goes wrong look windows to get any help.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.