Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
hp-pavilion-10-k000-x2-detachable-pc
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

I ordered a USB restore drive for my hp-pavilion-10-k000-x2-detachable-pc in April and have been pulling my hair out since.  It boots, reboots several times while installing as per the process (normal) and eventually arrives to a screen that says the restore has failed and offers to retry, cancel or save the log.  The log contains a failed device  "I2C HID Not working" which may or may not equate to the keyboard I'm not sure.  What I do know is the device restores and works properly when using the retail Windows 8.1 ISO and generic key from the MS site and then drivers downloaded from HP so no hardware is actually failed.  The problem is the key in the BIOS is for Windows 8.1 with Bing (here to after called Win8 OEM) and that does not activte the OS when using the retail ISO. 

My feeling is the USB restore disk from HP ($46.27) contains a corrupt driver and is failing to restore the computer.  I am not comfortable grabbing a Win8 OEM ISO from a torrent but, would like to either get a replacement USB disc or an HP provided Win8 OEM copy without all the device specific drivers (I can get those from the site after a clean install.)  Also, I've read and tried all the threads about setting the BIOS date back to 2014, updating the BIOS to version 10 and none of that works.  Any help please.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi:

Unfortunately, I wouldn't be able to help you with the recovery media not working, but I did make a W8.1 w/Bing 64 bit ISO file from this torrent, and it seems to work fine.  I made it just in case I ever need to help someone that has one of these operating systems, or get a used notebook myself.

It should work with the product key in your notebook's BIOS without the need to enter a generic key.

The torrent file is toward the bottom of the page.  You will need to download software such as Bittorrent.

https://www.pcsteps.com/210-download-windows-8-1/

HP Recommended

I saw that guide. I guess I can scan the heck out of it and give it a try. 

HP Recommended

That's what I did.

Ran the file through a virus scanner.

After you install it, you can run it through the virus check again.

I have not heard of any negative reports regarding that file.

I know that one other person on this forum used the file, and said it worked with no issues.

If it works for you too, you can try to get your money back for the recovery media you bought that won't work.

HP Recommended

So far the Bing ISO is not booting. Tried three different usb sticks different sizes and different manufacturers. Writing image with Rufus set to GPT and fat32. Selecting the usb or manually the EFI file during boot up always results in unable to boot device message. Set BIOS to disabled for secure boot and there is no setting for legacy boot. Tablet boots fine with retail ISO and HP provided Bing ISO (of course the HP provided Bing restore sticks still fails after installing drivers but the point is the tablet recognizes valid bootable usb sticks and the torrent ISO is not booting. ) I’m not sure how people are getting the torrent Bing ISO to boot. 

HP Recommended

I burned the ISO file to a DVD and it worked just fine for me.

I realize that is not an option for you unless you have an external USB DVD drive laying around.

Try the W7 ISO to USB/DVD tool I zipped up and attached below to transfer the ISO file to your USB flash drive.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.