Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
608 G1
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Recently I bought 2 HP Pro Tablets 608 G1 and as a tech the first thing I did was update the drivers and the BIOS. HP Provides the latest drivers and BIOS here

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-pro-tablet-608-g1/7484083

From the forums I discovered that some were claiming the BIOS update bricked their tablet. I posted an article why some brick here

http://www.dewaynewatts.com/home/hp-pro-tablet-608-g1-battery-issues

But I do not believe the BIOS update provided by HP actually caused the tablet to brick, more along the lines of user impatience. I have 5 IT certs/degrees and worked in tech support for a large computer company and learned that many users are simply impatient. I updated the BIOS on both of the tablets I bought and both when fine. However the update took about 10 minutes maybe more. Once you tap the exe file from within Windows it will take a few minutes to extract and then then tablet will reboot, but it boots to a black screen with tiny wording and it appears to stick, and that appear to stick last about 8-9 minutes and in my experience many inexperienced users think something went wrong and hold the power button down attempting to restart and it bricks. So my advice.

1) If you have never updated a BIOS and you do not want to read the instructions then you may want to ask a tech friend to help or advise you.

2) read the directions on how to update the BIOS, it does mention that there may be a delay and not to force restart the tablet.

3) If you do opt to update the BIOS, start the process and walk away, go eat, or watch an hour TV show, but allow the tablet to do it job.

The worst think I have seen when an inexperienced person updates firmware on a device and they will sit and hold it  and in doing that they get frustrated that it appears to be taking too long.

So if you update that BIOS please allow sufficient time for the system to complete it job. And if you do press and hold the power button to do a forced restart please post or tell the tech.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.