cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
linkedlist
Just joined
4 3 0 0
Message 1 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Using Palm Pre Plus on Verizon without data plan?

Hello folks,

I'm trying to find out if it's possible to use a Palm Pre Plus on Verizon without having a data plan.

Right now I have a six year old clamshell phone and an iPod Touch in my pocket and I'm looking to consolidate. Also, Apple's locked-down stance does not give me the warm fuzzy tingle. Palm's WebOS running on the emulator is giving me the warm fuzzies.

Researching the issue with Google, I've seen other people asking the question back when the Pre was Sprint-only. Apparently Sprint did not even allow activation of the phone without a data plan. In addition, there's the question of whether the palm profile account can be set up over wifi.

I also came across photos showing that WebOS 1.2 was going to have a toggle to disable use of the data plan.

So folks, what do you guys think? Is there any way that this is possible? Thanks!

0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
Level 9
3,590 3,578 116 145
Message 2 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

In short no. You need to have a data plan with this device. As for the data toggle switch that is for customers that want to turn the data off on the device side only.  Your data plan is still in effect.

0 Kudos
linkedlist
Just joined
4 3 0 0
Message 3 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Alright, so if the data usage on the device can be turned off, then why does it need a data plan:

Is it a technical limitation that can be worked around? I've seen quite a bit of stuff on bypassing activation and then creating a palm profile via wifi.

Is it a carrier limitation whereby Verizon absolutely will not transfer your number to the phone without tacking on the data plan? Supposing it is, is there a way to have Verizon treat it as a generic non-smart phone?

I apologize for what must be really newbie questions... I've been researching and trying to learn as much as I can!

Meanwhile, being one to jump the gun, I've already purchased the phone. So I'll be doing my best to get it working without a data plan even though it's not officially supported. If I succeed, I'll be sure to post details, and if I fail, then oh well. I appreciate any advice.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9
3,590 3,578 116 145
Message 4 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

I would suggest that you look at www.precentral.net for work around's of this kind. That is outside my support area but I'm sure you can find what you are looking for on there discussion board.

0 Kudos
baddood
Just joined
3 3 0 0
Message 5 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

why would you get the pre and not want a data plan? do you spend alot of time around wifi areas?

0 Kudos
linkedlist
Just joined
4 3 0 0
Message 6 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Yes, baddood, I spend a lot of time around wifi.

I have to say... the pre plus is the first serious answer to the iPod/iPhone that I've seen in a while. After applying the appropriate fixes, I've been using it for the past two days as a PDA and I love the cards! I have to wonder how their development team came up with some of the interface paradigms and how they polished it in the face of pressure to ship.

Sadly, Verizon doesn't seem to directly accept the MEID on their self-service website. I'll have to call them and see what's up with that.

0 Kudos
dannlori_1
Just joined
1 1 0 0
Message 7 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

So does this mean you were able to get Verizon to activate the phone without the data plan or not?

If so, please let us know what you did.
0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation