Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Pavilion x2 12
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

What is the max size SD card does the HP Pavilion X2 12 take? Will it take a Class 10 or what is the highest class it will take? Thank You

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

Hi,

Class 10 is ok based on the following information (page 2):

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c04342199.pdf

I use SDXC Class 10, UHS 3 with 64GB on a similar machine w/o any problem.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Do you think a 128 gb one would work?

HP Recommended

Hi,

I don't have 128GB with me now, only 2x64 SDXC cards, 1 UHS 1 (Sandisk) and 1 UHS 3 (Sony) both are Class 10. I think 128GB should work. I use 128GB micro SDXC card on my Samsung tablet.

Regards.

BH
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Just tried a 128GB microSDHC/XC Class 10 UHS-I Class 1 card and although it initially seems to detect it and even assigned it a drive letter, as soon as I try to access it explorer gets the busy-cursor and seems to freeze.

Disk Management doesn't show any disks (not even the C-drive) when the card is inserted.

The same card works in a USB card reader on the same computer.

Tried a 16GB class 6 card I had lying around and that works fine.

HP Recommended

Hi,

Thanks for the info. Just checking my friend, he uses 64GB and no problem.

Regards.

BH

HP Recommended

Tried reformatting the card as NTFS aswell as repartitioning into two 64GB volumes instead of one 128GB but to no avail. I'm starting to believe this model doesn't support 128GB cards but it'd be great if someone else could test aswell.

Update:

Tried a 64GB Samsung Pro MicroDSXC Class 10 UHS-I Class 3 aswell and that didn't work either. The same card works in a USB card reader.

Really don't know what to try next. Maybe it doesn't like UHS cards at all?

Update 2:

Tried another 16GB Class 4 card which worked and another 32GB SDHC Class 10 that didn't. The 32GB card didn't behave like the 64GB or 128GB though. It did mount and show up as a SD card after several minutes but would unmount automatically after a while. I did manage to run one pass in crystaldiskmark before it unmounted and the read speed was 5 MB/s (the card is rated at 90 MB/s).

The results so far:
128GB SDXC Class 10 UHS-I Class 1 : FAIL
64GB SDXC Class 10 UHS-I Class 3 : FAIL
32GB SDHC Class 10 UHS-I Class 1 : FAIL
16GB SDHC Class 6 : PASS
16GB SDHC Class 4 : PASS

Tried all cards again after running all possible driver updates (HP Support Assistant, Intel Driver Update Utility, Updating the driver for the SD Host Adapter in the Device Manager) with the same result.

HP Recommended

Hi,

I have the same problem with a Sandisk 128Go Ultra Micro SDXC 1.

The card doesn't appear in the file explorer.

I have a code 10 error (The device doesn't start) in the device manager.

I tried to reformat to NTFS but had same problem.

I also tried to update the driver but was told the driver is already

up to date.

It is very sad that this model doesn't support 128 Go SD cards

because it would be a good option to extend the storage capacity

of the device.

HP Recommended

Thanks for confirming a 128GB card. I get the code 10 error aswell with my 128GB and 64GB cards.

I'm still expecting this to be a driver-related issue though, especially since not even a 32GB card would work for me.

HP Recommended

Good news! I've been in contact with support and they helped me install a beta BIOS and drivers and now the 128GB and 32GB cards work. I was told the updated BIOS and drivers will be released publicly shortly.

The 64GB card which is the newest and fastest card I have access to still doesn't work and the read speed for all cards seems to cap at around 50MB/s.

Now it looks like this for me:

128GB SDXC Class 10 UHS-I Class 1 : PASS (Speed 42/10, Rated @ 80/?)
64GB SDXC Class 10 UHS-I Class 3 : FAIL
32GB SDHC Class 10 UHS-I Class 1 : PASS (Speed 51/20,  Rated @ 90/45)
16GB SDHC Class 6 : PASS
16GB SDHC Class 4 : PASS

Speeds tested using crystaldiskmark with card formatted as exFAT.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.