cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
The HP Calculator Community Message Board is moving. While we prepare for the move, we are unable to accept new postings. During the move, you can look for help from other users by visiting https://www.hpmuseum.org/ . Or if you need technical support for your calculator visit: HP Calculators. .
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Alex_ncfc
Level 3
59 43 1 10
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

Windows 10 performance on Stream 7 - anyone satisfied?

HP Recommended
HP Stream 7
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

Hi all,

I have had my HP Stream 7 for a year now and I love how well Windows 8.1 runs on it. In the Summer, I tried Windows 10 (the RTM build at the end of July) and I didn't like how it ran at all and it seemed to have a lot of problems (plus it looked so bland) and so went back to Windows 8.1 (I have a system image of 8.1 ready to go back to at any time)

When the November 1511 build of 10 was released, I decided to purchase a 64GB SD card (as I know that space is very limited when trying to upgrade to 10) and then give it another go and so upgraded 8.1 to 10 today. However, even though Windows 10 has the same requirements as 7 and 8/8.1 it still seems very sluggish at times. Sometimes it feels ultra responsive! But other times it feels very slow and Windows 8.1 on this tablet is very "fluid" and speedy in my opinion. Also sometimes there seems to be glitches like apps not responding, or the taskbar shortcuts disappearing.

I also prefer the "Start screen" from Windows 8.1 and wish that Microsoft would have just used this as an option rather than making it a vertical scrolling screen in Windows 10. When using the Start screen in Windows 8.1, it was so smooth, but seems so sluggish in Windows 10 - you scroll down and the icons and tiles seem to be blank and loading up as you scroll.

All in all, it seems a disappointing experience, and again I am again thinking of reverting back to my Windows 8.1 system image like I did in the Summer. Is anyone else running the newest build of Windows 10 on their Stream 7 and satisfied with the performance? Are there any tips that can be given?? All drivers seem to be installed and working correctly (unlike the Summer build, where hardly anything worked at first!)

Any advice would be appreciated 🙂

Thanks

Alex

3 REPLIES 3
PAH57
Level 1
5 3 0 1
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I tried Win 10 on my desktop and didnt like it. Having reverted ti Win 7 the last thing I want is MS nag screens trying to push me to reload  Win 10.  As a protest I installed Apache Open Office and very much like it.   I like Open Office because at this they are not in my face with marketing promoting cloud drives to store all of my personal material and social media opportunities to tell everybody what I ate for breakfast etc.

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
dgudewicz
Level 4
62 47 3 11
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have a Stream 8, which is very similar to the 7 and I upgraded to Win10 from 8.1.  While I've not noticed any of the symptons that you described, my biggest gripe is with battery life. It went down cosiderably after the upgrade. If I was getting 8 hours with Win8.1, I was lucky to get 4 with Win10 with similar workloads. Sleep / connected standby seem to be battery drain culprits.

This BTW has been widely reported with not only HP's stuff but with many other vendors too, so it's a systemic problem.

Despite the problem..... Would I go back to 8.1? Nope. Win7? Ditto. Win10 is today and tomorrow and it wokrs for me and many others. The others are yesterday.

I'll conclude with I don't expect HP to fix this problem. Why? The low end Stream 7/8 tablet market is no longer being chased by HP. They've moved on to other things.  

Alex_ncfc
Author
Level 3
59 43 1 10
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for the response.

The battery problem you mentioned is something else I completely forgot to mention! It is dreadful! I can charge the tablet to 100% under Windows 8.1, then unplug it and use it for a good 15-20 mins before it has even dropped by 1%. Under Windows 10, I'd probably be in the 80s % wise in the same time frame. It also seems to take a massively long time to charge compared to 8.1.

I thought I may have solved this the other day when I realised that I had set Cortana to listen for "Hey Cortana" - so I turned this off, as it says this option will use more battery - but still the battery life is awful.

I really, really wanted to keep Windows 10 on this tablet, as like you say it is modern, and the apps are a lot better than those in Windows 8.1 (specifically the defauly Mail and Photo apps in my opinion, plus more Modern Apps are being released that will be Windows 10 only) - but I simply cannot see how I can keep it on here when performance is so dire. it is constantly freezing up and being unresponsive - I have to wait for an old fashioned Windows 95-esque dialog to appear which says "Windows has stopped responding. End task?" Even then it takes forever. In 8.1, I can even run multiple apps at once - in Windows 10 this is an impossibility - opening Google Chrome kills the system.

One more gripe, that could have been a plus point for me keeping 10, is that Modern Apps such as Facebook, Acrobat reader, Instapic (and many others) are so, so small text wise - the text is unreadably small and very uncomfortable on the eyes - I had hoped this might get sorted in the 1511 build, but it hasn't - the difference is massive compared to how they appear in Windows 8.1 on the same tablet. What could this be caused by? Does anybody here notice the same issues?

It looks like, despite a valiant attempt, I will probably be reverting to my 8.1 system image. Which is a shame as Windows 10 has some very nice features.

ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation