cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
hearnes
2 1 0 1
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post

Solved!

Windows 10 update issue

HP Recommended
Envy Note 8
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I cannot install the latest 10 update because I do not have enough free space on the drive. I have run disk clean up several times and cleaned out the system files. I have uninstalled every application that is not part of Windows 10 or HP's and still only have about 5.7 Gigabytes free. I need 8 Gigabytes in order to do the update.

I have even tried to wipe the device and start over but again I do not have enough free space.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
Photoray002
Level 15
Level 15
12,591 12,375 1,298 4,169
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello hearnes

You have the HP Envy Note 8 5002, correct?

There are few things to check only because you haven't mentioned you have done so.

Usually, the personal data folders will fill from use. Did you move/delete the contents of your Docs, Photos, etc. folders?

You can also remove the SWSetup folder that holds the unzipped HP driver install files. They are not the actual installed drivers/programs files, they are the installers for them.

Go to C\SWSetup and remove it.

As far as "wiping the drive" and clean installing Windows...

Space taken on the drive makes no difference if you clean install from a USB drive.

Download and install the MS Media Creation Tool onto a PC to do this with.

The important thing is to burn the USB installer with a UEFI enabled PC. If you can use your tablet to do so, great. If not, use another PC that is UEFI enabled. It will be easier.  UEFI is the type of bios (so to speak)  it uses. All PCs that came with Windows 8 or 10 are all UEFI.

If your tablet uses the Micro USB-2 port for data and the battery charger, you will need an OTG USB adapter to connect the everything to.

NOTE: I dont know if your detachable keyboard will work during a clean install with USB. IF not, you will need a corded USB keyboard and mouse.

You will need...

OTG USB adapter  (example)

4 port USB hub to connect usb drive and USB keyboard/mouse    (example)

Blank USB flash drive (8 GB minimum in capacity)

USB  corded mouse  (if your trackpad wont work)

USB corded keyboard (if your detachable keyboard wont work) IF you usb drive is 16 GB or larger, you can also store the HP drivers on it after the win10 installer is created. Its just more convenient to have ready.

Note 8 drivers link.

Make sure the tablet if fully charged.

Connect the OTG adapter and peripherals to the tablet. Rapidly tap the ESC key to get the Startup Menu. Or you might be able to go directly to the boot options by tapping F9 at boot.

Choose the USB drive to boot from. If the drive is not showing, you might have to go into the bios and disable Secure Boot first.

During the install, you will be given the choice to do a Custom install. Choose Custom and delete the contents of Disk 0. Disk 0 should be where your C drive is installed. In other words, you want to remove all the partitions on the Note 8 drive.

Then let Windows continue with the install. It will set up the drive as its needs.

Let me know if you have questions.

0 Kudos
hearnes
Author
2 1 0 1
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you for your clear and concise directions and reply. I was hoping to do something without completely nuking everything but that's the way it goes. I have reloaded Windows 10 and installed all the drivers. Everything is working well.

I'm still at a loss as to what was taking up all of the drive space though. I use this device strickly for note taking using Onenote and everything is stored in my companies Office 365 One Drive. 

Whatever it's all good now.

Thanks again,

ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation