cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Tireman9
Level 2
14 10 1 0
Message 61 of 174
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Windows 7 and Vista hotsync instructions here

I don't have or run Bluetooth but am running Win 7 64 bit and using IR to do HotSync.

Take a close look at the PDA Connections settings and confirm you don't have conflicts.  Isn't Bluetooth an IR connection?

0 Kudos
rtemmerm
Just joined
5 5 0 0
Message 62 of 174
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I installed desktop 6.2 on a computer running XP.  It had nothing of my data on it, i.e. it's a clean installation.  I tried doing a hotsync there, and again, nothing happened.  It looks like the problem is with my Treo 680.  Unless someone has a bright idea about how to get my hotsync working on it, so it can connect to my desktop, I'm likely due for a hard reset, and HOPE that I can then connect.  Otherwise, I'll be shopping for another phone.  The problem is, I like my 680!

Ray

0 Kudos
rtemmerm
Just joined
5 5 0 0
Message 63 of 174
Flag Post
HP Recommended

After some heart-stopping moments, I'm up and running again, with hotsync working properly on XP via cable and on Windows 7 via Bluetooth.

Being completely incapable of doing a hotsync to any of three computers, I finally took the bull by the horns and did a hard reset.  Omigawd!

Fortunately, I was able to do a hotsync immediately, via cable.  I then reloaded EasyTour, PasswordPlus, DocumentsToGo, and all my documents.

Then I set up Bluetooth.

I've done several hotsyncs as I've updated this and that, and everything has worked every time.  Long may it last!

Ray

0 Kudos
Level 15
16,144 14,905 1,029 2,048
Message 64 of 174
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Tireman9 wrote:

Take a close look at the PDA Connections settings and confirm you don't have conflicts.  Isn't Bluetooth an IR connection?

BlueTooth is a short-range (about 10 meters) radio network.  IR is short for "Infra-Red" - the same method used in your TV remotes.  It emits pulses of light to correspond to ones and zeros.  Devices using an IR connection have to be in close proximity to each other, and aimed accurately.

They are not the same.

WyreNut

-------------------------------------------------
I am a Volunteer here, not employed by HP.

You too can become an HP Expert! Details HERE!

If my post has helped you, click the Kudos Thumbs up!
If it solved your issue, Click the "Accept as Solution" button so others can benefit from the question you asked!
0 Kudos
Frenchyrjm
Just joined
1 1 0 0
Message 65 of 174
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for all the attention and advice. Having read the previous 6 pages several times, here’s my story and I’m desperately hoping you’ll help me after my maybe 10 hours on it...

Setup: Treo 680, HotSync v. 5.4.0 on the Treo; a new laptop with Windows 7 - 64 bit and Bluetooth, Outlook 2007, HotSync v.7.0.2 just installed from the download Palm Desktop 6.2.

The Bluetooth connection between the Treo and the PC is fine: in the HotSync setup Treo side: it finds the PC with its name etc… and I’ve transferred a text document from the PC to the Treo to make sure it works; it does.

I followed http://kb.palm.com/wps/portal/kb/common/article/49229_en.html process as well as all the advice Thepoeta15 has given to Treo680user09, and then some... After having created the Bluetooth connection between the Treo680 and the PC, I reinstalled Palm desktop 6.2.2 and HotSync Manager 7.0.2, rebooted it. Nothing more.

Deleted the partnership on the phone and reset it, recreated the partnership.

Deleted the Bluetooth connection on the PC and rebooted, recreated the Bluetooth connection.

Before taking your time I finally reverted to a hard reset (data is on my old laptop) and have recreated Bluetooth connections, partnerships etc…

I can transfer files, the connection works but still no hotsync and I'd like to avoid changing phones or paying $189 to upgrade Windows 7 Home Premium to Professionnal.

Symptoms:

1)      in the HotSync manager (7.0.2) I don’t have the Bluetooth option. I do have the Serial one and the appropriate virtual port the PC has created “Com 40” appears for the partnership.

2)      When I try to initiate from the Palm Safe HotSync PC side, it stops at the Palm Installshield wizard “Press the Hot Sync button on the USB cable” and doesn’t go further (“skip” is the alternative I end up choosing since qt that point it doesn’t respond to the HotSync initiated Treo side either)

3) When I sync from the Treo, after rapidly displaying a “Connecting” message pop up, it displays the Connecting with the desktop using < partnership device name> (my laptop) and it tries for a few (five?) minutes before ending with a “The connection between your handheld computer and the desktop could not be established. Please check your setup and try again.”

Your help is gratefully appreciated!

0 Kudos
Level 9
3,590 3,578 116 145
Message 66 of 174
Flag Post
HP Recommended

There is no need to create a virtual com port on the device. If you do not see Bluetooth listed in the hotsync manager, it could be that the Bluetooth adaptor is not on or not being seen by hotsync. To resolve this unplug the Bluetooth adaptor shutdown your PC, and plug it back in and restart your computer. If you have a built in adaptor you may need to reinstall the drivers for it under the device manager.

It could also be that the Bluetooth is not compatible with Palm Desktop 6.2.2 and Hotsync manager 7.0.2. If that is the case then you will need a different Bluetooth adaptor.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
IWC316
Level 1
6 5 0 1
Message 67 of 174
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I finally broke down and did the live chat thing and got it resolved.  I guess I set a password even though I don't remember doing it.  She told me how to delete it and I am in business.  I let the kids play with it so maybe they set one up accidently.  Who knows!

Thanks for all your efforts!

lbdob
Just joined
6 6 0 0
Message 68 of 174
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hey there, I am having some hot synch, Windows 7 and general organizational issues. I have been using Palm Desktop with my Centro on my old XP for years, but the XP laptop is dying, so I bought a new one, which is Windows 7. I couldn't find my software installation CD so I used my husband's for his TREO (hoping that is okay.) I installed the software, but it wouldn't synch, needed an update, so I tried the Vista update but I didn't want to install the new version of desktop (the 6.whatever,) because I had heard the 4.whatever was preferable. Now it looks like I have no Palm desktop installed, and no synching. I would start over, but not sure how to do that, either. I understand no support for 7, but do you have suggestions that might help?

0 Kudos
IWC316
Level 1
6 5 0 1
Message 69 of 174
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You need to go to the palm website and download 6.2.  If you have windows 7  "64 bit" the usb cable will not work, but you can sync with the bluetooth if your palm and computer have bluetooth.  If your computer doesn't you can pick a bluetooth dongle on ebay.  I got mine for $3.68 & free shipping from Hong Kong.  Then all you need to do is get them connected with the bluetooth and tap the sync button on the palm.

Something to remember>>>>>>>>  I have a tungsten E2 and this is what got me going on windows 7 64 bit.  I am no expert so to be sure you might want to start a new thread and the experts will chime in with the help you need.  Good luck!

0 Kudos
1973tr6
Level 2
19 16 0 0
Message 70 of 174
Flag Post
HP Recommended

First, sorry if this is out of place or repetitive, but I've spent a few hours over the last week or two reading thru these threads and searching and haven't found a solution to my problem, so I'm posting . . .

This is for (an old) Palm 505 (I think . . . it's the B&W version same as the 515)  I recently "upgraded" to 64-bit Win7 and am regretting it.  After reading here I find that not recognizing the USB cradle for HotSync is a built-in feature.  I've tried most of the suggestions, except for a hard reset.  I might try that one if I knew that my data was in a back-up file on disk somewhere, but I can't find it if it is (help here maybe??).  I've heard from some techs and read on a couple of other blogs that the IR port should work, but I don't have IR on my PC.  And I don't think I have Bluetooth on the Palm.  I would not be opposed to purchasing an IR USB cable, if such is available, if someone could reassure me that that would work.  I would also consider purchasing a completely new device that WAS Win7 compatible, if I knew that I could recover all of my data (literally hundreds of memo, address, and calendar entries that I can not recreate from memory) and convert it to the new device.

Any advice or suggestions will be appreciated and seriously considered.

Thanks.

1973tr6

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation