cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
mhguda
Level 1
9 8 0 0
Message 101 of 174
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Windows 7 and Vista hotsync instructions here

I can't take credit for this, but I will do as jkTungstenE2 suggested, and rewrite. The original instructions are from WyreNut. WyreNut, I'll go by your message point one by one. I didn't read it before because my 7 is 32-bit and my palm is lifedrive, so I thought the situation would be different. But I'm willing to learn. Quote: Here's how to HotSync to Vista 64bit (Vista Home Premium) via Wifi with a TX using Palm Desktop 6.2: 1. Install Palm Desktop 6.2, open the HotSync Manager (little Hotsync icon in the Tool Tray) and choose "Connections". Select "Network" and uncheck "USB" since it won't work anyway! my comment: I did have Network selected (and also USB). And it got as far as triggering the dialog box on my PC. It just never made a connection. 2. Determine your Vista computer's IP address on your network. This can be found by going to Start Button/All Programs/Accessories/Command Prompt. A DOS window will now open. Type the following ipconfig /all (there is a space between the g and the /). A lot of data will pop up. On my Vista laptop, my IP address is listed as "IpV4 Address - 192.168.x.xxx" (Your computer may display it differently.) Write this address down, then close the DOS window. my comment: This is actually easy if you use Network Magic. Plus, I already had the palm and the pc set up to talk to each other on the network (for instance I sometimes use the palm to surf the net on wifi - just to prove I can, actually). 3. Now go to your TX. Turn on Wifi and connect to your router. Open the HotSync icon. Be sure the word "Network" is highlighted over the large Hotsync button in the center, and below it says "Tap to Select PC". If Network is highlighted and you don't see "Tap to Select PC", then open the Options pull-down menu (in top left corner of the Hotsync program on the TX) and select "Modem Sync Prefs". Be sure "Network" is selected. Also check "LANSync Prefs" and be sure "LANSync" is selected. Click OK, and now you should see the "Tap to Select PC". my comment: This does not work the same way for me. Under the hotsync button in the center is a button WiFi. When I am not logged on to the network I have to tap there first and choose the network (having had this thing for a while, and traveled with it and used WiFi to get email etc there are a number of networks on my list). The other options I had selected correctly. 4. Tap the box to Select PC, and the Network HotSync Setup screen will open and ask you to tap "Next". Most likely, the next step will fail (I've never seen it find a computer!). Tap the "Other" button at the bottom to enter your PC's IP address. (You can try entering the name of the computer on the network, but I've had better success with entering the IP address first. It will then find the name after a successful HotSync.) my comment: I think this is the step where you log on to the WiFi network. I am able to do that. 6. Back at the Hotsync screen, tap the big Hotsync icon in the center and hold on! Your computer should recognize it and start to Hotsync. my comment: That is the problem. It starts and on the PC a box pops up to say establishing connection or something like that, and it never manages to do that. Then the palm times out. Following up: However, there is more to this story now, and I think I may have solved the problem. I went back to my xp setup and got less far than on 7, so decided to look at the device manager there. No palm handheld, and the add hardware failed too. It found a sort of legacy driver but this failed to initialize. I then had to leave & shut down the pc. When afterward I rebooted I went into 7 and there, in ITS devicemanager, sat an entry for the palm handheld. I tried hotsync via usb and ... it worked! I don't understand any of this. I will try the wifi hotsync later, as it seems I did everything right but the driver was missing... and it has parachuted out of nowhere onto my system. Seems like a cross-fertilization between the xp and 7 partitions. Hopefully this is all cleared up now. By the way if the ability to connect goes away for no reason it helps to play with the device manager, perhaps have it scan for hardware changes. I find also that sometimes the device manager will say the palm is not connected when it's sitting on the cable. Rescanning sometimes helped.
0 Kudos
gat35
Just joined
4 3 0 0
Message 102 of 174
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi!  I am new to the forum but I read this posting and it was excellent.  The only problem for me is I have Windows 7 Home Premium which does not allow Virtual PC Windows XP.

Hence, my question is: Is there a way to us a USB cable to sync my Palm Vx on my new computer (Windows 7 64 OS)?  If it helps my computer is a HP Pavilion All-in-One MS225.  Before this computer, I had been using the COM1 Local Serial to sync on both my home and work computer.  I have never used the USB cable which I recently purchased.

If there is no way to sync, is there a master file that I can save from my work computer and then copy to my home computer which would allow my Palm Desktop 4.1.4 to match my work computer.  I realize this is not a great option but at least my information would be accurate.  Also, would purchasing a more recent Palm solve any of my problems.  I am assuming Bluetooth would be my next option.  What is a good inexpensive Palm with Bluetooth?

Thanks in advance!

Gerry

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9
3,590 3,578 116 145
Message 103 of 174
Flag Post
HP Recommended

gat35,

The biggest issue is that your Vx does not have Bluetooth. So that solution will not work for you. The only thing that may work for you is a Infrared adaptor for your PC.

As for the "Master File" this depends on what version of Palm Desktop you have installed on your work PC. If it is Palm Desktop 4.2 and lower then go here.

XP
C:\Program Files\Palm or Palm One\[hotsync username]
C:\Palm\[hotsync username]
C:\Program Files\Handspring\[hotsync username]

Copy the hotsync username folder. Then on your home PC with the Palm Desktop Closed!!! Paste the files in the location where Palm Desktop is installed. I should be on of the above locations. Keep in mind that it could be a different location than your work PC.

If you have Palm Desktop 6.2.2 installed, there is no way to downgrade your data to a lower version other than syncing :smileysad:. If you have this version please post back and I will help you from there.

gat35
Just joined
4 3 0 0
Message 104 of 174
Flag Post
HP Recommended

thepoeta15,

Thanks!  I looked at my work computer and I have Palm Desktop 3.1 however I don't think it matters since I am sync with Outlook at work via Chapura.  Hence the Palm Desktop is blank.  Would your suggestion about coping the file still work?

At this point, I think the best approach maybe to purchase a Palm Handheld with Bluetooth which should allow me to sync at home and work.  Thoughts?  Also, which product would you recommend?  I saw another posting that suggest either the E2 or TX when moving to Bluetooth.

0 Kudos
acroonertoo
Just joined
4 4 0 0
Message 105 of 174
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Your welcome!

0 Kudos
Level 9
3,590 3,578 116 145
Message 106 of 174
Flag Post
HP Recommended

This will be a lot easier since you sync to Outlook. You can simply export your data from Outlook to your Outlook at home. If you search on Google, Yahoo, or Live for how to export data in Outlook. You will find a lot of information on how to do this with screen shots on some sites. Then import that data into your Outlook at home.

The above will only work if you have Outlook at home. Then you should be all set at that point.

0 Kudos
gat35
Just joined
4 3 0 0
Message 107 of 174
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Unfortunately, I use the Palm Desktop (currently 4.1.4) at home.  I do not have Outlook at home.  I have not been able to find an exporting solution that exports from Outlook (my work computer) and imports to Palm Desktop.  I will keep searching the internet.

Does anyone have this solution?

A new question:

Does anyone have issues with the Palm Tx syncing with Outlook on one computer via USB (my work computer) and syncing via Bluetooth to Palm Desktop 6.2 (my home computer).  I am strongly considering purchasing the Palm Tx but would not want to face new problem.  I know the Bluetooth syncing will solve my Window 7 issue.

0 Kudos
1973tr6
Level 2
19 16 0 0
Message 108 of 174
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Well, it looks like I'm SOL!!  I have not been able to re-establish the link between my desktop Win7 machine and my Palm M505.  That's what I get for holding on to old technology that works just fine for me and not upgrading to the latest and greatest just because I can't always afford it!!  I guess I'll have to start looking for Blackberries or some such to use as a PDA.  If anyone has an idea the they think might work please feel free to send a reply.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Felizb
Just joined
1 1 0 0
Message 109 of 174
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have a TX and a 32 bit system and I managed to get it operating with Vista just fine.  However, I am now changing over to Windows 7 and not sure if I will run into incompatibility or difficulty doing a hotsync.   Does the Pilmco program correct any problems between Windows 7 and the TX on a 32 bit system?  If I was successful in getting my TX to work under Vista, is that an indicator that I will not have any transition problems with Windows 7?

0 Kudos
jdrach
Level 1
9 8 0 0
Message 110 of 174
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have a Centro and recently switched from a Windows XP computer to a 64 bit Windows 7 computer. After reading the posts on this message board, I bought a Bluetooth dongle for my PC, yet have not been able to hotsync, even after trying all of the suggestions in this thread (except for hard restarting my centro since I don't currently have a backup and this would cause me to lose all of my data).

The main problem seems to be that my centro can see my PC as a bluetooth device, but my PC can't see my centro, even though I have made both the PC and the Centro discoverable.

Specifically, when I go to Prefs->Bluetooth->Setup Devices->Hotsync Setup, my PC shows up. But if I go to my PC and attempt to add a bluetooth device, the PC can't find the Centro. I have not seen anyone post solutions for this particular problem.

Back on my Centro, once I select it and try to hotsync, I get the message "Unable to initiate HotSync operation because the port is in use by another application." If, instead, I try to add a Trusted Device and I select my PC, it then asks me for a passkey. Since my PC is new, I haven't yet set up a passkey, so I just enter 00000 (as some users have suggested). The Centro then says "Verifying passkey for PC..." and after about 20 seconds says "Unable to add PC to your trusted device list."

Any suggestions?

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation