cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Level 9
3,590 3,578 116 145
Message 1 of 174
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Windows 7 and Vista hotsync instructions here

Recently I have seen a lot of older devices and the question asked. How to hotsync my device to Windows 7 or Windows Vista? Well there are three ways.

First is good old USB. This depends on if your new OS is a 32bit system. How to tell if your OS is a 32bit system, go to: Start-->Right click on Computer or My Computer and select Properties. Look for the System Type. If it says 32bit then all you need to do is download Palm Desktop 6.2.2 (Download Here) and a 3rd party program from Pimlico Software located here: http://www.pimlicosoftware.com/, and look for a free program at the bottom of the page called: “PalmHotSyncSetup”.

[UPDATE]  Aceeca has come out with 64bit drivers for PalmOS devices!  It works with Vista64 and Windows 7 64bit versions!  See this thread for download links:   64bit Drivers are HERE!

If you have a 64bit OS below is the only two options you have to sync your Palm OS device. If your computer does not have a Bluetooth or IR adaptor be sure to get one that is compatible to the PC you are using.

Second is Bluetooth. Now if your handheld has a Bluetooth radio you can hotsync though this and not have to worry if you have a 32bit or 64bit OS. To set this up download Palm Desktop 6.2.2 and then look up this link: http://kb.palm.com/wps/portal/kb/common/article/49229_en.html. Depending on your PC you may need to buy a Bluetooth dongle or adaptor. Be sure to get one that is compatible with your system.

Third and last is IR or aka Infrared. This is for the older handheld that do not have Bluetooth. You will need to have an IR port on your computer or find an IR dongle or adaptor for your PC as well. Once you have one look at this link to see how to set one up: http://kb.palm.com/wps/portal/kb/common/article/1941_en.html

---------------------------

This was posted by forum member Candrews.  Here it is if you want to view the whole post yourself: Click Me

1)     If you have a Windows 7 version that is compatible with the Windows XP Mode (Professional, Enterprise or Ultimate), go to the Microsoft website and download Virtual PC and the Windows XP Mode application files (http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/download.aspx). Install both;

2)    Install Palm desktop while in the Windows XP Mode;

3)    Launch the hot synchronization manager while in the XP Mode;

4)     Connect the handheld using the USB cable;

5)      Make sure that the handheld is listed under the USB option in the Windows XP Mode toolbar on the top of the screen (you may have to expand the XP Mode window to see it);

6)      Start the hot synchronization operation;

7)      Go back to the USB option in the Windows XP Mode toolbar and choose “Add” for the Palm devise.

This will start the hot synchronization all right. Tip: If you choose "Add" before starting the syncronization operation, it will not work; follow the sequence above. Obs.: I used the older version of Palm desktop (4.2).  

Also as a heads up we do not support Windows 7. The directions here are to help and give a work around for this OS.

Post relates to: Pre p100eww (Sprint)

Message Edited by thepoeta15 on 01/24/2010 02:52 PM
173 REPLIES 173
Grumpy123
Just joined
2 2 0 0
Message 2 of 174
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have a Palm Treo 680 and trying to sync it with my new laptop running Windows 7 64 bit.

I have downloaded Palm Desktop 6.2 and am using an Advent ADEC2BTMI USB bluetooth adapter.

Although the Treo and laptop both recognise each other, I do not get a bluetooth option in the list of available connections in the Hotsync Manager

Any suggestions gratefully received.

0 Kudos
Level 9
3,590 3,578 116 145
Message 3 of 174
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Grumpy123,

When did you install Palm Desktop? Was it before you got the Bluetooth? If so you may need to uninstall Palm Desktop and reinstall it.

0 Kudos
Grumpy123
Just joined
2 2 0 0
Message 4 of 174
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you for your quick response and suggestion.

I have re-installed Palm Desktop but to no avail.

When I try to carry out the Hotsync, the screen says that the Treo is connecting with the desktop but after a couple of minutes the Treo times out and the screen says the connection between the handheld and desktop could not be established

0 Kudos
Level 9
3,590 3,578 116 145
Message 5 of 174
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Did you have a Bluetooth adaptor before you installed Palm Desktop?

You may need to do a clean uninstall. Here is the directions on how to do that:

You should first make a copy of your data. If you have Palm Desktop 4.2 and lower you can copy your user folder by going to C:\Program files\Palm or PalmOne. Once in here look for your username and right click on it and copy it. Then open up My Documents and Pasting it in here. If you have Palm Desktop 6.2.2 go to My Documents/Documents --> Palm OS Desktop. Copy the folder(s) in here and Paste them in My Documents/Documents

Now you will need to uninstall Palm Desktop. First go to Control Panel and in XP go to Add and Remove documents, in Vista Programs and Features. Then look for Palm Desktop and uninstall it. Then go to C:\Program files\Palm or C:\Program files\PalmOne and delete this folder. If you have Vista you will need to go to here:

C:\Program files\Palm
C:\Users\[Vista Login Name]\appdata\local\virtualstore\Program Files\Palm or PalmOne
C:\Users\[Vista Login Name]\appdata\Palm or PalmOne
*Note you may need to view hidden folders to get to appdata. To do that go into your Control Panel and open folder options. Go to view tab and uncheck hide hidden files.

One this is done you will need to delete some registry keys from your registry.

Word of warning, going here and deleting the wrong thing can cause your PC from starting up, crashing and deletion of programs and data. If you feel you are unsure of your self see if you have a friend that can help you or a PC technician that you can pay to help you. This will show them everything they need to delete. To help against this we need to do a backup.

Go to start and run type "regedit" without quotes

Highlight MY COMPUTER, go to File --> export. Should pop up with a Save As box. Current location is fine should be in My Documents. In the file name on the bottom type "backup[todaysdate]" i.e. backup07072008. Next, the hard part.

Easiest way to make sure your doing the right one highlight the key i.e. Palm Quick Install, and press delete on your keyboard. It will ask you are you sure. Say yes. Do the same thing for all keys below.

If you make a mistake, stop what you are doing. And call a PC technician. BUT do not turn off your computer.

The Registry keys are as follows (Note: some of these Registry keys will not be here but if they are, delete them)

* HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\U.S. Robotics\Palm Quick Install
* HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\U.S. Robotics\PalmOne File Transfer
* HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\U.S. Robotics\Pilot Desktop
* HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Palm
* HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Palm, Inc.
* HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\PalmDesktopAutorun
* HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\PalmOne
* HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\PalmSource
* HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\PalmSource

Next reboot your computer

Then reinstall your palm desktop from the CD and do a hotsync. If it asks you for a username and you synced your device before, put in 'test" if you did not sync before create a hotsync name.

JoelK_1
Level 1
4 3 1 1
Message 6 of 174
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Does anyone out there know if Palm or another party will create drivers so my Windows 7 machine (64bit) will HOTSYNC with my Z22 w/o having to buy extra devices, etc?  Thanks.

Joel

0 Kudos
Level 15
16,140 14,903 1,029 2,045
Message 7 of 174
Flag Post
HP Recommended

JoelK wrote:

Does anyone out there know if Palm or another party will create drivers so my Windows 7 machine (64bit) will HOTSYNC with my Z22 w/o having to buy extra devices, etc?  Thanks.

Joel

None of us here have any knowledge of the future.  Palm sold the rights to Palm Desktop a long time ago to Access, so you need to be bugging that company. 

Palm Inc. has moved on to webOS.  It's very doubtful there will ever be any native x64 bit support.  There are many folks using Win7 Pro's Virtual XP mode to sync their discontinued PalmOS devices.

WyreNut

-------------------------------------------------
I am a Volunteer here, not employed by HP.

You too can become an HP Expert! Details HERE!

If my post has helped you, click the Kudos Thumbs up!
If it solved your issue, Click the "Accept as Solution" button so others can benefit from the question you asked!
0 Kudos
heidib
Just joined
2 2 0 0
Message 8 of 174
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have a Palm Tx running Palm Desktop 4.2.0 and Hotsync Manager 6.0.1 and USB Driver for Palm 6.0.1.  I just recently got a new PC with Windows 7 and am unable to sync with my Palm.  I read the thread and believe it applies to my, but the thread was specific to Palms other than my Tx.  Just looking for confirmation that this thread also applies to Palm Tx.  Can you also confirm that the Palm Tx does NOT have bluetooth and my only option is the IR.  Thanks.
0 Kudos
Level 9
3,590 3,578 116 145
Message 9 of 174
Flag Post
HP Recommended

These instructions are for the TX and the TX DOES have Bluetooth.
0 Kudos
Level 15
16,140 14,903 1,029 2,045
Message 10 of 174
Flag Post
HP Recommended

heidib wrote:
I have a Palm Tx running Palm Desktop 4.2.0 and Hotsync Manager 6.0.1 and USB Driver for Palm 6.0.1.  I just recently got a new PC with Windows 7 and am unable to sync with my Palm.  I read the thread and believe it applies to my, but the thread was specific to Palms other than my Tx.  Just looking for confirmation that this thread also applies to Palm Tx.  Can you also confirm that the Palm Tx does NOT have bluetooth and my only option is the IR.  Thanks.

You don't say whether you have a 64 bit version of Win7... That is the key.  You can't sync via the USB cable to any 64bit OS whether it's Vista or Win7.

The TX can sync with Win7 64 bit via Wifi, BlueTooth, or IR since it has all 3 wireless methods built into it.

WyreNut

-------------------------------------------------
I am a Volunteer here, not employed by HP.

You too can become an HP Expert! Details HERE!

If my post has helped you, click the Kudos Thumbs up!
If it solved your issue, Click the "Accept as Solution" button so others can benefit from the question you asked!
0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation