cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
1973tr6
Level 2
19 16 0 0
Message 161 of 174
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Windows 7 and Vista hotsync instructions here

NEVER MIND!!!!!

I have an "old" pc that was replaced by the dual-core Intel "new" pc.  Both were running XP pro just fine.  The new pc had the Palm Desktop on it.  The new pc got upgraded to Win 7 and all hell broke loose.  I finally had the bright idea to install the Palm Desktop on the old pc.  It works just fine!!!  I can now do everything that I used to be able to do with the Palm, just not on the new pc.  I knew there was a valid reason to keep that old pc running.

I think there ought to be a law that any new os has to be reverse compatible with all devices that were working with the old os.  But that's just me.

Good luck with your Palm devices and happy computing!!

0 Kudos
bcflynn1
Just joined
3 3 0 0
Message 162 of 174
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The link to the bluetooth article now leads to NULL saying "portlet unavailable"  Same for the IR Link.  I followed the instructions in early June and it worked fine.  Now it no longer connects so I wanted to go back and start over via the article.

0 Kudos
bcflynn1
Just joined
3 3 0 0
Message 163 of 174
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The link is back.

0 Kudos
bcflynn1
Just joined
3 3 0 0
Message 164 of 174
Flag Post
HP Recommended

What does Office have to do with it?  My loss of BT sync may be related to my re-install of Office 2000.

0 Kudos
feskridge
Just joined
1 1 0 0
Message 165 of 174
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Monday, my 5-year old HP laptop died. Rather than try to get it repaired, I decided it was time to upgrade anyway. I bought a Toshiba laptop with Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium. I am totally dependent on my 4-year old Palm Z22. I now learn that apparently I am SOL. The Palm will not synch with Windows 7 64-bit, and apparently there is no workaround: I have Home Win, so I can't run the XP emulator, my Palm does not have Bluetooth, and I have not been able to come up with an alternative. Two questions:

• Is there an alternative, such as a third-party syncher?
  • If not, any recommendations for a simple PDA (not a phone) that syncs with Outlook in Win 7 64-bit, and can run Mobipocket?

Thanks. 

0 Kudos
LongHairCook
Just joined
3 3 0 0
Message 166 of 174
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Create a virtual machine using an older version of windowswith VirtualBox and have the usb ports enabled.

0 Kudos
jrarreguina
Just joined
1 1 0 0
Message 167 of 174
Flag Post
HP Recommended

what can i do to solve my problem, my palm  quick install or synchronization doesn´t work? 

0 Kudos
absampson
Just joined
1 1 0 0
Message 168 of 174
Flag Post
HP Recommended

XP mode doesn't recognize the usb port.  win7(64) gives a constant error trying to install a driver for the Palm Handheld (Treo700P). does anyone know the trick?  XP Mode doesn't appear to work independently as far as the drivers (usb?) are concerned. 

0 Kudos
oldm500
Just joined
1 1 0 0
Message 169 of 174
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Palm m500 sync to Windows 7 SOLVED

I, like others, have felt the upgrade curse when I purchased an Asus UL50VT laptop with Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit. It's interesting that I find a 9 year old piece of technology, my m500, as useful as a "state-of-art" laptop. But it's true. (Has anyone commented on the similarity of the original Palm OS interface to the iPhone / iPad?)

However, this forum steered me to a solution using the IR sync and other notes in this forum. Before any fanfare, I have to note, that IR sync is SLOW. It can be hours instead of minutes. It does "work" but it's not pretty.

1. I already had installed the Palm Desktop (6.2.2 by Access) [it installs under Program FIles (x86)]. In keeping with a tech support note on this Palm site, I did copy the contents of the "B" subfolder, under the Palm OS Desktop folder (My Documents or Documents), from my older (Vista 32-bit) computer to the new.
  2. Again, based upon a note from elsewhere in this forum I downloaded the PalmHotSynSetup.exe program from http://www.pimlicosoftware.com/ and ran this. This reconfigures the 6.2.2 Desktop to read legacy databases and it solved my problems on my older Vista 32-bit machine.
  3. I got a USB to IR adapter from Amazon:smileyfrustrated:yba SD-U1IRDA-NM USB Fast Infra-Red Adapter    $11.70  Don't bother with the setup mini-CD, the Adapter has a MOSCHIP 7780 chip, so go right to http://www.moschip.com/mcs7780_downloads.php to download the appropriate Windows 7 64-bit driver setup program. (You'll have to setup a login at the website first). Once the drivers are installed you can restart the computer, and plug-and-play the IR adapter. 
  4. Without the Palm Desktop running I opened up the HotSync program. Under Connections, IR was listed and I checked it. I then set my Applications to Handheld overwrites Desktop for Date, Address, ToDo and Memo.
  5. Before you proceed, be warned, the first sync I may be of a geologic time frame - several hours. True, I had 5 MB of data on the m500. I made sure my laptop was plugged in with NO power conservation - ie, it NEVER would go to sleep. Also, I was fortunate to have a USB charging cable for the Palm ( consider Amazon: the eForCityData & Charging USB Cable for Palm (PalmOne) m500 / m505 / m515 / m125 / m130 / I705 / TUNGSTEN T / T2 / T3 / W / C /ZIRE 71  $6.39), and I had this plugged into an generic USB wall charger (such as for an iPod). Then nobody turns off or runs out of juice.
  6. Go to HotSync on the m500, set the connection to IR to PC, and tap the center icon. Set the Palm so that it's pointing right at the IR adapter on the computer, and about 3 inches away.
  7. Go have dinner and watch a movie.

As I mentioned, it's not pretty, but it really does synchronize the m500 with the Desktop running on the Win 7 64-bit machine.

0 Kudos
wildcoffee
Just joined
1 1 0 0
Message 170 of 174
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have learned today that I am not the only one with this problem and I have read Candrews solution, and have started to work on it. 

Question: I went to the microsoft link and it had only the Window XP mode application. There was no separate application for Virtual PC. Did I miss it somewhere? 

Question: Now that Windows XP Mode is installed, how do I "launch" the Windows XP mode? 

I am so frustrated. I have a Treo 650 and use the Palm desktop software and then bought Windows 7, 62 bit. Any help would me much appreciated!

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation