cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
daileyk
Just joined
3 3 0 0
Message 11 of 174
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Windows 7 and Vista hotsync instructions here

I have Windows 7 with a 64 bit OS.

I only have a USB cable hook up w/ charger.  Will this not work ? 

I have a Tungsten 5.  It shows as a v.4.5.2P Application. 

I downloaded Palm Desktop.  (File verson 4.1.4)

I have been troubleshooting for days ....  but am unable to HotSync.

Local and Modem SetUp shows message, "The selected port, COM1, is not available at this time.  HotSync Manager will open the port when it becomes available. "    

someone... please help?  

0 Kudos
Level 9
3,590 3,578 116 145
Message 12 of 174
Flag Post
HP Recommended

daileyk,

The Tungsten T5 has Bluetooth. The USB hotsync will not work on any Windows 64bit OS. At this point the only way you are going to hotsync is by syncing though Bluetooth.

If you have any more questions please post back.

0 Kudos
heidib
Just joined
2 2 0 0
Message 13 of 174
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you. My Windows 7 is 64 bit.  I've never used the Bluetooth capability on my Palm - didn't know I even had it.  Guess I'll read through the email thread again and see if I can get it to work.  Thanks.
0 Kudos
Tylerdurden_1
Just joined
2 2 0 0
Message 14 of 174
Flag Post
HP Recommended

This is a very useful thread - thanks.

However, I have an outstanding issue.

I have a Tungsten T3, and am attempting to synchronise with Outlook 2007 running on a Windows 7 machine.

I am able to synchronise via Bluetooth.  The synchronisation works OK when Outlook is closed, but if Outlook is open, no synchronisation with Outlook occurs.  For each Outlook sync, it gives a message that synchronisation was aborted for the reason "Unable to initialise Outlook".  The Hotsync manager says "To fix this problem, in Outlook open the Help menu and choose Detect and Repair".  There is no "detect and repair" in Outlook 2007 but I have run Office Diagnostics with no result.

Does anyone know how I can sync while Outlook is running?  I usually have Outlook running all the time and it would be frustrating to have to shut it down each time I wanted to sync.

0 Kudos
daileyk
Just joined
3 3 0 0
Message 15 of 174
Flag Post
HP Recommended

thanks for the feedback....

Any recommendations on which Bluetooth adapter to purchase for this? 

Is there one that is most compatable with Tungsten T5 and/or Windows 7 (Dell Computer)?

0 Kudos
Level 9
3,590 3,578 116 145
Message 16 of 174
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Tyler,

It sounds like the conduits are not setup correctly on your computer. Change the conduits to sync with Palm Desktop by going to start-->Programs/All Programs-->Palm-->PIM Conduit sync-->Sync with Palm Desktop. Restart your computer then do the same thing above but pick Sync with Outlook.

Either the conduits are not setup correctly or they are corrupted. If this does not work you may need to do a full uninstall of Palm Desktop and/or Outlook.

0 Kudos
Level 9
3,590 3,578 116 145
Message 17 of 174
Flag Post
HP Recommended

daileyk,

Just a adaptor that is compatible with your system should be fine. The T5 has been out for a while and you may not find one that is specifically compatible with that device.

0 Kudos
nealb_1
Just joined
2 2 0 0
Message 18 of 174
Flag Post
HP Recommended

sorry to be a dummy, but got a clarifying question

I have an old Sony branded PDA that uses Palm 4 software

and a new Windows 7 64 bit laptop

I want to get all my addresses and calendar onto the new machine

from the first post, looks like I need an IR USB adapter thingie, but what software do I need to load onto Windows 7 ?

the version 6 of Palm software? 

and then follow option 3 at the top of this post?

thanks

0 Kudos
Level 9
3,590 3,578 116 145
Message 19 of 174
Flag Post
HP Recommended

nealb,

Not sure if that device will work with the Palm Desktop 6.2 software. While you have a Palm OS device the Palm Desktop 6.2 software was not designed for it. Even for our older device such as the Zire series and all but the Tungsten E2 out of the Tungsten series as well. You are welcome to try it and see if it works.

0 Kudos
Kate-T3
Just joined
5 5 0 0
Message 20 of 174
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Give the above. which desktop version should I be downloading to allow to install for hotsyncing in Windows 7 (see the below details), and if more than one, in which order?  Also what functionality will I lose, if anything, in doing so?  Dare I ask if there’s any functionality to be gained?  I love my T3s......

Both T3’s have OS v. 5.2.1, containing Bluetooth device v.2.0 with software v.4.0.  My new portable computer runs Windows 7 Home, 64-bit, is blue-tooth capable BUT the packaged hardware won’t support Window’s 7 Professional’s Virtual XP functionality.  My XP portable crashed so hotsync capability’s lost there, a stationary desktop continues to hotsyc  using my Palm desktop version 4.1.2 in Win 98.  My T-3’s use the newer conduits...calendar, tasks, etc (versus the heritage datebook, to-do etc. Version).

From Article ID: 44532, Windows Vista info for Palm Devices, I'm advised that Palm Desktop by ACCESS 6.2 is compatible with Windows Vista.  The Palm Article re Palm Desktop versions and the Article re 4.1.4e indicate that the T3 should run 4.1.4e, and articles discussing ACCESS 6.2 provide a device list that does not include the T3.

On the T3 support page there is a download button under the heading “Featured Support” and also on the right of the main page, both for 4.1.4e.   BUT, THERE’S ALSO, on the same page, a link,  “Hotsync Troubleshooting: Start here” which connects to a page first recommending  updating the software to 6.2 (with a download link), and then, under “Are you using Windows Vista?, it says,” You'll need to install the latest version of Palm Desktop (get Palm Desktop 6.2)”,  JUST TO CONFUSE THINGS.

Worse, a lengthy review of various threads on various sites regarding other T3 users did’nt clarify the matter, though provided a link to cesdewar’s application at:
http://www.PimlicoSoftware.com/palmhotsyncsetup.exe

Thepoeta15’s excellent post at the head of this thread is silent re the software question...

So I return some key questions:   What software program(s) should I be using to hotsync my Tungsten 3 in Windows 7, and what’s the order of events, along with safety precautions?  Will I be able to hotsync my data in Win 7 without losing anything, and if not, what would I lose?  And will I be able to continue to use the Win 98 stationary (4.1.2) as a standby for occasional back-up if I upgrade to either 4.2.1e or 6.2, or does it need upgraded software too?  I wasn’t able to determine from Palm’s articles which versions would even work in Win 98, not to mention whether I’d have to also upgrade that computer’s operating system to make it all possible, or not.

Advice to be most gratefully received.....
0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation