Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
320 Touchsmart
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

The mouse model  MG-0982 came with the computer, which I bought in 2012. It  seems to have trouble connecting to the computer, but it has fresh batteries. I checked the wireless dongle, RG 0983. I removed and replaced it. It lights up when first installed, but then the light goes off. I have rebooted three times since removing and replacing the dongle. Best I can tell, the keyboard is also not making contact. However, I was able to scan from my wireless printer to the computer. New dongle needed? Driver issues? HELP!

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hello @Dickv45

Are you able to use any other keyboard/mouse besides the wireless one?

It might only be a matter of uninstalling the USB drivers and rebooting. Sometimes it works.

If the wireless mouse/keyboard is not detecting, unplug the dongle first.

Use the touch screen and onboard screen keyboard if needed.

Go to Device Manager. Type device manager into the Search bar (Cortana) to find it..

When the Computer Management window opens, go to View (top left side) and enable Show hidden devices.

show hidden dvices.PNG

Go down to Universal Serial Bus controllers and expand its view.

Anything that is grayed out, right click on it and uninstall it.

USB driver removal.PNG

Reboot the computer.

When its fully booted, reinsert the dongle. Give it a moment to reinstall.

Let me know what happens.

HP Recommended

Photoray002--Thank you. I removed and replaced the dongle a few times. I also found thta the mouse was unexpectedly turning off. I think it might have been a problem with the batteries not seating properly. After a few tewaks of the battery contacts, and a couple of new batteries, the device started working again.

So, we are good to go for now, but if I do have further problems. I have your excellent advice to follow.

Thank you

DIckv45

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.