Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
elite x3 phone
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

A few weeks ago my phone did an automatic Windows update which I think corrupted some files.  Suddenly I could not adjust volume buttons and the power button does not work.  Video stopped working.  Could not hear Voice messages, ringer didn't work.  I am a techno idiot, so I took the phone to the Microsoft store where I purchased it and was told to reset it.  What a pain.  I really like this phone because I have always preferred Windows phones but I know this is the last one; it's also big.  The only way I can restart it is (discovered by accident) if if I adjust the type.  Anyway, two questions.....does anyone know a fix for the volume/power button issues, and what's my best alternative for a new phone....Apple or Android?  I don't use a phone for video games, shopping, social media junk,  don't live on the phone all day, mostly use it for Office documents, my business inventory, some web surfing.  What's an easier transition for this old lady who's used to Windows?  I had a few Nokia Lumias before this phone and loved them. Anyway, in the meantime, is there a fix for the volume/power issue?  Thank you!

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

Regarding the buttons not working, is your battery perhaps swollen (or does the back of the phone look a little bulged out)?

HP Recommended

I have the same issue as the OP, and in my case, yes the back of the phone is slightly bulged out. Do you know how to solve this issue?

HP Recommended

I've tried to aggregate some links and information on the following thread and would suggest checking it out:

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Elite-x3/Elite-x3-with-Swollen-Battery-Side-Buttons-Not-Working/td-p/7...

Unfortunately, the bulging appears to be caused by a bad battery, and judging by other posts online, we are not alone in experiencing this battery problem.

HP Recommended

Thanks, I'll try to replace my battery, if I can find a replacement one.

HP Recommended

If you find something, let me know.  Last time I tried calling the HP Elite support line, the rep was trying to sell me a complete refurbished phone.  I have the Verizion-enabled Elite X3, and based on past experience with HP support, not all of them seem to understand the difference between the Verizon version and the GSM version.  Some are well aware, but others not so much.  For the battery, the cellular type shouldn't matter, but if getting a refurbished device, you would want to make sure that they are sending back the same type.

HP Recommended

I had the same issue. I found out I didn't have to buy a new battery. It wasn't held in properly. I took it apart, reconnected the battery and the lcd screen, pressed the on button and it powered up. My battery was charging, but it wasn't connected properly. My only issue now is reassembling it correctly. I also found out it was missing 2 of the 13 screws on the chassis. The process of getting to the battery is interesting. You need to heat it to melt the glue to take off the lcd panel after taking off the end cap. There are 13 t-5 Torx screws and 4 P000 phillips screws ( 2 for the LCD panel). You need a spudger tool to get LCD panel off and the chassis as well. HP does have a video for this. Also a manual showing what tools and instructions. 

HP Recommended

Was the battery swollen, though?  If the battery is swollen, that is why it would need to be replaced (i.e. not just the fact that the swelling is causing device internals to misalign).  A properly functioning battery should not swell in size.

HP Recommended

I replaced the battery and yet the power/volume buttons do not work. I can get it to turn on by putting it on charger, but cannot turn it off. 

HP Recommended

The power and volume up/down works sometimes now, but not always. I did have a bad battery. 

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.