Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Hp spectre x360 convertible
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I just purchased an HP Spectre x360, 13in model.

Suddenly the left speaker in my laptop is not working properly. It makes a crackling noise when a vedio/audio is played. I have looked up the internet and found similar issue with a lot of spectre laptops out there.  I did a bios update, uninstall and reinstall the sound driver and everything mentioned in the posts that I found. Nothing seems to work.  What am i supposed to do?

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@Shaliny_prasad

Thank you for posting on HP Forums, MKazi is at your service. 

I understand that you have an HP Spectre x360 convertible series laptop. I read that the left speaker on the laptop produces a crackling noise. I appreciate the steps you have performed and have certainly done a good job.

Do you have external speakers or headphones to check with?

Meanwhile, let us run a  hardware test on the audio of the laptop. The following steps will help:

• Shutdown the laptop.
  • Turn on the laptop and immediately press Esc repeatedly, about once every second. When the menu appears, press the F2 key.

• On the main menu, click Component Tests.

Figure : Selecting Component Tests from the main menu

Selecting Component Tests from the main menu

• The Component Tests menu displays. Your Component Tests menu might be different, depending on the components installed on your computer.

Figure : Sample list of Component Tests

Sample List of the Component tests

• Audio Test - The Audio Playback Test checks your system to make sure the audio device is functioning properly. During the test, a few music notes are played in sequence and then repeated. This test takes 1 minute to complete.

To run the test, click Audio, and then click Run once. Choose either the speakers or the headphones. When asked, enter the number of notes you heard.

NOTE: You need to disconnect the external speakers or headphones when running a test n the laptop speakers.

If the crackling noise appears during the hardware test then it points towards a hardware issue and such a case you may contact our HP phone support team to explore the available service options for your HP laptop.

Hope this helps. Feel free to let me know how it goes. Good luck! 🙂

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.