Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
LAPTOP-F01FQHE9
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello everyone,

A newbie here on windows 10, oem from hp, I registered my product at hp a few days ago.

I read if you have an online connection. it reads your windows 10 and i don't have to worry about it becoming inactive in about a month.  (still a windows 7 user)  

How can i check this to make sure i don't have an ooppss moment.  Virtual assistant wasn't much help.

Apologies ahead of time if i posted this in the wrong place, i did some searching on posts.  Please be kind.

Thanks Mary

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi
ShowKeyPlus from the Microsoft Store (probably the best choice).
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/showkeyplus/9pkvzcprx9nv?activetab=pivot:overviewtab

The output is like this....
ShowKeyPlus - Windows Product Key Information

Product Name: Windows 10 Home
Version: 12345.678 (64-bit OS)
Product ID: 00000-00000-00000-AAOEM
Installed Key: 12345-67890-09876-54321
OEM Key: MICRO-SOFTY-WINDO-WSTEN-64BIT
OEM Edition: Win 10 RTM Core OEM:DM

ALSO
KeyFinderInstaller may help.…
It gives this…. – CD Key: 12345-67890-09876-54321

ELSE
There is a possibility of finding the same value in the Registry....
USING RegEdit the key is listed below and it’s content also shown.
Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\SoftwareProtectionPlatform

BackupProductKeyDefault 12345-67890-09876-54321

Three different names for the same value in 3 different software methods.

Then when you have all the info, Belarc Advisor may also help, it may well help you avoid any whoopsies.

Did I miss your point?

HP Recommended

Hi Lil_Boy_Blue,

Thank you so much for these links.  that was very easy with first link, and verified more information.  I don't think you missed my point, what i didn't state, was how to check up on, if my windows 10 key has been, for lack of better words acknowledged by either HP or Micorosoft.  that's my goal to find that out.  

To be clear, years ago, when i had first got my windows 7 desktop, you had to report the key number on the machine, or in a few weeks, you would not be able to use the machine for not reporting it in, that's the whoopsie i am trying to avoid.  In some article i read, it stated if you have internet connection, it would be done automatically, but that sounds so presumptuous to me.  I want to do it right before any problems occur.  What i did so far was register my product with the oem to HP.  I don't know if that's enough?  I would hate to call sales team to get a human over there, if thats even possible right now.  No card in box to fill out and send by mail.

Can you advise what i need to check up on to make sure all is well?

HP Recommended

Hi

My memory, and I do remember having a working one once, was that I had to generate a small file on Windows 7, only a few bytes long, which stayed on the machine ready for W10 upgrade/update.

Which seems similar to your description.  Unfortunately I can not say whether you are eligible or not.

Nor do I know how to check.

~~~

An install key I could give, but my post would be pulled if I did, so...

Heidc 11-11-19.png Heidoc have W7,8 and 10 iso's just in case.

Therefore you could try and earlier version than 1909, like 1709 and work your way forwards.

Other than ask Microsoft I feel like I dare not make any upgrade suggestions.

LATE EDIT, I'm like Wurzel Gummidge I got me stupid head on...

Paul Tikkanen would probably give this link....

https://www.zdnet.com/article/heres-how-you-can-still-get-a-free-windows-10-upgrade/

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.