cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Alex_ncfc
Level 3
59 46 1 10
Message 1 of 18
Flag Post

"We're sorry but you can't go back" - Windows 10 on HP Stream 7

HP Recommended

I've installed/uninstalled Windows 10 a few times on my HP Stream 7 tablet - the latest occasion being when I installed Windows 10 again once I found out that HP had released Windows-specific drivers for 10, as well as an updated BIOS. I thought I'd give it another go.

However, I am still not impressed with some parts of Windows 10 and realised I much prefer 8.1 - I had used the "Go back to Windows 8.1" function in Settings > Recovery before and it worked. But this time, I get a screen saying "We're sorry, you can't go back", telling me that important files needed to take me back to 8.1 were deleted from this PC.

This is plain wrong, because I have specifically made sure I did not delete the backup files for this reason, plus they are still clearly there on my C: drive in the root ($Windows.~BT and Windows.old directories) I have also not used any disk cleanup tools in case it got rid of the files. These folders are sat taking up 11GB space so I am pretty sure everything is still there, however, I cannot restore.

Back in June when I still had 8.1, I created a system image of the 32GB (all partitions) on the tablet and saved it on to an external 500GB hard disk drive. I want to be able to restore this image of 8.1, but when I go to the "Restore a system image" in the Windows recovery options, it only gives me the option to restore from the network!

I had thought about connecting the external hard disk with the backup to my laptop, sharing the folder and then connecting - but there is no wireless network access from these recovery options that I know of, so it cannot connect.

What are my options here? I don't really want to have to pay for recovery media when I have a backup myself.

Also very annoyed that installing Windows 10 renders the system recovery partition useless and yet it doesn't remove it, it still sits there taking up space. To be fair, I was warned about this prior to installing 10 for the first time.

Any help much appreciated.

17 REPLIES 17
kyle_b
Level 10
1,591 1,528 133 316
Message 2 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi, it sounds like you need the recovery USB created within Windows 8.1 from Control Panel => Recovery.  I have used this to restore the Stream 7 back to the factory configuration after wiping the disk completely clean and it works very well. It even restores the 5 GB recovery partition.

If you did not create that, I think someone on here uploaded an ISO file of it that you might be able to find or else you would have to order it from HP of course.

You raise another point as well that I was also curious about.  Since the Windows 10 installation creates its own 450 MB recovery partition, but apparently leaves the Windows 8.1 5.2 GB recovery partition intact, is there a way to repoint the recovery utility to the Windows 8.1 recovery partition somehow to restore Windows 8.1. 

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
Fracked
6 5 0 0
Message 3 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Did you have any success?  If you did I would be interested in the steps you took.  Did the suggestion from Kyle work?

Alex_ncfc
Author
Level 3
59 46 1 10
Message 4 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Hi, sorry for late update.

I've not had any success restoring Windows 8.1 via the "Go back" option.

I am now resigned to the fact that I will either have to find a way to restore from the image I backed up on my external hard disk, or do what Kyle has suggested and somehow get the HP recovery partition working again so that the built in recovery button (F11) initiates the recovery process, but I have no idea how to do this.
Photoray002
Level 15
Level 15
12,677 12,431 1,308 4,305
Message 5 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Windows offers a Media Creation Tool for window 8.1 as well as Windows 10

Its just a different link. IF you had Windows 8.1 with Bing originally, you would choose the version for Windows 8.1 Single Language.

You could restore Windows 8.1 by  burning a USB installer like kyle_b suggested. Then if you want to restore your 8.1 image after, perhaps it would go through now or leave it and have a clean OS installed.

You can also preload the drivers to a pen drive to install afterward.

Create installation media for Windows 8.1 - Windows Help

Would'nt this work? Let me know.

kyle_b
Level 10
1,591 1,528 133 316
Message 6 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The Windows 8.1 image available for download from Microsoft will install but it will not activate on the Stream tablet since it is only licensed for Windows 8.1 with Bing.

Photoray002
Level 15
Level 15
12,677 12,431 1,308 4,305
Message 7 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I got a copy, Will try it out on my Stream 8 and see what happens. I keep hearing on the MS forum it will work.

kyle_b
Level 10
1,591 1,528 133 316
Message 8 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Yes, I have tried it on the Stream 7, it installs but will not activate.

Fracked
6 5 0 0
Message 9 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I tried that, albeit with 8.1 instead of the "single language", but as I understand it, the only difference is as the title suggests.  Contrary to other postings, I was alwasy prompted for a product key, even though both versions of windows had been activated.  There was no option to skip entering the product key, so the OS wouldn't install.

kyle_b
Level 10
1,591 1,528 133 316
Message 10 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Fracked, yes, I thought I possibly got the downloadable Windows 8.1 image from Microsoft installed on the Stream 7 and it would not activate but probably I could not get past the license key prompt as you said. I found an earlier thread on this here for the Stream laptop. Thanks for the clarification.

ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation