cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
The HP Calculator Community Message Board is moving. While we prepare for the move, we are unable to accept new postings. During the move, you can look for help from other users by visiting https://www.hpmuseum.org/ . Or if you need technical support for your calculator visit: HP Calculators. .
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Photoray002
Level 15
Level 15
12,677 10,241 1,308 4,000
Message 11 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Kyle, I could get passed the first prompt for the key but still did not work.

A couple things I tried... I used a generic key to allow the install with the theory that it would activate itself after install. That allowed the OS to install all the way but still would not activate after.

I tried the .cfg file hack to negate the prompt for the key and activate after. Same thing , installed but would not activate.

Searches for this specific problem lead to a thread on the Windows forum about the fact that the Single Language install actually does not replace the OS installed by OEM's like HP and Dell as it will not recognize those keys.

So once again, the info being passed around is wrong. Fortunatley I had my Recovery Media burned.

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
Fracked
6 5 0 0
Message 12 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

This post should help you:

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Windows-Tablets/Windows-10-fresh-installation-on-the-HP-Stream-tablet/m...

See the part about downloading a recovery image for 8.1 with bing. 

kyle_b
Level 10
1,591 1,284 133 304
Message 13 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

An interesting test would be if you have an unactivated Windows 8.1 installation and then run the Windows 10 installation from the Windows 10 USB image, would it then activate under Windows 10?  I guess probably not but it might be worth a try.

Photoray002
Level 15
Level 15
Message 14 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

With the unactivated install of Windows 8.1 still on the tablet, I tried to do the same thing with 10 via clean install, just to see if it would recognize that it was already on there once before.  I had to choose Skip Activation but I got the same error that it could not be activated.

It was a long moring.

kyle_b
Level 10
1,591 1,284 133 304
Message 15 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Okay, great, thanks for testing that, I know how time consuming this testing can be.

Fracked
6 5 0 0
Message 16 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

My apologies, I linked the wrong article and can't seem to find the correct one.  There was an article about someone who did a clean install, and found a link to a site that had an image of Windows 8.1 with Bing.  I still have the link:

https://mega.nz/#!FpZThBQD!mfHwslRCMoLnMuxPaUQPh0jMB8_YeKfJwSnWSS3rPp0

It's a file called Recovery_usb.zip.  I've sold my tablet, so I no longer have any interest, but since I provided incorrect information, I will still try to find the original article.

The image for a model 5701 and here's the Readme from the file:

HP Stream 7 (model 5701) 32 GB

USB Flash 8 GB or more
Format in fat32, primary, active
Copy files from USB folder

Power down the tablet, connect USB Flash, Hold 'Power' and 'Volume Down'

Google for further steps

I've scanned the file with Malwarebytes and it was safe, but check for yourself.

Apologies again.

P.S. you will need to use a browser other than IE, to download the file.

Fracked
6 5 0 0
Message 17 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Here is the post where I found the link for the recovery image in the HP forums:

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Windows-Tablets/Does-anybody-have-a-recovery-image-of-Stream-7/td-p/470...

Photoray002
Level 15
Level 15
Message 18 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks Fracked, that makes more sense now that you  redid the link. 🙂

Its best to add the disclaimer that a person use those types of links at their own risk since those types of sites, bit torrent sights or cloud storage downloads from others we dont know are not trusted sources.

I do appreciate the info though.

Thank you.

ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation