cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
nugpot
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

reinstall windows 10

HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have an HP windows 10 2in1 tablet/laptop.  The hard drive is nearly full.  Windows keeps growing and growing.  I have been storing all of my files on an external drive but the operating system still takes up all the internal drive.   There are many apps that I don't use or don't even recognize.  They don't take up much space but they are annoying.  I would like to wipe the computer clean and reinstall win 10 and the few apps I actually use.

Is there any way I can reinstall windows since I presune I already have a license for the factory installed system.

Thanks, nugpot (that's top gun spelled backwads)

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
Paul_Tikkanen
Level 21
Level 21
129,187 119,364 19,498 29,793
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi:

Yes, you can clean install W10 as follows...if you have one of those models with the small capacity 32 GB eMMC drives, I recommend that when you get to the screen that asks 'Where do you want to install windows?', that you delete every drive partition, leaving just one partition of unallocated space.  Make sure it is set to the max.  It usually is by default, but double check.

You can make a W10 USB flash drive installer with the Microsoft Media Creation Tool, using an 8 GB flash drive using another Windows PC, if your PC is not working.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

If you are asked to enter a product key during the installation process, select the 'I don't have a product key' option, and W10 will install and automatically activate once you are connected to the internet.

Here are the steps to create the W10 USB flash drive installer...

Select Download tool now, and select Run.

If you agree to the license terms, select Accept.

On the What do you want to do? page, select Create installation media for another PC, and then select Next.

Select the language, edition, and architecture (64-bit or 32-bit) for Windows 10. You want 64 bit.

Select which media you want to use:

USB flash drive. Plug in a blank USB flash drive with at least 8GB of space. Any content on the flash drive will be deleted.

Then you can reinstall the drivers and available software from the PC's support page.

0 Kudos
nugpot
Author
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I downloaded the win 10 install tool but your directions say to install it in a partition of unallocated space.  MY problem is the drive is full, How/where do I get/make the unallocated space?

0 Kudos
Paul_Tikkanen
Level 21
Level 21
129,187 119,364 19,498 29,793
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You have to delete all of the partitions as I posted the other day...

If you didn't understand what I briefly wrote about that, watch this video...a video is worth 1,000 words...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9b6VqwA7vk

In this part we look at language and input choice, custom install partitions and formatting the hard drive and then installing
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation