Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Hp folio 9470m
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello, I updated my hp folio 9470m recently. The PC won't turn on, has a black screen yet the fan is running noisily. And I can't switch it off too unless I unplug the battery. The fan keeps on running endlessly. The LED lights keep on going on and off.

Please help. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You have hardware issues. The best you could do is take it to a shop and have it looked at. It might be cheaper to buy a new laptop, rather than fix it.

Your data on the hard drive should be ok and can be copied. A shop can do this for you too if needed.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hello @Haggens

Its been a few days since you posted.

Do you still need help or did you solve the issue?

If not, what update did you install when this happened? Windows updates or a graphics driver?

Can you boot into the bios before Windows boots?

HP Recommended

I can't do anything. There's nothing displaying on the screen. And am not sure what the update was. Just connected to the internet and updates started downloading. 

HP Recommended

OK so just to clear, when you hit the power button and immediately and rapidly tap the F10 button (or the ESC button) to access the Bios, nothing appears on the screen. It just remains black.

Sometimes this helps, sometimes not.

Unplug everything including the power cord.

Remove the battery.

Hold the bower button down for 30 seconds.

Replace the battery.

Plug the power cord in and try to access the Bios again.

If you still cannot even access the bios, you have a hardware failure of some type.

Let me know what happens so far.

HP Recommended

In case I dont hear back from you soon, if you still get a black screen when attempting to access the Bios...

Try powering up again but rapidly tap the ESC key for a while.

after a minute, if the screen is black, take a flash light and shine it at an angle to the screen and look carefully in the top left corner to see if you can see a faint image of text.

If you can, the lcd backlight of the screen has failed. That can be fixed by replacing the screen.

Ill wait to hear back from you.

HP Recommended

One major issue is that whenever I plug in the battery or power cable the laptop goes on and off endlessly until I unplug the battery/power. So pressing the Esc key isn't an option as the laptop goes on and off endlessly. The screen is black and the fan is running noisily only stopping whenever the PC goes off. 

HP Recommended

One major issue is that whenever I plug in the battery or power cable the laptop goes on and off endlessly until I unplug the battery/power. So pressing the Esc key isn't an option as the laptop goes on and off endlessly. The screen is black and the fan is running noisily only stopping whenever the PC goes off. 15118008027581113297606.jpg

HP Recommended

You have hardware issues. The best you could do is take it to a shop and have it looked at. It might be cheaper to buy a new laptop, rather than fix it.

Your data on the hard drive should be ok and can be copied. A shop can do this for you too if needed.

HP Recommended

Hello, I had the same problem with my HP folio 9470m. The screen was not displaying anything and the fan was making alot of noise.

I tried many things that I read on google but none worked. 

I finally took the machine for repair and It was found that My RAM has become faulty. anyone with similar problem should try relocating the  RAM to the other port, and if that doen not work, just try with a new compatible RAM. All the best

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.