Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Hp slate 10 hd 3501ES
Android 8.0 Oreo and older

The tablet worked, but I had problems pairing a bluetooth mouse, so I thought to install a clean factory image from here  (the "Google Android KitKat Restore Image for Slate 10 HD Wi-Fi 35xx - Europe, Middle East, Africa, Brazil, and Argentina (without preinstalled Amazon Apps)" one).

I tried both with an sd card and with adb sideload, same result: the tablet verifies the zip, says it's going to install it, then a screen with a dead android, two white dots and one black dots appears for a couple of minutes, then the tablet reboots to recovery.

I then tried the one with amazon apps but it complains it cannot install it over a newer version.

I saw similar reports in archived topics (here , here and   here ) but no solution.

I know the tablet is old but it have some uses for it, where may I find a working update.zip? I know there must be one (after all the tablet was working before I bricked it) but it's impossible to find.

Edit: oh, and I already tried the "wipe data/factory reset" option from recovery.

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

So, I tried to remove from the updater-script (from the zip "with amazon apps installed") the check for the date, but obviously the repacked zip fails the signature verification.

The recovery is very limited and I could find no way to boot in fastboot mode.

By using vol- and power I managed to see an usb device identified as "Marvell EMEI", I suppose it's a low level interface for initial commissioning of the SOC.

Bus 003 Device 015: ID 1286:8164 Marvell Semiconductor, Inc. EMEI

Is there no kind sould at HP that could find a working image and/or a recovery tool to reflash the tablet?

HP Recommended

Hi@olivluca,

Welcome to the HP Support Community!

Don't worry I'll try to help you out.

Resetting with the tablet powered on

If the tablet starts normally and you are able to sign in to the owner account (the first account added to the device), use the steps in this section to reset your tablet to its original factory state. User accounts do not have access to factory reset. If you are unable to use these steps, see Resetting when the tablet does not start for instructions to reset your tablet from the Android system recovery menu.

CAUTION: 

All data saved on your device is deleted when you perform a factory reset. All apps are uninstalled. Data stored in your Google Account can be restored. Back up all important files, either on the Web or with an external storage device, before resetting the tablet.

1. If you have a microSD card installed in the tablet, remove the memory card before resetting the tablet.

2. From the Home screen, touch the All apps icon, and then touch the Settings icon.

3. In the Personal section, touch Backup & reset.

Figure : Backup & reset

Backup & reset
  4. Touch Factory data reset.

Factory data reset

5. Touch Reset tablet.

Reset tablet

6. If you set a lock screen password for your tablet, enter your password when prompted.

7. Touch Erase everything to confirm and begin the reset.

Erase everything

8. The tablet powers off and the screen shows Erasing. When the reset is complete, the tablet reboots. Set up the tablet.

Resetting when the tablet does not start

If your tablet does not start normally, or if you do not remember the lock screen password, it might be necessary to perform a reset without turning on the tablet.

CAUTION: 

All data saved on your device is deleted when you perform a factory reset. All apps are uninstalled. Data stored in your Google Account can be restored. Back up all important files, either on the Web or with an external storage device, before resetting the tablet.

Use the following steps to begin the factory reset:

1. Charge the tablet for at least half an hour, and then disconnect the charging cable from the tablet.

2. If you have a microSD card installed in the tablet, remove the memory card before resetting the tablet.

3. Select your tablet model from the list below to view instructions for resetting the tablet.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted.

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

HP Recommended

As I said in the first message, I already tried a factory reset from recovery.

The problem is that the image available on your site (also linked from the first message but since your site is broken you then have to manually select "android" as an operaing system, the version doesn't matter) bricked the tabled (again, I explained that in the first message).

The image I used is the one named "Google Android KitKat Restore Image for Slate 10 HD Wi-Fi 35xx - Europe, Middle East, Africa, Brazil, and Argentina (without preinstalled Amazon Apps)",  Version 1.01.34 Rev.A, Released OCT 15 2015.

HP Recommended

Note also that I linked to discussions reporting the same problem, so I really think that the image available for download is corrupt. Please provide a working one. Thank you.

HP Recommended

@olivluca 

I feel your pain....  😞

I used to support the HP Android devices here on this Forum, but when HP abandoned their android program, they just let it go with no remorse... (IMHO).

I still have a fully-functional HP Slate 12, running android 5.1!  😕   A beautiful tablet...

It may be time to give your device a Viking funeral.  😞

WyreNut

-------------------------------------------------
Former Expert in the PalmOS, WebOS, and Android sections of this Community Forum.
I am a Volunteer here, not employed by HP.
HP Recommended

Well, I still hope that @praveenbv or someone else at HP can dig up a working image or some low level tool to debrick it (though there's a saying in my contry that says "he who lives hoping dies sh***ing" 😂)

HP Recommended

Hi@olivluca,

Please contact any local tech ( Mobile repair)that this cannot be fixed at home.

HP Recommended

Yes, it can be fixed at home, with a working image or with low level tools using the 1286:8164 usb device (again, with a suitable image).

I doubt a local shop could find those tools and images, they're somewhere deep into HP's belly, could you please dig those up for me?

Thank you.

HP Recommended

Hi@olivluca,

We have done the basic troubleshooting as per the installing the printer to your computer .hence the Operating system is obsolete its end of support Life

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.