Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Elitepad 1000 G2
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My Elitepad 1000 G2 was serviced in December because it didn't work with the Elitepad docking station. Support replaced the motherboard.

Now I am unable to upgrade the BIOS or even boot to a USB device. 

Bios Upgrades fail with the following error "An error occured during EFI flash".

I've tried to create a Recovery USB flash drive (to flash the BIOS) but am not able to boot to the USB device (per the instructions).

I have also been unable to boot to any other USB media such as Windows Installers, boot CDs, etc...

My tablet is now out of warranty (July 1st.... grrrr) and I can't open a service request.

Please assist.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Since HP has failed to respond I kept looking for answers. 

The Windows 10 Anniversary Update failed yesterday with the error: 

“We couldn’t update system reserved partition"

So I researched the error and found this MS support document: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3086249

It looks like HP had overfilled the 100 MB EFI Partition (System Reserved Partition) with updates and it has prevented any additional updates to the partition.

I followed the instructions for Windows 7 or 8/8.1 with GPT partition and was able to update my BIOS. I'm going to attempt updating Windows 10 now.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

I have the same problem. My Elitepad is now a brick. I upgraded the BIOS to 1.39 and now it wont boot at att. No HP logo NOTHING! Docked with the docking station and even tried to boot to the 3-in-1 diagnostics USB. NOTHING.

HP stop ignoring customers and HELP!!!

HP Recommended

Since HP has failed to respond I kept looking for answers. 

The Windows 10 Anniversary Update failed yesterday with the error: 

“We couldn’t update system reserved partition"

So I researched the error and found this MS support document: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3086249

It looks like HP had overfilled the 100 MB EFI Partition (System Reserved Partition) with updates and it has prevented any additional updates to the partition.

I followed the instructions for Windows 7 or 8/8.1 with GPT partition and was able to update my BIOS. I'm going to attempt updating Windows 10 now.

HP Recommended

Hey, did you have a successful boot from usb even once before?

I did not ever as I mentioned somewhere else.

Could you tell me the successful combination of options you chose?

HP Recommended

Hold down Volume Down key

Choose Boot Options from Bios Start Screen

Select a UEFI USB boot disk (Must be UEFI - Legacy Boot is not an option).

Just booted to a windows 8.1 install usb fine this way.

HP Recommended

This will only work if you can boot to a BIOS which I cannot.

HP Recommended

thanks for your reply.

but i can only find "os boot manager" in the boot device list even when plugging my usb stick prepared for selfboot...

HP Recommended

Prof_Steve, make that 2 BRICKS. Same problem and it just won't respond to any keys, contineously restarts with "Product Information not valid" page. Can't boot from USB or microSD, I even tried a USB floppy disk LOL. Tried various Dos on a FAT32 partion including Windows Media Creation for bot 32 and 64 bit OS, no joy.

Lots of people are say hold this key and that key but the fact is on a number of sites including my Elitepad I have noticed the same issue and that it doesn't respond to these key in order to select a boot option. It doesn't boot the OS or enter the BIOS and no one seems to be picking this scenario up.

Did you ever manage to fix your issue? Any help is appreciated, thank you.

HP Recommended

Got any solution? Have same problem. Worked well after I bought used unit around 2 month and then changed to slow. Installed clean W10 but nothing. Now have BIOS errors 501 and 601 and can´t overwrite BIOS what causes 501 error code.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.