Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 2x
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (32-bit)

I know this product is several years old but it has barely been used (primarily used for taking notes during work meetings). It is still physically like brand new and has hardly any software or files added to it. I kept active McAfee on it, so not liekly a virus.

The problem happend when I went to do m periodic start up on it (since it is not used on a regular basis) it would not turn on. There is a flicker of a white light up near the top of the screen, but nothing happens. I have held down the start button for 25 seconds (more than once) and it should be fully charged.

I looked on the boards here in HP and it looks like this has been a LONGSTANIDNG problem with this device... I only wish I would have found out about it while mine was under warrantly! Dose anyone know what the problem was determined to be? Is it worth repariing or should I trash it and take HP off of my "buy" list!

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@franohrn

Happy New Year to you! Let me take a moment to thank you for posting on the HP Support Forums. 

I understand that you have an HP Pavilion x2 detachable laptop and it does not power on. I further read that there is a flicker of a white light up near the top of the screen. I appreciate the steps you have performed and have certainly done a good job.

I would like to know if any changes (hardware or software) took place on the laptop after which this issue may have started. Meanwhile, I recommend you to perform the following steps to isolate the issue and arrive at a fix: 

• Let the laptop remain powered off.
  • Disconnected AC adapter from the laptop.
  • Press and hold the power button for 15 seconds.
  • Reconnect the AC adapter.
  • Power ON the laptop.

Please check if this makes a difference. If the issue persists then you may perform the steps as described in detail from this link:  Computer Does Not Start.

Let me know the outcome. Good luck! 🙂

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@franohrn

Happy New Year to you! Let me take a moment to thank you for posting on the HP Support Forums. 

I understand that you have an HP Pavilion x2 detachable laptop and it does not power on. I further read that there is a flicker of a white light up near the top of the screen. I appreciate the steps you have performed and have certainly done a good job.

I would like to know if any changes (hardware or software) took place on the laptop after which this issue may have started. Meanwhile, I recommend you to perform the following steps to isolate the issue and arrive at a fix: 

• Let the laptop remain powered off.
  • Disconnected AC adapter from the laptop.
  • Press and hold the power button for 15 seconds.
  • Reconnect the AC adapter.
  • Power ON the laptop.

Please check if this makes a difference. If the issue persists then you may perform the steps as described in detail from this link:  Computer Does Not Start.

Let me know the outcome. Good luck! 🙂

HP Recommended

Before the problem started, I had not done any updates or changes to it... it is rarely used and really only a backup for when away from home. I ended up trying to restart it over and over and finally I got a screen that that said somethng about the computer repairing itself, so I said "yes" and let it run through that process and it seemed to bring it back. After that, the computer went through days of updates! I can now see that I need to stay on top of the updates for it, even though I don't regularly use it. I have now made a habit of checking it every day to see how it is running and it seems to be doing ok.

Thank you so much for such a speedy reply! All my computers are HP (the Pavilion 2x, Envy laptop, and Envy Touchscreen PC) and it is nice to know these boards exist.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.