Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Samsung Galaxy 7 Edge
Android 8 Oreo

Installation of the HP Print Service Plugin is refused with the accompanying message that a previous version of the app is installed already. No further information about the app is given. I cannot detect this app on my phone, and uninstalling the corresponding Samsung plugin does not alleviate the problem. So, how can I find the app giving rise to the problem - or otherwise circumvent this error?

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Following the latest Android software updates installation of the HP Print Service Plugin finally succeeded.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

@GuttormO

Thank you for posting on HP Forums,

Flower_Bud is at your service.

As I understand, you're unable to install HP Print Service Plugin on your phone,

No worries, as I'll be glad to help you, that said, I'll need a few more details to dissect your concern & provide an accurate solution:

What is the printer model name?

Which printing app have you installed on your phone?

When was the last time it worked fine?

Were there any hardware/software changes made? 

How is your printer and Phone connected?

Is this the first time installation of HP Service Plugin on your phone?

Once I have the information, I'll help you further,

Keep me posted,

Cheers!

HP Recommended

First of all, thank you for investing time in this. Then to some further information:

Printer: HP Photosmart 7510. The software is updated to its latest version.

Printing apps: Until now I have used HP ePrint. As this is no longer supported I wanted to switch to HP Smart, and this requires the HP Print Service Plugin. HP ePrint is working, HP Smart has never worked as I have not been able to install the plugin. Since HP Smart hasn't worked I suppose as per definition no software changes have been made.

Connection to printer: Wi-Fi.

First installation? I have never been able to install the HP Print Service Plugin on my phone. It is not present among the installed apps even if also listing system apps.

I am not certain about the relevance of some of the info above. The (major) obstacle seems simply to be related to a refusal to install the HP Print Service Plugin.

HP Recommended

@GuttormO

Thank you for replying with this detailed response 😉

I appreciate your time and efforts,

Let's install HP Smart (Printer Remote)

Then try printing from HP Smart app.

Let me know how this goes,

Cheers!

If I have helped you resolve the issue, feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below,

Followed by clicking on "Accept as solution" from the drop-down menu on the upper right corner,

Thank you for posting in the HP Support Forum.  Have a great day!

HP Recommended

Thank you very much for your quick reply; and I think perhaps a few more clarifications are appropriate.

Installing the HP Smart app has never been a problem. But if you attempt to print something using this app, it requires you to also install the HP Print Service Plugin (evidently because its services are needed). And on my phone installing the plugin is always refused with an error message indicating that an incompatible version of the plugin has already been installed by another user. And, as I have mentioned before, I have never installed the plugin and I am unable to locate it among my installed apps. I have attempted various measures, e.g. uninstalling the Samsung Print Service Plugin, which judging by its name ought to be performing a similar task. So at this point I'm a bit lost at how to proceed...

HP Recommended

@GuttormO,

I am responding on behalf of @Flower_Bud  as she is out for the day. It is great to have you back and your patience is greatly appreciated.

I recommend you uninstall HP Smart App and also the HP print services plugin. Then clear the cache on your phone (Refer to the user manual of your phone to clear the cache) and then first install the HP print services plugin and then install the HP Smart App and check whether you are able to print.

If you continue facing the issue, I recommend you try installing the HP Smart App on a different phone and check whether you are able to print.

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have followed the advice given by @The_Fossette concerning a possible next attempt, i.e. I uninstalled the HP Smart app, cleared the phone cache and then tried to install the HP Print Services Plugin. Uninstalling the HP Print Services Plugin at the beginning of the process was unnecessary/impossible, since it has never been installed on the phone. Unfortunately, the step involving installation of the HP Print Services Plugin still fails and the same error message is displayed.

So, unless there is further territory which might be explored, I guess I'll have to settle for an unresolved case at this point. And I usually have the possibility of printing from my PC anyway, even though it would have been more satisfying to find a resolution for the phone as well...

HP Recommended

Even though we (probably) were not able to reach a successful conclusion to this puzzle, many thanks to @Flower_Bud and @The_Fossette for making brave efforts to solve it!

HP Recommended

@GuttormO

I see that you were interacting with @The_Fossette. I'd like to help.

Thanks for the reply.

I appreciate your time and effort.

I am sending you a private message. Please check the mailbox icon at the top-right corner of this screen.

I hope this helps resolve this issue completely.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for guiding me to the local HP store. Unfortunately these people are primarily interested in the hardware, which in my case would be the printer. However, the issue here is not the printer itself; e.g. the HP Smart app communicates with, and recognizes, the printer. This is purely a software problem, and I fear that it would take someone a bit familiar with the inner workings of the HP printing software for smartphones to sort it out. But thanks again for your kind guidance.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.