Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Yet another Wifi problem post on the HP Stream 7.

The tablet will not connect to any available WiFi Routers. We have both a Cisco router upstairs and the Comcast Router downstairs. My phone, my laptop, and all our other devices can see the access points but the Stream 7 reports 'No connections are available' on the Windows Start screen. When I check the driver status in the Device Manager is tells me that the driver is working fine and there are no problems. Running the Windows Troubleshooter it tells me it couldn't identify the problem (but there is a problem). Running the HP support assistant network Check Diagnostics tells me that 'This computer is suffering  a network connectivity problem (999)'  it then suggests that old chestnut 'Reset your Broadband modem and router'. if that were the case how come it can't see the other access point or the Starbuck on the other side of the road or any other WiFi network.

I've turned off Bluetooth and reset this machine half a dozen times but all to no avail. I've looked for updated drivers or some other magical fix also to no avail. I know that this tablet only cost $100 on Amazon but without network connectivity it's just an expensive paperweight. I'm very close to sending it and it's other three bretheren back to Amazon because if this one is going to crap out then it's only a matter of time for the other three.

If someone has a solution for this issue I would be really interested.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

This happened to me and others here also.  The fix for me was uninstalling the wireless driver from Device Manager. I said "yes" when prompted to delete the driver files.  I then ran the wireless driver installer from the hp.com site and that fixed it.  You would have to download the file on another computer and then copy it to the Stream via USB, micro SD or bluetooth if that is working.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

This happened to me and others here also.  The fix for me was uninstalling the wireless driver from Device Manager. I said "yes" when prompted to delete the driver files.  I then ran the wireless driver installer from the hp.com site and that fixed it.  You would have to download the file on another computer and then copy it to the Stream via USB, micro SD or bluetooth if that is working.

HP Recommended

Ladies and Gentlemen we have a winner!

Thank you so much kyle_b. I followed your instructions and deleted the original driver, downloaded the new driver from the HP support page and wrote it onto a microSD card. Plugged that into the Stream 7 and installed the new driver. Reset the machine and 'voila' I have WiFi connectivity again. Woohoo!

Thanks Kyle_B.

HP Recommended
I just purchased an Hp stream 14 quad core laptop. Having the same issues. Do you think I could use this fix? I'm not super computer savvy and don't want to delete anything before I know for sure.
HP Recommended

I figured out how to fix my wifi on HP Stream 8 tablet!!! Easy fix!

1. Swipe left along the right side of the tablet and click on the search

2. Type 'device manager' and then click on device manager

3. A window should pop up with lots of different devices. Scroll down to 'network adapters'. Click on the arrow next to it (unless it is already open) and find 'Realtek ... Wireless LAN ... Network Adapter'

4. Double click on that to open up a window for that adapter. If it says the device is unabled, go ahead an enable it to fix your wifi! If it says this device is working properly but your wifi isn't working, then I can't help you 😞

HP Recommended

I found a much easier answer

my tablet said no network device available but go to device manager and it i s there

Go to device manager and look for the broadcom network adapter

It will probably say all is well

go to the adavnced tab - mine said auto in a little drop down box also available were disabled and enabled

I set it to disabled then said apply

then set it back to auto and apply again

Lo and behold wifi now working again

HP Recommended

Hi, I'm a bit of an computer/ I.T novice so I'm having trouble following what you said.. i found device manager and checked out the network adapter but i saw quite a few WAN's and not sure which one if not all to delete?? and where on the hp site do I find the wireless driver installer?? sigh any help would be appreciated thanks

HP Recommended

This solution only requires one computer. This is to fix a missing, broken or outdated driver which is causing the wifi to stop working. The driver is the Realtek wireless adapter. 

Try using the HP Utility Center, it is the "hp" icon on your taskbar (if using Windows 10) or you can search for it. When the application opens up there should be two icons in the hp utility center box. Click HP Recovery Manager, next Windows will prompt you to allow this application to make changes to your computer click 'yes'. Next click the first option under Help! "Reinstall drivers and/or applications". The results will load and then the first/only option should be your missing driver. Click the check box next to your driver and click install (you don't need internet access to do this). Once installed, the application will ask you to restart your computer. 

Hope that helps 😄 

HP Recommended

Correct. This works with my Realtek  Wireless adapter as well. Simply making an adjustment, click OK and it popped into life. In my case, I found "Antenna Diversity" was Disabled' I simply Enabled it and clicked OK. Why would I not want to enable diverse antenna? 🙂

I've had my HP Stream 7 for almost a year now. Overall I have found it unreliable, needs frequent "admin tweaking" and a major Windows 10 update late 2015 required me to remove everything, including the Office 365 that came with it, because there simply isnt enough storage on the device. For most users, this is not a viable device.

HP Recommended

I tried this antenna diversity setting as well but found that my bluetooth failed after that, restored back to normal and bluetooth working again

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.