Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Omni10
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

The touchscreen of my old Omni10 is not working anymore.

I have followed the instructions here: https://www.quora.com/SOLVED-To-all-owners-of-HP-Omni-10-Is-your-touchscreen-working and this solved this issue, but after some months the problem was coming back. Now after a new fix  the problem is coming in less than 3 weeks. This makes my tablet useless.

I would like to install Linux on it and use it as a server or as a media player.

I have searched the web but did not find instructions on how to install Linux on it.

Does anyone know?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I auto reply to myself as I found the solution and hope it will help anyone who face the same problem.

Disclaimer:

- Please backup all your files on your tablet before following this procedure.

- There is a chance that it does not work for you and your tablet may be useless, so follow the next steps if your don't mind losing your table.

Notes:

- My bios version is Version F.0E Rev. A

- I was not able to install Ubuntu as it seems that at least you need a 32bit UEFI which is not available with Ubuntu, that's why I used Debian.

Install Debian  

1. Download small image for i386: debian-10.5.0-i386-netinst.iso from https://www.debian.org/distrib/netinst 
  2. Create a USB key 
    1. Win10: Use Rufus with default settings to create a USB key (GPT, ...)
    2. Linux: sudo dd bs=4M if=debian-10.5.0-i386-netinst.iso of=/dev/sd? conv=fdatasync status=progress 
  3. Insert your USB key with a USB OTG cable 
  4. Boot your Omni10 to bios 
    1. Press volume down while pushing button power on 
    2. Change order of booting (usb key first) and reboot  
  5. This will install Debian  
    1. Skip ethernet/wifi detection as it won't work, we will fix this later.
    2. In the end Debian should be installed and should boot 
    3. But, I could not login as some characters are added each time you press a key preventing from entering a correct password. To solve this we must install a graphical environment 
  6. Download live LXDE debian with non free firmware: debian-live-10.5.0-i386-lxde+nonfree.iso from https://cdimage.debian.org/images/unofficial/non-free/images-including-firmware/10.5.0-live+nonfree/... 
  7. Repeat step 2 for this iso and connect this new key to your tablet.
  8. Reboot your Omni10 
  9. Once live CD is started, click on install Debian icon 
  10. This will install Debian but will fail when installing grub. It is not a problem as grub as been already installed with previous installation 
  11. Reboot and you should be able to login with graphical interface 
  12. Make wifi working (see https://wiki.debian.org/InstallingDebianOn/Asus/T100TA for more details)
    1. Open a terminal in Debian on Omni10 and type: 
    2. sudo cp /sys/firmware/efi/efivars/nvram-74b00bd9-805a-4d61-b51f-43268123d113 /lib/firmware/brcm/brcmfmac43241b4-sdio.txt 
    3. sudo modprobe -r brcmfmac && sudo modprobe brcmfmac 
  13. Connect wifi 
    1. Type in a terminal 
    2. sudo ip link set wlan0 up 
    3. Edit file /etc/network/interfaces (with vi) 
    4. In the end the file should look like this above: 
    5. source-directory /etc/network/interfaces.d 
      allow-hotplug wlan0 
      iface wlan0 inet dhcp 
          wpa-ssid SSID_OF_YOUR_WIFI 
          wpa-psk PASSWORD_OF_OUR_WIFI 
  14. Check wifi is working (reboot before or restart driver?) 
    1. Type in a terminal 
    2. sudo ifup wlan0 
    3. sudo iw wlan0 link 
    4. ip a 
    5. You should have an IP address 
    6. sudo apt update should work. 
  15. Configure your wifi router to assign a fix ip to your omni10 based on its mac address. It will be simpler to login with ssh later on.
  16. Optional actions 1 
    1. Install ssh: sudo apt install ssh 
    2. Remove /etc/apt/sources.list.d/debian-live-media.list 
    3. Install htop: sudo apt install htop 
  17. Optional actions 2 (to have more space on disk by removing some packages) 
    1. Remove libre-office 
    2. sudo apt-get remove --purge libreoffice* 
    3. sudo apt clean 
    4. sudo apt autoremove 
    5. Remove graphical environment and reinstall only lxde-core 
    6. sudo apt-get remove --purge live-* 
    7. sudo apt clean 
    8. sudo apt autoremove 
    9. Reboot 
    10. Connect with ssh 
    11. sudo apt install lxde-core 

Some steps may lack of description. Let me know and I will edit to add more explanations.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

I auto reply to myself as I found the solution and hope it will help anyone who face the same problem.

Disclaimer:

- Please backup all your files on your tablet before following this procedure.

- There is a chance that it does not work for you and your tablet may be useless, so follow the next steps if your don't mind losing your table.

Notes:

- My bios version is Version F.0E Rev. A

- I was not able to install Ubuntu as it seems that at least you need a 32bit UEFI which is not available with Ubuntu, that's why I used Debian.

Install Debian  

1. Download small image for i386: debian-10.5.0-i386-netinst.iso from https://www.debian.org/distrib/netinst 
  2. Create a USB key 
    1. Win10: Use Rufus with default settings to create a USB key (GPT, ...)
    2. Linux: sudo dd bs=4M if=debian-10.5.0-i386-netinst.iso of=/dev/sd? conv=fdatasync status=progress 
  3. Insert your USB key with a USB OTG cable 
  4. Boot your Omni10 to bios 
    1. Press volume down while pushing button power on 
    2. Change order of booting (usb key first) and reboot  
  5. This will install Debian  
    1. Skip ethernet/wifi detection as it won't work, we will fix this later.
    2. In the end Debian should be installed and should boot 
    3. But, I could not login as some characters are added each time you press a key preventing from entering a correct password. To solve this we must install a graphical environment 
  6. Download live LXDE debian with non free firmware: debian-live-10.5.0-i386-lxde+nonfree.iso from https://cdimage.debian.org/images/unofficial/non-free/images-including-firmware/10.5.0-live+nonfree/... 
  7. Repeat step 2 for this iso and connect this new key to your tablet.
  8. Reboot your Omni10 
  9. Once live CD is started, click on install Debian icon 
  10. This will install Debian but will fail when installing grub. It is not a problem as grub as been already installed with previous installation 
  11. Reboot and you should be able to login with graphical interface 
  12. Make wifi working (see https://wiki.debian.org/InstallingDebianOn/Asus/T100TA for more details)
    1. Open a terminal in Debian on Omni10 and type: 
    2. sudo cp /sys/firmware/efi/efivars/nvram-74b00bd9-805a-4d61-b51f-43268123d113 /lib/firmware/brcm/brcmfmac43241b4-sdio.txt 
    3. sudo modprobe -r brcmfmac && sudo modprobe brcmfmac 
  13. Connect wifi 
    1. Type in a terminal 
    2. sudo ip link set wlan0 up 
    3. Edit file /etc/network/interfaces (with vi) 
    4. In the end the file should look like this above: 
    5. source-directory /etc/network/interfaces.d 
      allow-hotplug wlan0 
      iface wlan0 inet dhcp 
          wpa-ssid SSID_OF_YOUR_WIFI 
          wpa-psk PASSWORD_OF_OUR_WIFI 
  14. Check wifi is working (reboot before or restart driver?) 
    1. Type in a terminal 
    2. sudo ifup wlan0 
    3. sudo iw wlan0 link 
    4. ip a 
    5. You should have an IP address 
    6. sudo apt update should work. 
  15. Configure your wifi router to assign a fix ip to your omni10 based on its mac address. It will be simpler to login with ssh later on.
  16. Optional actions 1 
    1. Install ssh: sudo apt install ssh 
    2. Remove /etc/apt/sources.list.d/debian-live-media.list 
    3. Install htop: sudo apt install htop 
  17. Optional actions 2 (to have more space on disk by removing some packages) 
    1. Remove libre-office 
    2. sudo apt-get remove --purge libreoffice* 
    3. sudo apt clean 
    4. sudo apt autoremove 
    5. Remove graphical environment and reinstall only lxde-core 
    6. sudo apt-get remove --purge live-* 
    7. sudo apt clean 
    8. sudo apt autoremove 
    9. Reboot 
    10. Connect with ssh 
    11. sudo apt install lxde-core 

Some steps may lack of description. Let me know and I will edit to add more explanations.

HP Recommended

Fix the mmcsd interface read only issue.

Problem:

Each sd card inserted in the omni10 will be readonly. There is no way to change this. This is due to an inverted write-protect state

Solution:

Create a new file sdhci.conf in folder /etc/modprobe.d

The file should contain this line:

options sdhci debug_quirks=0x10000

Quirks are used by sdhci driver to modify the driver behavior. See https://elixir.bootlin.com/linux/v4.19.110/source/drivers/mmc/host/sdhci.h#L393 for a list all possible quirks.

Then type command (it may takes some minutes to execute):

sudo update-initramfs -u -k all

and reboot.

HP Recommended

Bluetooth missing files.

Retrieve file BCM4324B3.hcd from https://github.com/Asus-T100/firmware/blob/master/brcm/BCM4324B3.hcd

and copy it to /lib/firmware/brcm/

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.