Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hello, I'm trying to move my Palm Desktop over from old Vista-32 to new Windows 10 laptop. I have a Z22 and I'm using Desktop 4.2. 

I installed Desktop 4.2 from my original disk and followed the instructions in the post "64 Bit Windows7/8/8.1 USB drivers for Palm Desktop" and I made the program always run as administrator.

Everything went as expected. The Desktop seems to be running fine and when I did Hotsync it brought all my tasks, contacts, etc from the Z22 into the Desktop.

I then changed some tasks in the Desktop and Hotsynced again.  It whirred away and I got the usual message 'Hotsync complete' but none of the changes in the tasks appeared on the device. I then tried the other way round and that didn't sync either. Nor will the Calendar sync, yet it tells me Hotsync complete. I've re-started and tried a different USB socket but no joy.

Is this a problem with using version 4.2 (in which case I'll uninstall and try 6.2) or might it be something in my settings?

34 REPLIES 34
HP Recommended

Hello, and Welcome to the HP Support Community!

Have you checked the HotSync Manager to see if the conduit is set to "Synchronize"?  It may somehow be set to "Overwrite.." in one direction.

Be sure it has "Synch" checked, and the "Set as Default" is also set.

WyreNut

-------------------------------------------------
Former Expert in the PalmOS, WebOS, and Android sections of this Community Forum.
I am a Volunteer here, not employed by HP.
HP Recommended

Thanks for your help. I tried but unfortunately it's not that.

Under the Desktop Hotsync tab, I selected 'Custom' and it showed the action for Tasks etc. as 'synchronise'. Just as an experiment I changed it to 'Desktop overides handheld' but it made no difference when I did the Hotsync - both the desktop and device display ´synchronising Tasks, Calaendar, etc`, etc  and it whirrs round and then says Hotsync complete. The Hotsync log on the device says `Tasks OK´, Calendar OK, etc. . So it thinks it has completed the synch but no data has moved in either direction.

Is there something else I can try?

HP Recommended

When you open Palm Desktop, is the correct User being displayed?

Are there more than one User listed when you open the pull-down menu?  Perhaps the wrong account is being shown, and the data is flowing to another...?

WyreNut

Former Expert in the PalmOS, WebOS, and Android sections of this Community Forum.
HP Recommended

Yes, I've only got the one user name set up. It's the same name I was using on the old PC.

I've just gone back to the old PC to test that Hotsync still works OK on that - it does, so that rules out faults in the device or the cable, I suppose.

I guess you don't think the problem is that I'm still using the original 4.2 Desktop, so no need to switch to 6.2?  The only thing I can think of now is to uninstall everything and start again.

HP Recommended

I'm home from my trip to San Francisco now, let me set up a Win10 device and one of my Palm TX's.

I'll get back to you ASAP.  (BTW, I have been using Palm Desktop 6.2.2 all along.)

Palm Desktop 4.x is supposed to work with more modern versions of Windows, but it loses a lot of functions - Quick Install, Docs 2 go integrations, etc.

WyreNut

HP Recommended

OK, I'm back...  🙂

I dug through all my Palm accessory drawer(s) and pulled out some of the funkiest Palm cables I had forgotten about!  The one I'm using now is full-width of the HotSync port, and has an extra port to attach the charger separately!

20150814_134228.jpg

Using Palm Desktop 6.2.2, I had a similar experience - made new data on the Desktop, then performed a HotSync.  All went well, no data transferred to the TX.

Closed Palm Desktop on the PC, re-opened, did a HotSync, all was well!   😕  Had to do the same when I entered new data on the TX.  Would not show until I closed Palm Desktop, then restarted it!  😞

Still experimenting.  See if closing/re-opening works on 4.x.

WyreNut

HP Recommended

I had an idea, which has partially solved the problem. In Windows 10 I right clicked on the Desktop icon and selected 'troubleshoot compatibility', then 'troubleshoot program',  it asked me if the program worked OK on a previous version of Windows, so I said it did on Vista and then it applied Vista compatibility settings.

Now Hotsync works both ways.

However - it has deleted all my categories both on the desktop and the device and now just shows either Business, Personal or Unfiled. I don't know how or when this happened because it's the same on the Desktop on my old PC, so perhaps I've done something wrong to delete the categories and this problem  has nothing to do with installing Desktop in Windows 10. Anyway, it isn't a huge problem to go through my tasks and add categories again.

So if you think  the problem with categotries is unrelated, I can perhaps mark the Hotsync problem as solved.

HP Recommended

Hi Wyrenut.  

Thank you for your previous advice, which has been invaluable.  I am about to switch from Windows 7 32-bit to Windows 10 64-bit. I am currently succesfully runing Desktop 4.1.4 with HotSynch 4.1.0  I failed to get Desktop 6.2 to work some time ago, but found the earlier version fine.

Are you able to confirm that my set-up will work on Win10 64-bit? I would need to guarantee that I could transfer the data in my current Desktop. Overall I am very dependent on my Palm Desktop and Palm TX although I suppose I could reluctantly synchronise a working Desktop with my i-phone and kiss the TX goodbye.

Many thanks

GROUPIE 

HP Recommended

@GROUPIE wrote:

Hi Wyrenut.  

Thank you for your previous advice, which has been invaluable.  I am about to switch from Windows 7 32-bit to Windows 10 64-bit. I am currently succesfully runing Desktop 4.1.4 with HotSynch 4.1.0  I failed to get Desktop 6.2 to work some time ago, but found the earlier version fine.

Are you able to confirm that my set-up will work on Win10 64-bit? I would need to guarantee that I could transfer the data in my current Desktop. Overall I am very dependent on my Palm Desktop and Palm TX although I suppose I could reluctantly synchronise a working Desktop with my i-phone and kiss the TX goodbye.

Many thanks

GROUPIE 

I cannot confirm Palm Desktop 4.x will work correctly.  I have tried 6.2.2, and found it works with a minor HotSync glitch.

Let us know what you find out!  Be sure to make backups of all your Palm data.  Use the File/Export method to easily Import all the info into 6.2.2 if you decide to use that version.

WyreNut

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.