Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Elitepad 1000 G2 Heathcare
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Hi,

I have some difficulties to enrol touchless smart card and contact Smart Card  on an Elitepad 1000 G2  Heathcare Tablet Model  HSTNN-C78C

The electronics components are supposed to be a NXP PN544 Smart Card Reader and Alcor Micro USB Smart Card Reader as per the Window Device Manager.

I an not sure about the drivers to install and about what ... must be install first.

The toucheless card (RFID ISO 14443 MiFare Card) is detected (beeps) and i can read the card model in the HP Client Security enroll window ...but, the card must be very close to the top of the screen glass.

The contact Smart Card is detected (beep) when it is inserted in the card reader, but nothing append on the HP Client Security enroll window.

Next, ...do you know the PN used to order an HP Recovery disk for Model HSTNN-C78C

Any information will be helpfull ...what is missing or what i miss ?

Thanks !

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi Photoray002,

This blog seem to be the best way to explaine our frustrations about the high complexity of the today computers.

I thing that sometime, some HP sprites give us some remote luck ...

The problem solved by itself ...

Thank for your time.

RBer

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hello RBer

You say the Smart Card Reader recognizes the card inserted, but not dialog box opens to let you enter the security PIN?

I'm not really up on how the Healthcare functionality works.

Are you sure the card is functioning properly? Is this a situation where you could try other cards to see if this still happens? 

I doubt a driver installation is needed but here is the Alcor Micro Smart Card Reader Driver just in case.

As far as how its supposed to work, you might get better results asking HP Business Support directly.

Here is the contact page for USA support...

Click the link, then choose Business Products from the drop down menu.

Contact Business Support

Also, any HP computer should display its Product Number in the HP Support Assistant.

Go to Start> Programs and look for the HP Support Assistant to start it.

If you cannot create your own HP Recovery Media from the tablet, you would do best to contact HP Support from the link above to ensure you get the correct media sent to you.

Hope this points you in the right direction.

If anyone knows more about the Smart Card Reader, Chime In!

HP Recommended

Hello Photoray002 ...,

Thanks for your time.

I installed, as suggested, the « Alcor Micro Smart Card Reader Driver ». The ElitePad lock while installing ... I turn it off  and restart ... again same problem with the contact less card. I reinstall the downloaded softpack « Alcor Micro Smart Card Reader Driver ». Since the reinstallation, it is possible to enroll the contact less cards. ....GREAT.

When I try to read a contacts smart card, if the card model is detected by the hardware, the following message  is display : « The specified Smart Card name is not recognized. (Exception from HRESULT: 0X8010000D) ». It is a standard MS Windows  Authentication Error Return Values. Non initialized smart card are not detected at all ... no beep. I think that I need a specific driver made by the smart card manufacturer to be able to use the contacts smart cards.

Since I install the driver, I note that some binary code have been inserted between the partition C and the partition D (about 36 MB). It is impossible to include this code in the drive image. ...may be some code use to validate or virus or loosed cluster ...? I can't reinstall to clean because I have no reinstallation CD.

I will try, next week, to order the « Reinstallation CD ». This ElitePad is not supported by HP in Canada. I have to try to get it from the US HP Support Desk ...but, I don't know if they have some software exportation restrictions to Canada ... .

When I use the « Softpack Download Manager » and I install the downloaded software packages, I got more problems than it supposed to. I think that they have missing validation codes in the ElitePad or on the HP Help Desk Software Server. May be HP have to validate this tablet for use in Canada ?

I got same kind of problem if I try to encrypt the internal drive with the « HP Client Security » drive encryption feature. I got no « HP Drive Encryption login Window » to start the drive encryption, as if all security features was disabled. Did I have to post a new message to solve this problem ?

Thanks

Best Regard

RBer

HP Recommended

Try the USA  link I gave above for Business Support. I believe the USA support for Business will also support Canada.

For the Softpaq issues and HP Client Security problem, try the section for Commercial PC Software - HP Support Forum .

You might have better luck there.

HP Recommended

Thanks !

Have a nice weekend !

RBer

HP Recommended

Hi Photoray002,

This blog seem to be the best way to explaine our frustrations about the high complexity of the today computers.

I thing that sometime, some HP sprites give us some remote luck ...

The problem solved by itself ...

Thank for your time.

RBer

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.