Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

It is very frustrating when the auto-correct changes 'mit' to 'MIT' because the auto-correct is programmed to capitalize 'mit' to the abreviation for Massachusets Institute of Technology, and changes 'Bis Freitag' to 'Bus freitag'. I would like to turn off the auto-correct, at least some times, but I don't see any setting to turn it off. Is it possible?

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Jim_Auricman wrote:

I also have English (United States) selected, but I see no mention of Google Keyboard anywhere under settings.

Do you believe that the HP Slate 7 is causing the auto-correction? Did you see the same correction I reported where 'mit' is changed to 'MIT'?

Thanks again for your effort. BTW, I really do enjoy having the Slate 7. This auto-correction is a minor annoyance.

Jim

I did see the change from mit to MIT, but I fixed that with the workaround I mentioned earlier by adding the words to the dictionary. I believe Android is causing the auto-correct. 

Another discovery - "Google Keyboard" apparently was a download I installed from the Play Store, not a pre-installed app on the Slate7.  Try downloading and installing this app, and see if you can de-select Auto Correct.

We'll get this problem fixed!

WyreNut

-------------------------------------------------
Former Expert in the PalmOS, WebOS, and Android sections of this Community Forum.
I am a Volunteer here, not employed by HP.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

Jim, try going to Settings/Language & input/.  Uncheck the "Spell Checker" box.

As an option, you could also add the words that keep getting corrected to your dictionary.  When flagged, tap the word underlined and select "Add to dictionary".  That way they will be accepted in the future.

WyreNut

Former Expert in the PalmOS, WebOS, and Android sections of this Community Forum.
HP Recommended

"Jim, try going to Settings/Language & input/.  Uncheck the "Spell Checker" box."

I have already done that, but spell checking is not the same as Auto-Correct. I wouln't mind if it just highlighted the possible mis-spelling, but it absolutely refused to let me write it as I wanted. It is possible that it is not the Slate 7 that is causing the Auto-correct, but the Verizon email that I am using that is causing the problem. Can you try using words like 'mit' and 'Bis' and see if this is a Slate 7 problem or a Verizon problem?

Thanks a lot.

Jim

HP Recommended

The workaround I came up with is to add both words to the "Personal Dictionary" as shortcuts, with the same text as the phrase.  I then opened the Gmail app, and was able to type both without correction.

Frankly, I haven't explored this area until now!  I'm going to add a whole bunch of phrases and shortcuts right after this reply!!  Thanks for pointing me here.   🙂

WyreNut

HP Recommended

Thanks for your interest. Do you think it is the Slate 7 that is doing the auto-correcting, or is it the Verizon email? Adding a complete list of German words is not a viable solution for me. I just wish I could turn off the auto-correct if it is the Slate 7 that is being too dictatorial.

HP Recommended

OK, I think I found it!

Did some internet research, and found this:

Settings/Language/Google Keyboard (tap the settings icon for this item)

If you scroll down to "TEXT CORRECTION",  there is Auto-Correction!  You have 4 settings, including OFF.

Also, the "Add-on dictionaries" might be helpful to you, since they have "Deutsch" as an option.   🙂

WyreNut

HP Recommended

I looked under settings/Language & Input, but there is no Google Keyboard option available.

There is a Google Voice typing toggle. My tablet is the Slate 7 2800 Android version 4.1.1.     v1.05.9_user

Is this the model you are checking?

Thanks,

Jim

HP Recommended

Yes, that is the model I have.

I do have "English (US) - Google Keyboard" set as the default.  Not sure if this makes a difference.

Beneath the Google Keyboard I see "Google voice typing (Automatic)" listed.

WyreNut

HP Recommended

I also have English (United States) selected, but I see no mention of Google Keyboard anywhere under settings.

Do you believe that the HP Slate 7 is causing the auto-correction? Did you see the same correction I reported where 'mit' is changed to 'MIT'?

Thanks again for your effort. BTW, I really do enjoy having the Slate 7. This auto-correction is a minor annoyance.

Jim

HP Recommended

@Jim_Auricman wrote:

Jim

I did see the change from mit to MIT, but I fixed that with the workaround I mentioned earlier by adding the words to the dictionary. I believe Android is causing the auto-correct. 

Another discovery - "Google Keyboard" apparently was a download I installed from the Play Store, not a pre-installed app on the Slate7.  Try downloading and installing this app, and see if you can de-select Auto Correct.

We'll get this problem fixed!

WyreNut

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.