Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Pavilion x2 Detachable 10-n123
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I bought a Type C USB cable on Amazon to use with my Pavilion x2. When I plugged the type A end into a charger I have and the Type C end into the x2 the white led light next to the USB port on the x2 flashed briefly and turned off.  When I plugged the Type A end into my desktop computer and the Type C end into the x2 I got the same result.  I tried a different Type C cable with the same result.  In one of my attempts (I think it was plugging into the charger with the x2 powered on) I ended up getting a message on the x2 about BIOS corruption and I had to go through a process using a Bitlocker code to restore the x2 to operating condition.

The x2 charges fine with the cable/adapter shipped with the x2.  I just want an alternative.  I don't want to be dependent on one cable.

Both of the cables I tried got very positive reviews from other users on Amazon.

Does the x2 only work with Type C cables from HP?  Or is something wrong with my x2?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I realize that, I just wanted to know if it would still charge after that.

Also, in the Amazon reviews, there are quite a few people having similar trouble charging their devices with the Cable Matters version. It would seem there are some compliancy issues at the moment manufacturers are sorting out still.

You may have one of those bad cables?

Cable Matters appears to be replacing cables at customers request.

Other than that, I just cant say, it would be a total guess. Sorry.

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18
HP Recommended

Hello Colin,

Which cables are you using from Amazon?

Without knowing specifically what you have,  I couldnt say.

Are they OTG compliant adapter cables?

If so, they could be faulty or not quit meeting specs.

Although the HP specs sheet for your x2 leaves a whole lot up to the imagination on actual details for charging.

Its still a new thing with USB type C connections. C is just a connector type, not the specification on how its wired.

Unless I had that other manufactures cable in my hand to test with, I can only say to stick with the adapter cable that came with the tablet.

HP Recommended
HP Recommended

Out of curiosity, did you go back to the HP cable to see if the tablet worked properly again or did the tablet not charge still?

Otherwise I will pass the question on to the powers that be when I can to see what others have noticed.

I have the X2 spectre and am ordering an extra cable also to see if the same thing happens to me.

HP Recommended

The tablet charges fine with the supplied cable/adapter. Since the cable is hard-wired into the adapter, it can't be used with other chargers or to connect to my desktop computer.

HP Recommended

I realize that, I just wanted to know if it would still charge after that.

Also, in the Amazon reviews, there are quite a few people having similar trouble charging their devices with the Cable Matters version. It would seem there are some compliancy issues at the moment manufacturers are sorting out still.

You may have one of those bad cables?

Cable Matters appears to be replacing cables at customers request.

Other than that, I just cant say, it would be a total guess. Sorry.

HP Recommended

This whole thing is frustrating.  The product listing claims the cable has been re-engineered to conform to the USB-C specification.  Also, the HP Pavilion x2 is listed as a compatible device.

I will check into getting a refund or replacement.  I already got a refund from Rankie.

HP Recommended

Thanks and good to know. Yes its frustrating.

One thing I found more beneficial than another C cord was a 4 port USB 3 hub. Its plugged into one side while the other C port is open for the charger.

Running a mouse and a couple of pen drives. Really helps if I boot Linux or other tools off of it. Flash drives are benching at the same speeds as my desktop.

Good luck.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817659002

HP Recommended

colinwhipple,

There's likely nothing wrong with your cables. Unfortunately HP engineered their new usb-c charging devices to be ONLY compatible with HP propietary chargers. However, the device WILL charge while off when using a 3rd party cable (though you won't see any light indication).

This move by HP is downright evil to consumers and then they fail to even inform users of the decision.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3017182/hardware/usb-c-charging-universal-or-bust-we-plug-in-every-de...

HP Recommended

Third party chargers for USB C will charge an HP Device if the device is turned off first.

Its not allowed to charge while the device is on as a preventative of possibility turning your PC into a brick.

Read that article again!

And its actually a smart move on HP's part as usb c is still new and YES mfg's of adapter cables are experiencing troubles right now with the C scheme.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.