Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Besides the charging situation, neither of the cables I tried could establish a connection between the x2 and my desktop computer, which is also an HP.  That problem is less important than the charging, because I am able to connect using bluetooth, to transfer files.

Colin

HP Recommended

Actually, Photoray002, "if you read my post again", you'll notice I mentioned everything you did. We disagree on the opinion that HP's move was the right one. The convenience of USB-C charging is completely wiped away by requiring propietary chargers. 

With my cell phone, I can borrow a friends charger or power bank. With the X2, I need to lug around th extra brick+attached cord. Please give me the option in the BIOS to remove the block. The chance that an off brand cord will "fry" my $150 laptop is a risk i'm willing to take. 

On additional note, the HP charger heats up my unit to 80 C, without any CPU load. Speaking of poor engineering...

HP Recommended

Apologies if I am misunderstanding you.

You said "However, the device WILL charge while off when using a 3rd party cable" and I am saying the article implies charger.

Fair enough for agreeing to disagree though. We are all entitled to our opinion. :generic:

How are you measuring the temps you are getting?

What specifically is heating up, the CPU or a different spot on the tablet?

My Spectre X2 12 detachable does have a warm spot on the back of the tablet regardless of the charger connected, but nothing as hot as you're reporting.

I will say if you are getting unusually hot temps while charging, I would contact Support for a warranty issue, in case you happen to have a faulty unit (or just return it to the store you bought it from if its not too late).

HP Recommended

No worries. By cable, I mean usb-c to A cable with separate wall charger. It will charge while off with any 3rd party cable, regardless of wall charger.

I'm using coretemp, hwinfo, and open hw monitor for cpu temperatures. The unit operates at upper 50s-60s C on cores 1-4 while on battery and word processing. it does get fairly hotter while watching video. However, when plugged in with the HP charger it ramps quickly to the 70s then to the 80s after some time.

I have a very clean install of windows, no extraneous programs running. I've been thinking I have a bad unit and should warranty, but I'm worried that this cheap model just works like this normally. It works fine as long as it's not plugged in (pavilion 10 X2 with atom z8300)

..Edit: Of course HP is saying my warranty expired, when I actually have until June as indicated by my purchase receipt. Disputing. This may be my last HP purchase. I thought ASUS was bad.

HP Recommended

Ah, Okay.

My X-12 with a core M7 is running about 35-40 C regardless of charger.

So I don't know if the power board is running hot and over heating the cpu or something else.

Either way its definitely not normal.

I would go ahead and contact Support.

Contact HP Worldwide | HP® Official Site

HP Recommended
Try a simple cord usb 2 - usb c . I use a cheap one on mine and works. I use a smartphone power plug so this limits the power output with the result that electricity supply is poor but enough for the battery to keep its level while working.
HP Recommended

Let me say, you can use the eseekgo type c cable. It is the high quality and can work a long time. Hope this helps!

HP Recommended

I recently bought a Paviliion x2 10 becasue the possibility of recharging via usb while off the power grid. I'll be storring energy with  a romoss16000 ma h  battery and a charging that with an All powers 14 watt solar panel.  While this seems like a good plan, it appears that I won't be using my new computer that much in my travels because it is limited by the power of the internal battery as the computer won't accept charge from my external battery even when the computer is off.  If anyone has any off grid charging solution(s) for the Pavilion X2 10 2 in 1 computer, I would like to hear about it..... I t would appear that this  PC MAG article is wrong - The HP X2  computers WILL NOTaccepth charges from foreign sources even when  shut down..... OR please some one prove me wrong

HP Recommended

I just try to chage with my phone charger, not work too. Please enable BIOS to charge from different charger and cable.

I buy this small laptop to carry to work easily, but have to carry a large HP charger too? not make sense.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.