Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Elite x3 Lap Dock
Other

In the documentation, the only method listed for updating the Lap Dock firmware is to use an app that is exclusive to the HP Elite x3. I purchased a Lap Dock for use with a Lumia 950 that I already owned. Is there any other way that I can download and install the latest firmware without the HP phone?

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

Trying to flag this for #HPExpertDay 🙂

HP Recommended

I am in a similar situation. I have a Lumia 950 XL and decided to buy a HP Elite x3 lap dock. Overall I like the lap dock, but I would like to try a firmware update to make the touch pad work better.

HP Recommended

Am curious as well! I just bought a lapdock to use with Samsung DeX and my Galaxy S8. It works great, except for an issue with the battery button (after connecting to my S8 for the first time, pressing the button to view charge percentage no longer does anything as none of the LEDs light up). Hoping a firmware update fixes this!

EDIT: Resetting the lapdock by holding the power button for 15 seconds resolved the issue with the battery button.

If there's no solution to upgrading firmware without an Elite x3, I might go to a Microsoft store and use of their display models! Has anyone else tried this?

HP Recommended
I used to do similar antics at the apple store!! I felt so.....dirty!
HP Recommended

you felt dirty for being in the apple store..? i would too!

HP Recommended

Hey everyone!

Yes, you can update the Lap Dock with your Lumia.  In the Windows Store, look for the "HP Lap Dock Wireless Settings" app.  https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/p/hp-lap-dock-wireless-settings/9nblggh44029

It's free and you should be able to install it on your Lumia.  It will update the firmware for you.

Thanks!

-Chris

I work for HP.
HP Recommended

Thank you for that info! The app says it's not compatible with my device though (Lumia 950) Can HP do anything to the way the app is listed in the store to open it up to non-HP phones?

HP Recommended

Just bought a lapdock to use with my 950xl. It's working really well. Reboots now and then and I'm wondering if the firmware update will do that. The app says you can use it with PC but when I go to install it the windows store says my ThinkPad P50 isn't compatible. 

Anyone else have luck with this? Best option going to MS store in hopes up updating with display unit?

HP Recommended

How can u use s8&dex with lap dock while dex is hdmi out but lap dock has no hdmi in? use the type c port? but with what cable?

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.