Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP 10 Tablet
Android 4.4 - 4.4.4 KitKat

I've been trying to locate an update file for my HP 10 Tablet that I can load onto an SD card in order to recover the tablet's functionality. The only update.zip file I've been able to find is for China. When I search the HP Web Site for software for this tablet, I'm informed that there isn't anything available for it. I purchased the tablet in January of 2015 and, although it's long past warranty coverage, some software support should still be available for a tablet that is only four years old. Can anyone direct me to some assiatance with this issue? Thanks.

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi @Todd1946

Welcome to the HP Support Community. 

Click on this link to download and install the restore image for HP 10 Tablet. 

1. Download the update.zip file to your computer.

2. Copy the update.zip file into a microSD card. Do not rename or unzip this file.

3. Fully charge the tablet, and then disconnect the power from the device.

4. Power off the device.

5. Insert the microSD memory card into the reader slot.

6. Press and hold the volume up button and power button at the same time.

7. When the HP logo appears on the screen, release all the buttons.

8. When the Android system recovery menu appears, use the volume down button to highlight "apply update from external storage."

9. Press the power button to validate "apply update from external storage."

10. Use the volume down button to highlight the software recovery file, update.zip.

11. Press the power button to select the update.zip file and launch the recovery.

NOTE: Wait until the entire recovery process finishes. The device might seem unresponsive at times (multiple reboots and black screens) when it is performing the update.

When the update is complete, the Android screen displays the message at the bottom of the screen, "Install from external storage complete."

12. Press the power button to select, "reboot system now."

Let me know how that goes. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day!

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello asmita6658,

Thank you for your timely response to my request for assistance. When I clicked on the link to the update.zip file, I noticed that its description excluded the US and China. Since my interest is in restoring the image for my HP 10 tablet with an image that's compatible with usage in the United States, will the link provided in your response allow me to restore the tablet's image to its original format? Thank you for your assistance.

This is the description of the update.zip file that the link provided:
Google Android KitKat Restore Image for HP 10 - WW (Excluding China, US) (click to see Details about open source software, if applicable)

****************************************************************************************************************

Hello again, asmita6658,

I attempted to update my HP 10 tablet with the update.zip file provided but couldn't restore the image.

The update.zip file that you provided the link to is for a package that was created January 22, 2015 at 06:18 CST. The image that is currently on the tablet was created on January 22, 2015 at 22:41 CST. When I attempted to apply the earlier update that your link provided (created just 16 hours earlier), I got the following message:

"Can't install this package over newer build. Installation aborted".

Can you help me with this problem by providing a link to a later build? The image that is currently on the tablet is a Chinese update, which I inadvertently used to restore functionality to the tablet, not realizing that it was not a US based update. Thanks for your assistance.

HP Recommended

@Todd1946

Thanks for trying. 

I'd suggest you Contact HP in your region regarding this issue. 

Have  a great day!

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

If you, as an HP Support Agent, aren’t able to direct me to a United States recovery file for my HP 10 Tablet, then I probably won’t fare any better with your suggestion to “contact HP in my region”. I had hoped that your employment with HP would allow YOU to contact someone within your company to get recovery-file information for this Tablet. 

HP Recommended

Hi @Todd1946

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Community's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community.

If you wish to help to community grow, you may simply select “Accept as Solution” and hit the thumbs up to say thanks for my efforts.

Have a good day ahead.

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for your assistance.

HP Recommended

Hello Asmita6658,

Thanks again for referring my request for assistance to the next level. I was contacted by an HP support employee for more inforrmation about my HP 10 2101us Tablet, which I supplied in considerable detail. I received a response to the information I supplied, and subsequently responded with the message below:  

Hello again, TrinitySoMe;

Thank you for your timely response to the information I supplied for my HP 10 2101us Tablet. Your statement that the tablet appears to be a refurbished unit that was manufactured in Saudi Arabia in 2014 is very surprising to me. When I ordered this tablet from the HP website, there was no indication that this Tablet was a refurbished unit. I NEVER, knowingly, purchase refurbished products from ANY entity. My understanding at the time of purchase was that the Tablet was NEW, not REFURBISHED.

It’s unfortunate that HP discontinues support for its products that aren’t that old. I purchased the Tablet in December of 2014, so it’s less than four and a half years old. With today’s storage technology, it just seems absurd that Hewlett Packard wouldn’t store update zip files for its products for several years. Seriously, with servers that have multi-terabyte storage capacity, how difficult would it be to store compressed update files for ALL of its products? But, I suppose that wouldn’t be in HP’s financial best interest.

I appreciate your suggestion to: “contact either our Home & Home Office Group or our Commercial Department in your area to see what current models may fit your needs”, but based on the limited time period that HP supports its products, and failure to disclose that a product on its website is refurbished, I’ll have to rethink my options for future purchases.

Thanks, again for your assistance,

Todd Robinson

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.