Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Spectre x2
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello All,

GRRR!!!  I put my Spectre x2 into airplane mode...and after turning airplane mode off, Wi-Fi no longer works.

No WiFi 1.jpg

No WiFi 2.jpg

I put the computer in airplane mode a week or 2 after Windows Creator update...although, this is the first time I used airplane mode...so I have no idea if it is related to Creator update.

A full reboot did not fix the problem.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Keep in mind...I have no internet access.  I don't really want to buy a USB-to-CAT5 wired NIC if I don't have to (this would probably be the only time I would use it; unless Win10 had necessary drivers built in, I'd have to copy drivers to USB drive to install on Spectre x2).

Thanks,

CTB

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@CTBarbarin

You have been fabulous to work with considering your superb technical skills and valuable patience. Kudos to you for that.

Let us perform a Microsoft Push Button Reset. This repairs your computer by reinstalling the operating system. This can be done either while preserving your personal data and customizations, or removing all your personal data.

Please perform the steps mentioned in "Performing a push-button reset through Settings" from this HP document: https://hp.care/2toQrBj

NOTE: Just to be on the safer side, you may take a backup of anything that is very important to you before you initiate a push button reset.

Hope this helps. Let me know. I'll be glad to assist.

Good luck! 🙂

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@CTBarbarin

Welcome to HP Support Forums. 🙂

I came across your post and would like to assist. 

I understand that you have an HP Spectre x2 series laptop and the wifi connection does not work after disabling the airplane mode. 

I would like to know the following information to assist you better:

• Post the Windows creators update, I believe the laptop could connect to the wireless network. Is that correct?
  • Did any other software changes or updates happen on the laptop?
  • What is the exact laptop model number? This link will help you to locate the laptop model details: https://hp.care/2fzXWAI

While you respond to that. I recommend you to perform the following steps to isolate the issue and arrive at a fix: 

• Power off the laptop.
  • Disconnected AC adapter from the laptop.
  • Press and hold the power button for 15 seconds.
  • Reconnect the AC adapter.
  • Power ON the laptop.

Please perform a Microsoft System Restore to rollback the laptop to a previous date (after the date when Windows creators update happened). This will not delete your data. This steps mentioned in "Restore your computer when Windows starts normally" from this HP document should help: https://hp.care/2wYMB2R

Post a successful Microsoft System Restore if the wifi connection still does not work then let us uninstall the wireless card drivers and reinstall them. The following steps will help:

• Open the device manager

• In Windows, search for and open Device Manager.

• Select Device Manager in the menu.

Figure : Device Manager

Device Manager

• Expand "Network adapters". Right click on the wireless card drivers and select uninstall.
  • Close the device manager.
  • You may download and run the HP Support Assistant tool. This tool will scan your laptop and install the required drivers. Click here to download the HP Support Assistant.

• Click My devices on the top of the HP Support Assistant window, and then click Updates in the window for your device.

Figure : Updates in the My PC box

The Updates window opens.

• If HP Support Assistant detects updates, a list of updates displays in the Updates available window.

Figure : Updates window

Updates window
  • To check for recent updates, click Check for updates and messages.

HP Support Assistant connects to the HP servers and performs the following actions:

• Downloads messages and updates

• Gathers configuration information

• Analyzes your computer system

• Prepares an action list

If HP Support Assistant finds updates, they display in the Updates available window.

Figure : Updates available window

Updates available window
    • To postpone or delete a current update, use the following steps.

1. Next to the message you want to postpone, click Remind me.

2. Select Tomorrow, One week, or One month, depending on when you want to be reminded.

• To delete an update, click  next to the update.

• To install the update now, click the Install now icon () next to the update.

• To review completed and postponed actions, scroll down to the Action log section.

I sincerely hope this fixes the issue. Keep me posted for further assistance.

Cheers! 🙂

HP Recommended

WOW!!! MKazi, thank you for your extensive reply.  Hopefully one of your suggestions will fix my problem.

I'll answer your questions first before working my way through the list.

@MKaziwrote:

@CTBarbarin

I would like to know the following information to assist you better:
  • Post the Windows creators update, I believe the laptop could connect to the wireless network. Is that correct?
    • Correct!
  • Did any other software changes or updates happen on the laptop?
    • No, I don't believe so.
    • Keep in mind though, I have never used "Airplane Mode".  I don't know if Wi-Fi would have quit working prior to Windows Creator update.
  • What is the exact laptop model number?
    • Exact model number is 12-a008nr

Thanks again for all of your help.  I will let you know if any of your recommendations work.

CTB

HP Recommended

@CTBarbarin

You're most welcome. 🙂

Sure, please feel free to reply as conveniently as possible. 

Cheers! 

HP Recommended

Hi MKazi,

Some progress has been made...but first:

@MKaziwrote:

@CTBarbarin

Please perform a Microsoft System Restore to rollback the laptop to a previous date (after the date when Windows creators update happened).

System Restore/Protection was not enabled...so unfortunately, there are no restore points.

I noticed the Virtual Network Adapter for the VPN.  I recall that the version I had was not compatible with the Creators update...so I uninstalled it.

That helped somewhat...but now a new problemThe computer now recognizes the Wi-Fi Adapter hardware, I can turn it off and on and see all the networks in the area, but when I try to connect to my router, no internet/IP address:

No Internet 3.jpg

I connected to my router using the WPS button...so it should have all the necessary info.

When I log on to my router and query connected devices, this HP tablet does not show up.

@MKaziwrote:

@CTBarbarin

Post a successful Microsoft System Restore if the wifi connection still does not work then let us uninstall the wireless card drivers and reinstall them.

I did uninstall/reinstall.  I even manually updated drivers (downloaded on a working computer, copied to USB drive, executed on nonworking HP).  I took screen shots of the version number before and after...there was a slight change in version numbers...so it did update.  Still can't get to the internet.

When I ran the troubleshooter it found 2 errors (1 with the Wi-Fi adapter and 1 with the cellular adapter) and unsuccessfully tried to fix the errors.

When I looked at the details of the failed results, the error message that displayed was "Windows couldn't automatically bind the ip protocol stack to the network adapter".

Thanks again for all of your help,

CTB

HP Recommended

@CTBarbarin

You have been fabulous to work with considering your superb technical skills and valuable patience. Kudos to you for that.

Let us perform a Microsoft Push Button Reset. This repairs your computer by reinstalling the operating system. This can be done either while preserving your personal data and customizations, or removing all your personal data.

Please perform the steps mentioned in "Performing a push-button reset through Settings" from this HP document: https://hp.care/2toQrBj

NOTE: Just to be on the safer side, you may take a backup of anything that is very important to you before you initiate a push button reset.

Hope this helps. Let me know. I'll be glad to assist.

Good luck! 🙂

HP Recommended

MKazi,

Thanks again for all of your help.  That worked.  I am writing this reply from the Spectre!

It is unfortunate that it came down to a "Push Button Reset" (inappropriately named; nothing "push button" about it :-)).  It seems that is the modern day "reformat harddrive & reinstall".

Hopefully the issue was with the Checkpoint VPN...and I won't lose Wi-Fi every time I put the thing in Airplane Mode...I'll have to do some testing...after enabling System Restore/Protection...and forming the habit of backing up (and restoring, if necessary)...maybe one day I'll learn!!!  😄

Thanks agian,

CTB

HP Recommended

@CTBarbarin

Thanks for the reply.

It looks like you were interacting with MKazi, but he is out for the day & I'll be glad to help you out. 
I'm Raj1788 & I'm at your service.  

I am so glad that the information provided by MKazi has solved the issue.

Appreciate all the time and efforts.

Please feel free to get back to us with any technical queries.

Have a great day!

Cheers:)

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.