Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
ElitePad 1000 G2
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello HP Community.

I am trying to update my HP ElitePad 1000 G2 OS (from Windows 10 x64 v1709 compilation 16299.1087) to version 1803 or 1809, and I always get an error after rebooting when applying the updates at 51% with the error code "0cx1900101 - 0x30018".

The result is always the same whenever I use the following methods:

• updating to version 1803 using Windows Update (version 1803 amd64 2019-04 functionality update)
  • updating to version 1809 using Windows 10 Update Assistant
  • updating to version 1809 using a USB Windows installation drive
  • doing an in-place upgrade to the same version (v1709) to repair possible errors

and trying each of the following options in each above method:

• Run SFC with the following switches (I got no errors on each checking):

Dism /online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

Dism /Online /Get-drivers

/Scannow

• Run CHKDSK C: /f (no errors found)
  • Reset Windows Update components, using Windows Update Troubleshooter and Manually resetting SoftwareDistribution and Catroot2 folders
  • My ElitePad has all the drivers updated with no exclamation marks on Device Manager. Windows Update and HP Support Assistant do not indicate any new driver to be installed
  • There are no pending updates to apply
  • My OS drive (C:) is not encrypted
  • The only one installed antivirus software is Microsoft Defender ( I tried to disable it)
  • Tried to run the setup after a Clean boot
  • Tried to run the setup without any peripherals attached
  • Tried to disconnect the network and run setup directly from a USB drive

But the problem was always the same. After I get the error message “Windows could not configure one or more system components…” the previous version (v1709) is restored.

Reviewing C:\$WINDOWS.~BT\Sources\Panther\setuperr.txt log file, I got errors related to:

• C:\$WINDOWS.~BT\Drivers\DU\d5a7b510-a9c7-4f6e-ad9c-0f53f3bf6534
  • %SystemRoot%\system32\DRIVERS\UMDF\uicciso.dll
  • Plugin {52776FBF-403C-49cc-b7cb-dd557f36096A} already loaded
  • Plugin {526D451C-721A-4b97-AD34-DCE5D8CD22C5}Failed to get preferred homegroup with hr=0x80070490
  • Plugin {ff9c714f-b864-4f43-ae39-ec07d7385abe} Root device 'ROOT\MULTIFUNCTION\0000' does not have driver; oot device 'ROOT\MULTIFUNCTION\0001' does not have driver
  • Plugin {ee036dc0-f9b7-4d2d-bb94-3dd3102c5804}
  • Error copying boot debugging files from C:\$WINDOWS.~BT\Sources\system32 to \\?\GLOBALROOT\Device\HarddiskVolume2\EFI\Microsoft\Boot

Does anyone knows how to resolve this problem, without having to reset or refresh Windows install?

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Finally, I have reached to a solution for this problem that I want to share with you:

I have tried all kind of actions to bypass this Windows 10 “upgrade” problem, as SFC, DISM and CHKDSK error check, Windows Update reset, but I could not upgrade from Windows 10 v1709 to v1803 or to v1809 getting an error at 52% when applying the update. Please note that I have also tried to do an in-place upgrade, repeating the actual v1709 setup but I have reached to the same error.

Reviewing C:\$WINDOWS.~BT\Sources\Panther\setuperr.txt log file, several times after each “upgrade” attempt, I found out that the error at 52% when applying the update (from 1709 version to version 1803 or to 1809) had something to do with IIS (Internet Information Services) malfunction on my ElitePad (please note that IIS feature was not selected in Control Panel > Programs & Features > Windows Features)

So I have taken these steps to reach to a successful “upgrade”:

• Rebooted PC in Safe Mode
  • Deleted all files inside C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Crypto\RSA\MachineKeys
  • Renamed the folder C:\Windows\System32\inetsrv to inetsrv.old
  • Booted in Normal Mode
  • Tried to activate the install of IIS on Control Panel > Programs & Features > Windows Features, but getting an error at the end of install
  • Downloaded and run Microsoft .NET Framework Repair Tool, and tried to activate the IIS install again (some error at the end of the process)
  • Installed Microsoft .NET Framework 4.8 runtime
  • tried to activate the IIS install again (some error at the end of the process)
  • I think the main point to correct my issue is what I did next:
    • I saw that the feature WAS (Windows Activation Services) had something to do with IIS, and its install was active, so I have deselected it and the service was uninstalled.
    • I rebooted PC and finally I could apply the Windows Update from v1709 to v1803.
    • Then I used Windows 10 Update Assistant to go from v1803 to v1809.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Finally, I have reached to a solution for this problem that I want to share with you:

I have tried all kind of actions to bypass this Windows 10 “upgrade” problem, as SFC, DISM and CHKDSK error check, Windows Update reset, but I could not upgrade from Windows 10 v1709 to v1803 or to v1809 getting an error at 52% when applying the update. Please note that I have also tried to do an in-place upgrade, repeating the actual v1709 setup but I have reached to the same error.

Reviewing C:\$WINDOWS.~BT\Sources\Panther\setuperr.txt log file, several times after each “upgrade” attempt, I found out that the error at 52% when applying the update (from 1709 version to version 1803 or to 1809) had something to do with IIS (Internet Information Services) malfunction on my ElitePad (please note that IIS feature was not selected in Control Panel > Programs & Features > Windows Features)

So I have taken these steps to reach to a successful “upgrade”:

• Rebooted PC in Safe Mode
  • Deleted all files inside C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Crypto\RSA\MachineKeys
  • Renamed the folder C:\Windows\System32\inetsrv to inetsrv.old
  • Booted in Normal Mode
  • Tried to activate the install of IIS on Control Panel > Programs & Features > Windows Features, but getting an error at the end of install
  • Downloaded and run Microsoft .NET Framework Repair Tool, and tried to activate the IIS install again (some error at the end of the process)
  • Installed Microsoft .NET Framework 4.8 runtime
  • tried to activate the IIS install again (some error at the end of the process)
  • I think the main point to correct my issue is what I did next:
    • I saw that the feature WAS (Windows Activation Services) had something to do with IIS, and its install was active, so I have deselected it and the service was uninstalled.
    • I rebooted PC and finally I could apply the Windows Update from v1709 to v1803.
    • Then I used Windows 10 Update Assistant to go from v1803 to v1809.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.