Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
M477
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Ok - this is an update to my previous post that "died" without a satisfactory ending

Background & Historical stuff:

I have an HP MFP M477fdw, (and before that, an HP MFP M425)
Both of these MFPs have a Touch sensitive LCD Display Panel, where options may be set, and actions performed 

I use Windows 10 and my printer is connected via Lan - NOT USB or WiFi

When I first installed these printers, the advice was to install the "Full Solution Software" which I did (from the CD that came with the printer)

Before Installing the Software, the Printer's Display Panel "Scan" Menu Option had sub-menu options of:

"Scan to USB Drive, Scan to Network Folder, and Scan to E-mail"

After installing, the Printer's Display Panel "Scan" Menu Option had an extra sub-menu option of:  "Scan to Computer"

As time went by...

HP released New Drivers, New Full Solution Firmware, and New Firmware - all of which I installed 

Somewhere along the way, I noticed that my printer(s) had "Lost" their "Scan to Computer" Option

After repeated Installs & un-installs, I now believe I have the cause and a solution

The Cause:

The Full Solution Software does NOT install the "Scan to Computer" Option

The Software on the CD is NOT the the Full Solution Software

The Software on the CD installs the "Scan to Computer" Option

The Solution:  (in brief)

Install the Full Solution Software - (the Software on the CD is quite "old") ...

In my case, the Full Solution installed a printer named "HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP M477 PCL6"

Next - in Windows 10 > Settings > Devices, Printer & Scanners, Click on "Add a printer or scanner"

Windows will "Discover" a printer named "HPM477 (HP Color LaserJet MFP M477fdw)" - note the slightly different name

You should now see "Scan to Computer" has been added to the Printer's Display Panel "Scan" option

(You may have to restart the printer)

Selecting the "Scan to Computer" option, should expand to display furthur options of:

Scan to yourcomputername

Scan for Print to yourcomputername

Scan for E-mail to yourcomputername

Scan for Fax to yourcomputername

Scan for OCR to yourcomputername 

I hope this helps

I also hope HP Support read this, because they told me it couldn't be done

p.s. just to emphasise:

This Guide ONLY concerns initiating a scan via the printer's Display Panel, to your PC  

You may also whish to change your Printing Preferences & Defaults for 2-Sided Printing etc.

-Tom

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.