cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
eriq
Level 2
17 9 0 2
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post

Audio control issues on dv7-1450 running Win7 64 RTM

HP Recommended

This is a minor issue and separate problem from my previous post. After installing Windows 7 64 RTM on dv7-1450, Windows automatically found and installed the audio drivers. Sound worked ok after install and the touch-sensitive volume/mute controls seemed to work ok, but the mute button didn't change color when pressed.  So I went to HP's site and downloaded the available audio drivers for Windows Vista 64. Oddly, the mute button changed from white to red after installing, but ALL the sound stopped working too. The mute button no longer worked and was stuck red.

Uninstalling the HP audio drivers and letting Windows re-install the default audio drivers again restored my audio and changed the mute button color from red to white again, but the button still doesn't fully work as it should. The mute button works, but it doesn't change to red when mute is off. A low priority issue IMO, but just posting it to boards in case it's a bug that needs to be fixed soon.

5 REPLIES 5
DollarFitty
Level 1
11 11 0 1
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

dv7-1450 running Win7 RC x64 build 7100

Sadly I have nothing positive to add here except that this situation is almost identical to mine (although the lead up is different).

My symptoms are:

When the system completes boot-up and login, the touch-mute button is orange/red and no sound comes from the built in speakers.  The operating system volume indicator indicates that the system is not muted.  The audio jacks output operate fine.  The expanded volume icon (left click) demonstrates that sound is being sent somewhere, presumedly to any appropriate audio device, and audio can be heard from the headphones when plugged in.

When the mute button is pressed, the mute button continues to stay red, and the system speakers continue to stay silent.  The volume icon changes to its muted version and (when plugged in) headphones go mute.  The expanded volume icon shows greyed sound levels, indicating that sound is available but not being sent to devices.

A slightly different symptom, but probably related:  When the "Speakers and Dual Headphones" are examined by properties (Right Click volume icon\Double-click Speakers and Dual Headphones) the page indicates that there is only one jack available.  This property page used to show two jacks (for this system there are two headphone jacks).  I'd be interested to know if eriq is also experiencing this symptom.

I think this began when I left the system on mute on shutdown so that it would be on mute when I turned the system back on.  An update (8/26/09) may have occured to cause this as well, but I really don't know when the problem began since I was intentionally using the computer without sound for quite a few days.

I expect that this is related to the many numerous Vista issues with HP quick-buttons, for which there seems to be a different solution for every individual who experiences such problems.  Many threads seem to have similar issues, including having the HP mute button stuck on mute, but usually outputing no sound whatsoever (I don't know how many check with headphones though)...  Searches for "orange mute" and "red mute" and "stuck on mute" reveal some of these other threads.

So far I have not been able to repair the problem by replacing either the codec (no suprise) or the current audio driver.  Any ideas?  Does any of this correlate with your experience eriq?

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
SWY
Level 4
89 87 2 18
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Please keep in mind that you are running an OS for which HP has not yet released drivers.  There really isn't much you can (or should) do until Windows 7 drivers are forthcoming.  Yes, you can run lots of Vista drivers, and some will almost certainly be the Windows 7 drivers in the end, but it is a new OS and Vista drivers really should not be forced onto a Windows 7 machine.  It is really just asking for problems.  Messing with things just to get a light to turn color, when the functionality is already correct is really something you are doing at your own risk....

Stephen

DollarFitty
Level 1
11 11 0 1
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Stephen,

While the 'warning to use at your own risk' is something that might be considered valuable to some, it certianly does not help with the troubleshooting or add product development knowledge base.  W7RC had 'use at your own risk' written all over it and doesn't really deserve repetition unless we are griping about shoddy workmanship in either HPs product or MSs product.  That has not happened here.  The good is, perhaps, your comment will help dissuade inexperienced users from attempting non-standard modifications to their computers.  However it is counter-productive to finding solutions that users will find helpful or to developers who then use the solutions to build in correct product functionality (even before product releases).

For me at least the 'light' is not the problem, merely a symptom.  In my situation the problem extended to no sound from the built-in speakers.  The functionality was not correct. If this wasn't evident from my earlier post, it should be now.

However, you have given me the opportunity to point out that the reason I tried W7 was because Vista (a supported OS) really perfomed poorly out of the box and even with HP support.  Others also have had similar issues (refer to my above post, many people have had very similar issues when using Vista with no blanket solution clearly available from HP).  With only a couple of months until full support it was very much a gamble worth taking, and it is certianly worthwhile to (attempt to) make HP aware ahead of time what issues may arise from the myriad of configurations they have put to market with promise of W7 support.

D

DollarFitty
Level 1
11 11 0 1
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Update:

Removed both the "High Definition Audio Device" and the "IDT High Definition Audio CODEC" and followed up with an immediate reboot.  This seems to have solved the issue almost entirely.  Sound has returned and the HP mute button functions as designed.  Interestingly, however, the "Speakers and Dual Headphones" properties page (Right Click volume icon\Double-click Speakers and Dual Headphones) continues to show only one jack, but this is a non-functional issue.

The solution has remained stable for three reboots, and under both standard and admin logins.

D

roxaz
2 2 0 0
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended
My dv7-1130en is running windows 7 RC with no problems whatsoever. *ALL* drivers worked from SwSetup folder that was on C:\ when i bought laptop, so those are standard vista drivers. Only network driver and some other driver didnt install correctly, but windows 7 prompted if i would like to install those with recommended settings, clicked yes and drivers installed. Remote controls work, im not sure if built in dvb-t tuner works, because i have no way to test it. One thing does not work - that is quick play button. But i dont use it anyway. Device manager is all happy, no unrecognized devices whatsoever. Now i have no plans on installing RTM as i suspect there might be kerenl changes that would make old vista drivers uncompatible, but im not 100% sure.
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation