cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
john2830
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post

C5180 and Win 7RC Drivers go missing

HP Recommended

I have a Photosmart C5180 which has worked well on my XPSP3 installation.  I installed a separate hard disk in same box for Win 7RC.  I have installed and uninstalled the Suite for the Printer several times over the last couple of months.  Originally it installs successfully and I can use it for a few days for both printing and scanning.  Then, days later, inexplicably upon booting the OS wants to update / correct the drivers for the C5180.  No matter what I choose to do (allow, close the box without action or choose cancel) I then attempt to open the "HP Solution Center" only to be told there are no HP devices to be found.  

The recently downloaded suite from the HP website stops installation telling me my OS is not supported.

I don't know if this is particular to C5180 or is an HP problem in general, but I'm ready to try a different brand of printer just to avoid the headaches associated with my setup. BTW - I also have the suite installed on a Vista Laptop I am running without the issues I am seeing on Win 7RC. 

I did attempt to use the Compatibility mode which seemed to work for a day, but the next day there was again a problem with the drivers and again there were no HP products installed per Solution Center but all the HP software was there in the Control Panel / Programs.

I have always liked HP printers, but maybe it's time to let go. 

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
DexterM
Level 10
4,502 4,478 304 1,048
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Let go? Why? Because your HP printer software is not working correctly on an OS whose stable version has not yet been released to the public, and for which the printer drivers and software has not yet been released too? Besides, none of the major printer manufacturers have released Windows 7 drivers and software yet.
I am an ex-HP Employee. Currently inactive on the forum.
0 Kudos
john2830
Author
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Maybe I'm expecting too much.  Through 2 betas, and now an RC I would hope that a Microsoft "Partner" would be a little more ready.  Especially considering the countless numbers of folks who have jumped on the beta and RC bandwagon.  I fully realize that the RC is not to be used as "production" but unless the masses of testers MS has assembled by releasing this software do so, we're bound to see a repeat of the software incompatibility issues thrust upon us with Vista.  

Since this is the last, most polished version prior to RTM, how good should I feel that HP will have worked out all the problems by Oct. 22 when this thing goes live and really is blessed as "production"?  Can't I have something as a "beta" or RC from HP that might benefit both them and myself?   

It is discerning that so far, that with the exception of my printer, I can get my software that works successfully on XP and Vista to work on the RC.  In fairness, a search will turn up issues with other printer manufacturers' products as well.  Perhaps my expectations should be throttled but it seems that some folks have been successful with this.  Wonder what the difference is?

0 Kudos
DexterM
Level 10
4,502 4,478 304 1,048
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I'm not part of the Software and drivers development team, so i cant say anything about the integrity of the drivers that will eventually be released. AFAIK, manufacturers only finalize their drivers after the RTM version is released. I guess they do start developing the software when the betas and RC's come out as that'll give them the base idea of how W7 works. But they cannot finalize it.

Most OS's have pre-included drivers that enable the printers to work right after being plugged it. Maybe this is how other folks are getting it to work. But this will only be the basic printer or scanner drivers, and full functionality may not be available. I am confident that with the final release of W7 and the W7 printer drivers, everything will work.
0 Kudos
DexterM
Level 10
4,502 4,478 304 1,048
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended
BTW, from what I've seen so far, HP doesnt release any beta or RC software to the public. They only release the full, stable version.
0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation