cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Terry57
Level 3
43 24 0 1
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post

Can a notebook be used without a battery connected, on AC only?

HP Recommended

I have a new, HP Pavilion g6z laptop with Windows 7 Pro.  My question is general in nature. Since I use my laptop usually at home, can I remove the battery and power it from AC only?  Would doing so prolong the life of the battery?

Thanks, Terry

1 REPLY 1
Paul_Tikkanen
Level 21
Level 21
134,981 124,337 20,690 31,777
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi, Terry:

Yes you can, but there is no benefit from doing so.  Today's notebooks are powered by smart adapters which do not overcharge the battery, and unless you strictly adhere to maintaining the proper charge level of a battery to be kept in storage, you may do more harm than good.

What I do recommend is at least once a month, unplug the adapter from the wall and let the notebook run off the battery down to where you get the low battery warning, then plug the charger back in.  In other words, fully discharge, then recharge the battery for best battery performance and duration.

Paul

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation